• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Comic Art vs. Comic Books - Wall Street Analysis

209 posts in this topic

While you may be right that OA is a better long term investment then Comic Books, does it really matter?

People collector comic books for one reason and OA for another.

Plus, for me, only talking from an INVESTMENT point of view, I really don't have a clue what a piece is worth. I know someone who wanted the Kirby FF #5 Doctor Doom origin page in Heritage's Signature auction. When it was at $5K, he was still in the game, but I ask was he still interested when it went to $10K and he said no, too rich for him.

It ended up going for over $25K.

My point is that if I'm looking for a comic book (especially CGC'd), I probably had SOME IDEA what is a good price or not. With orignal art, I have NO IDEA and even people who want a particular piece have NO IDEA as it only takes one buyer with a lot of money to pay whatever it takes to get that piece. But the page right after that might sell for only 10% of that price, just because it's DIFFERENT. In other words, from an Investment Point, each OA page is Apples to Oranges where as with Comic Books, you can do a lot of Apples to Apples comparisons.

But I thought 'Captains Of Industry' said he tracks ASM sales and there has NEVER been a public sale of a 9.4 that has come anywhere close to 100K ?

Do me a favor and post the auction link so this joker-bozo can see he be clueless.

You misread my post--I said it was a 9.6. foreheadslap.gif Nice joker-bozo clueless crack there. 27_laughing.gif

In any event, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2289020498

There is a huge difference between origin art and comics, especially silver age. If you pass on a page of original art, it may be gone for good (try to get Metro to part with some of his stuff), for comics, if I miss out on a Spider-Man 14 in 9.4, that's okay another one will come along.

many here have thought about liquidating their books and moving to original art ?

Not too many people are going to liquidate their comic collections and move to original art. I know CGCFan has done it, but we're talking about a very small number of people. Frankly, the economics just don't make sense for 99% of collectors out there. For example, a Dave Cockrum GS X-Men #1 panel page went for $17,250 (including the juice) in the latest Heritage auction. You would have to sell more than six CGC 9.6 copies of GS #1 (assuming a $2,800 price) just to buy that one page. Most people with average size comic collections could liquidate everything they own and still not be able to afford anything they really like. I prefer original art over comics, but I'd much rather own a really nice comic collection with a lot of cool books than trade it all away for a few panel pages at today's ridiculous prices.

With prices where they are now, the number of people migrating from comics to original comic art will be a trickle, not a flood. Most "blue chip" comic art (and I use that term loosely, since prices are so inflated that I wouldn't dare call original art an investment) is going to set you back at least a couple of thousand dollars, and can easily escalate to 3, 5, 10, 15 or more times as much, as your Heritage auction examples show. The vast majority of people out there will only be able to afford very recent material which in most cases I doubt will hold its value (not that the blue chip stuff necessarily will either, IMO).

I agree with what Gene has said. Prices for most OA is getting out of hand that people that have really nice collections wouldn't be able to afford them if they were to buy them now. - But i am also seeing that most pre 1965 comics in high grade keep going north. How long this will continue is anyone's guess, but it seems to be the cliche that you "pay more now (quality) " then you sell for more later. " - I have had an easier time selling pieces for a decent profit , more so than ever did with comics....simply because there is nothing to compare "the last one sold for this" - type of thing.

While not all OA is a good investment, and I think that most people aren't buying for the investment aspect, simply it's more of an ego driven thing of having the piece....having a nice high grade copy of ASM 50 sitting in a box is one thing, but having a nice splash hanging on your wall where you can see it and enjoy is another....and it's not about what will that piece sell for in the future.

Most collectors sell things in order to buy more expensive pieces. I just sold a few pieces and currently have a couple of pieces on Ebay now (thanks for the bids! ) and i am only selling in order to buy two much more expensive covers (Bolland and a Ross ) -

I think although more people will get into art, it will be more of the comic collector picking up a few pieces, grabbing pieces here and there, but staying with comics. This will be in part of the cost of OA, but also due to the availabilty of one person owning a particular book in say, 9.6, only to have 4 other copies in 9.6 for that collector to seek out. Collectors want the hunt, but they also want it to be realistic. DAM60 and I would love to get some Death in Family art, and it will probably never happen....some collectors don't want to play that game...

many here have thought about liquidating their books and moving to original art ?

....having a nice high grade copy of ASM 50 sitting in a box is one thing, but having a nice splash hanging on your wall where you can see it and enjoy is another....

Yes, I would much rather look at my art everyday than head over to the safety deposit box to view my comic books in private...all alone confused.gif

But I thought 'Captains Of Industry' said he tracks ASM sales and there has NEVER been a public sale of a 9.4 that has come anywhere close to 100K ?

Do me a favor and post the auction link so this joker-bozo can see he be clueless.

27_laughing.gif A little sensitive are we?

Do yourself a favor and work on your reading comprehension. JP's auction was for a 9.6, not a 9.4.

Again.....

JP's auction was for a 9.6, not a 9.4.

9.6 is a HIGHER number than 9.4.

Still with me?

So, if 9.6 is a HIGHER number than 9.4, that means that a 9.6 is in better shape than a 9.4.

I would advise that you print out a copy of this post and study it for 15 mintues every night before bed until you understand it. Hopefully you'll get it in 2-3 weeks time, but you've got to really want it. You can PM me if you have any questions, but I can't help you if you're not willing to put forth the effort.

I've switched over to original art. I enjoy the hunt much more and feel more comfortable paying for art versus ponying up multiples of guide for CGC graded books that I know there are a lot of in grade out there. Art is one of a kind, heck sometimes finding a nice page from a particular artist on a particular title can take you years to have the opportunity to buy one. Comic dealers/collectors will sell any book if the price is right, not so with art collectors who tend to value nice art over cash since once they sell they may never get that piece or one like it again. As for is the original art market overpriced? Maybe some pieces are thanks to the fact that its much easier to control/manipulate something with such a small number versus hoarding every Hulk 181 out there. I still have all my Golden age/silver collection but if the right art comes along it will all go with no regrets, I can always buy the comics back.

By the way Destro, I don't really think that high grade SA, particularly 6 figure books, have much more room for growth. I also agree that buying top census books is the easiest way to lose your money in this hobby. But you can't really compare art to comics, and you can't make arguments using sales data that dosen't exist. But if your ego is so fragile, and if your head is so far up your arse that you can't see that you made a mistake with your comparison, then I may as well put you on "ignore". You're obviously intent on proving that OA is a better investment, and you're probably doing so inorder to justify to yourself the money you've spent, or plan on spending on the hobby. My advice is that if you want to have a mature discussion of this topic, that's great. But if you're going to act like a 13 year old brat everytime someone disagrees with you, I suggest you stop trying to justify your hobby and just enjoy it. In other words, just STFU.

By the way Destro, I don't really think that high grade SA, particularly 6 figure books, have much more room for growth. I also agree that buying top census books is the easiest way to lose your money in this hobby. But you can't really compare art to comics, and you can't make arguments using sales data that dosen't exist. But if your ego is so fragile, and if your head is so far up your arse that you can't see that you made a mistake with your comparison, then I may as well put you on "ignore". You're obviously intent on proving that OA is a better investment, and you're probably doing so inorder to justify to yourself the money you've spent, or plan on spending on the hobby. My advice is that if you want to have a mature discussion of this topic, that's great. But if you're going to act like a 13 year old brat everytime someone disagrees with you, I suggest you stop trying to justify your hobby and just enjoy it. In other words, just STFU.

Well said. 893applaud-thumb.gif

How many here have thought about liquidating their books and moving to original art ?

hi.gif

When I switched to original art, I didn't have the heart to sell my books. A couple years later, I sold a few.... but I still have 95% of them to this day.

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

takeit.gif