• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED

213 posts in this topic

Geez, what a terrible situation man. Obviously the buyer needs a Boston Bowtie for his mis treating. He's obviously not taking into consideration that accidents happen. I mean, he was taking a risk as it is getting the book cracked and signed. People sometimes.. Other than that, hope all works out buddy.. :wishluck:

45 seems like more than enough time and 180 is absurd.

Two weeks is more than enough time. Buyers remorse tends to set in rather quickly....so for someone to possibly wait 180 days is beyond reasonable.

What Paypal is doing is setting themselves up to allow riskless gambling.

For example, I buy "X" comic for "X" dollars. Then I try and sell it for a profit for 179 days. If it doesn't sell....eeeeh, I can send it back and get a refund.

Heaven forbid it decreases in value! :o

The comic market is bad enough with the movie speculation, but think about the sports card market. Hot prospects sell for big bucks; what happens if they don't pan out or even worse they get injured. It's been said by many people that ebay wants to be Amazon; more mass prduced products and less collectibles. Seems like they are making the correct changes if that's the case.

Aside from all of the other great points being made here, it also seems to be another case of people expecting 9.8's to be perfect. 9.8's aren't perfect books. They're near perfect. If you want perfect, buy a 10.0. If you buy a 9.8, you have to accept the fact that there may be some tiny defects. With the speculation tide rising, the game is changing, but the new players don't seem to understand the rules.

Aside from all of the other great points being made here, it also seems to be another case of people expecting 9.8's to be perfect. 9.8's aren't perfect books. They're near perfect. If you want perfect, buy a 10.0. If you buy a 9.8, you have to accept the fact that there may be some tiny defects. With the speculation tide rising, the game is changing, but the new players don't seem to understand the rules.

Summary:

Don't play in the deep end unless you're prepared to swim!

Summary:

^^

Summary:

That's why you need floaties.. (shrug):insane:

What Roy described is what got Toys R Us to limit sales and keep a list of certain people during the mid 90's. There were comic stores and toy scrubs that would buy up the merchandise, sell what they could at a premium then return whatever wasn't moving before the 90 day return period ended.

Summary:

that's why I only deal in Drek :whee:

Buyer of this book is getting rightfully slain in the comments but what facilitator gave him the advice to help him along in the process? Hopefully no advice of "return the book" came from that end of this.

Buyer of this book is getting rightfully slain in the comments but what facilitator gave him the advice to help him along in the process? Hopefully no advice of "return the book" came from that end of this.

I don't have a problem with a facilitator offering advice to manage a buyer's expectations of HIS service (getting a book signed and slabbed) They should be able to advise their customers what they feel is likely to occur, in their opinion, if the book is re-subbed. That's what people expect from these guys I thought - I've seen plenty of complaints about books dropping a grade when signed with blame being directed at facilitators.

(shrug)

How the buyer conducts himself after buying is on him alone, any decisions he makes are his and any advice from anyone is just advice that he can take or leave. I don't think the facilitator gets any stink on them from this even if they said "well I told you what I think and it's not cracked yet so you could try to return it (shrug) "

I generally think whole idea of buying and selling graded books is that they are what they are, returns should only be requested in extreme situations & I don't see this as one of those extreme situations. However, I also don't see the relevance of the OP's premature settling with this unknown seller as having any real bearing on our expectations of the buyer or the current condemnation of the buyer's actions.

Summary:

that's why I only deal in Drek :whee:

And wonderful drek at that! :cloud9:

Buyer got exactly what he paid for. Sounds like a real winner. And if the book was cracked out it is even more ridiculous to ask for a refund.

Winner.

John, although the buyer told you his intent in terms of what he planned to do with the book, I don't think anyone could ever say, or even bargain, that seller guarantees a grade on a sale upon signature, regrading, and reslabbing of a book.

Buyer got exactly what he paid for. Sounds like a real winner. And if the book was cracked out it is even more ridiculous to ask for a refund.

Winner.

John, although the buyer told you his intent in terms of what he planned to do with the book, I don't think anyone could ever say, or even bargain, that seller guarantees a grade on a sale upon signature, regrading, and reslabbing of a book.

I agree with this. otherwise what's the point of a third party even slabbing a book? Isn't it to avoid disputes about grade?

Don't think anyone said they are, Chip. It all comes down to the adage that most of us on here know (the one about buying the book not the ...). Granted there are some screwy additional facts, but the bloodlust in this thread seems a bit much. Returns are a part of doing business. Opening paypal dispute (based on what we know) was wrong, however.

What Roy described is what got Toys R Us to limit sales and keep a list of certain people during the mid 90's. There were comic stores and toy scrubs that would buy up the merchandise, sell what they could at a premium then return whatever wasn't moving before the 90 day return period ended.

We still do this at BJs Wholesale. No one has ever complained or even spoken to us about it.