• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2024 at 3:18 AM, Silver said:

Thank you! I've been actively collecting Superman related titles for 40 years now! I don't try to get the best copies, just nice looking ones. I've found that as I've completed some runs I'm looking for upgrades of lower graded copies, it keeps my collecting interest high. I've also picked up some issue that are outside the range of issues I normally go after, such as these two because I liked the covers. 

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_5620.jpeg

Always liked the perspective on the Adventure 202. Your Action 220 has such beautiful colors and whites.

A few posts previous to this one Silver has posted two books with "Exciting News! Gigantic Contest! 5000 Prizes"

Books with this cover feature are a collecting subset in their own right. Except that the contest would have tempted readers to take a pair of scissors to their books of this type...

5000prizes.jpg

5000prizes2.jpg

5000prizes3.jpg

5000prizes4.jpg

On 4/11/2024 at 10:18 PM, Silver said:

I've been actively collecting Superman related titles for 40 years now! 

Were the "Superman" titles your favourites as a kid? Did they include Jimmy Olsen and the "Superboy" titles? What were your main collecting years as a kid? Mine were 1962-65 but of course I'd managed to trade back for a number of 1960-61 issues.

I don't try to get the best copies, just nice looking ones.

That's like me. I want nice copies that fit in with the rest of my comics. My definition of "nice" though frequently differs from CGC's. I like white, bright copies and I hate spine/staple wear and mis-wraps. I don't focus as much on ancillary nicks as does CGC.

I've found that as I've completed some runs I'm looking for upgrades of lower graded copies, it keeps my collecting interest high. I've also picked up some issue that are outside the range of issues I normally go after....

My experience as well. When I seriously started recollecting the comics of my formative years in 1979, I defined my priorities very tightly. I actually didn't even include the Giants from even my favourite titles such as Flash or Justice League of America! But over the last few decades I've added lots of titles I previously considered secondary or tertiary - including the Giants of course!

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Hepcat, when I first started "collecting" comics in 1973 at the age of eleven I predominantly bought the Superman titles including Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Action, World's Finest, and the Superboy and Adventure titles as well. I specifically remember buying DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #21 (a Superboy issue) that when I opened it up and the Superboy story had a little box that said "Adventure of Superman when he was a boy" that was when I first realized they were the same person :facepalm:

I also remember cleaning my neighbor's garage for $1 and the immediately going to 7-11 and buying DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #22 with the Flash and a Slurpee! I really loved those early giants, I also started buying Brave and the Bold starting with #112 and fell in love with the Viking Prince reprints. I ended up buying B&B until it's final issue, #200. t

Those giants frequently had cover galleries of the original issues or referred to them, that got me going on back issue hunts from an early age. 

I eventually started buying Amazing Spider-man, Avengers (George Perez issues) and the New X-Men as well. Around '84 I decided to narrow my back issue collecting to DC's and went on to complete Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Superboy runs, and got deep runs of silver age Superman, Action, Adventure and World's Finest. I limited myself to silver and early bronze age to keep the scope as something achievable, plus, those were the books I liked the most always. 

I bought new comics up till about five years ago, but have since mostly lost interest in them, although I do pick up the random TP now and then if something interests me. 

I think those of us that collect runs are a dying breed in comics. I love putting together full sets or deep runs. I have some titles I have been working on for decades, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I have every issue but continue to upgrade whenever I see a nice copy. 

Sugar and Spike, five issues away and a dozen or so I'd like to upgrade, a seriously impossible run to put together but I think I have a really nice run, possibly the best. 

Ok, enough rambling :banana:

On 4/12/2024 at 4:29 AM, steelcity said:

A few posts previous to this one Silver has posted two books with "Exciting News! Gigantic Contest! 5000 Prizes"

Books with this cover feature are a collecting subset in their own right. Except that the contest would have tempted readers to take a pair of scissors to their books of this type...

5000prizes.jpg

5000prizes2.jpg

5000prizes3.jpg

5000prizes4.jpg

Thanks for sharing these! I may have most of these ads in different titles, but I don't think I've ever seen them al before!

On 4/12/2024 at 4:32 PM, Silver said:

I limited myself to silver and early bronze age to keep the scope as something achievable, plus, those were the books I liked the most always. 

Those are the same reasons I have little interest in "Superman" and "Batman" titles earlier than 1957 or so. Admittedly though I could be tempted by late 1940's Green Lantern and All-American Comics when Harlequin and Streak the Wonder Dog started making cover appearances. Plus All Star Comics 39-57 and the Jack Kirby's Sandman in Adventure Comics and Newsboy Legion in Star Spamgled Comics. Hey, I was a newsboy with a paper route once upon a time myself! That would though require mega$ which I currently don't have.

I bought new comics up till about five years ago, but have since mostly lost interest in them, although I do pick up the random TP now and then if something interests me. 

Crisis on Infinite Earths served as my stepping off point from DC comics and I actually haven't bought any new comics since the late 1990's. I have been buying the hard cover Archives and other DC collections though and I now have several dozen.

I love putting together full sets or deep runs. I have some titles I have been working on for decades, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I have every issue but continue to upgrade whenever I see a nice copy. 

I'm that way with my Adventures of the Fly and Adventures of the Jaguar runs. They're so tough to find in high grade.

Sugar and Spike, five issues away and a dozen or so I'd like to upgrade, a seriously impossible run to put together but I think I have a really nice run, possibly the best. 

i only wish I could make the same claim about my all too small collection of the Fox and the Crow. I think they're even tougher to find in nice condition than Sugar and Spike comics. Quite simply Sheldon Mayer has been highly regarded for well over fifty years which prompted more hoarding/collecting of the latter title and thus the preservation of Sugar and Spike comics.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Hep, I’d love to see your Fox and Crow books. I agree it is likely harder to complete, especially in grade. On the positive side though, they are likely cheaper when they come up, I’ve had to pay some pretty steep prices for some of my S&S books.

As for Fox and the Crow, I do collect the non square bound funny animal Comic Cavalcades, I have about a dozen. They are super tough in fine or better.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:56 AM, Silver said:

Hep, I’d love to see your Fox and Crow books.

I'll give you a heads up when I decide where to post them. A DC Funny Animals thread might best fit in the Golden Age forum.

(shrug)

On 4/13/2024 at 9:55 AM, Hepcat said:

I'll give you a heads up when I decide where to post them. A DC Funny Animals thread might best fit in the Golden Age forum.

(shrug)

There needs to be an atom-age forum.

immediately going to 7-11 and buying DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #22 with the Flash and a Slurpee!

:banana:

On 4/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, Hepcat said:

Though as a kid I preferred the Julius Schwartz titles, Aquaman and Wonder Woman

I don't recall that Schwartz was ever involved in those titles. (shrug)

He was not of course. I've now modified the order in which I listed my preferences to remove the ambiguity.

:tieddowngif:

Edited by Hepcat