• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,656 posts in this topic

Someone on these boards mentioned about the "beauty of being unorganized" and discovering books you forgot you even had. Here's one such book:

Great to see your books, Steve.

Always like the "inside the Batcave" covers (Det. #231) with the wonderful Batcave colors!

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here, too since the two threads may be mutually exclusive for some. I always liked this period; it's the second post-code and you don't see books from this period that often.

Imaginary stories with Batman as "Batboy" or whatever, are unusual. One good example is World's Finest #172.

Detective #218 is very tough to find.

Wonderful pink on the Detective #208. The pink Detective #265 is probably the most iconic pink cover of all.

The final pre-code issue of Adventure Comics is also pink:

AdventureComics209.jpg

I love the final few issues of the pre-code period; the books are so hard to find;s it's a real challenge finding them is most any grade, but especially VG or higher. Due to the Cold War Comic Scare, the companies cut back on their print runs. What are your thoughts? That Adventure is dynamite. Great Book!

Wonderful pink on the Detective #208. The pink Detective #265 is probably the most iconic pink cover of all.

AdventureComics209.jpg

I love the final few issues of the pre-code period; the books are so hard to find;s it's a real challenge finding them is most any grade, but especially VG or higher. Due to the Cold War Comic Scare, the companies cut back on their print runs. What are your thoughts? That Adventure is dynamite. Great Book!

I also like the Clark Kent Wink Motif on the cover. I was watching some Adventures of Superman episodes on DVD the other day; this was a common motif in many episodes. Your Adventure is prime example of the motif. Thanks for posting!

AdventureComics209.jpg

Well, it is commonly known that comic books were at a low ebb in the early to mid 1950s, resulting in small print runs and, it seems, fewer copies being stored away in collections.

Taking Adventure Comics as an example. #247 was published in 1958. A major key, copies were kept in far greater numbers than, say, #246 and #248. Yet only three years earlier, Adventure #210 was hardly kept at all, resulting in its huge scarcity later on. Yet at the time would not #210 and #247 be seen by collectors to be about equally important?

adv247.jpg

AdventureComics210-1.jpg

Here is the last pre-code issue of Detective Comics:

DetectiveComics216.jpg

I'm sure many readers would have viewed the code stamp as am unwelcome intruder on comic book covers. And some of the stamps got HUGE during 1956, almost adding insult to injury!

Edited by steelcity

AdventureComics209.jpg

I also like the Clark Kent Wink Motif on the cover. I was watching some Adventures of Superman episodes on DVD the other day; this was a common motif in many episodes. Your Adventure is prime example of the motif. Thanks for posting!

Superboy's wink connecting with the reader...

AdventureComics161.jpg

AdventureComics209.jpg

Well, it is commonly known that comic books were at a low ebb in the early to mid 1950s, resulting in small print runs and, it seems, fewer copies being stored away in collections.

Taking Adventure Comics as an example. #247 was published in 1958. A major key, copies were kept in far greater numbers than, say, #246 and #248. Yet only three years earlier, Adventure #210 was hardly kept at all, resulting in its huge scarcity later on. Yet at the time would not #210 and #247 be seen by collectors to be about equally important?

adv247.jpg

AdventureComics210-1.jpg

Here is the last pre-code issue of Detective Comics:

DetectiveComics216.jpg

I'm sure many readers would have viewed the code stamp as am unwelcome intruder on comic book covers. And some of the stamps got HUGE during 1956, almost adding insult to injury!

Stunning!! (worship)

Ken

Posted on the Funny Animals thread in Gold, but really early 10¢ Silver age books.

Peter Panda 24 Jul-57. Great cover with classic DC green background.

PeterPanda24.jpg

Three Mouseketeers 26 Dec-60. Rough but probably scarce. Last issue, all Rube Grossman artwork? Check out the IND bullet instead of the DC/Superman circle.

ThreeMous26.jpg

TV Screen Cartoons 136 Oct-60. Scarce Fox & Crow book toward the end of the Real/TV Screen series.

TVScreen136.jpg

Jack

Posted on the Funny Animals thread in Gold, but really early 10¢ Silver age books.

PeterPanda24.jpg

Jack

Looks like a Shiverbones cover! (thumbs u

PeterPanda24.jpg

Jack

Looks like a Shiverbones cover! (thumbs u

Sure does! I think I asked him about it months ago when I actually won it -- this was an accumulated ebay pile shipped together.

Jack

That's a very good time period for Kubert! (thumbs u

A new B&B joins my ranks. Great stories and art...especially that Kubert Viking Prince.

BB_13.jpg

:applause: Tough to get them in that condition. How many of the pre-hero issues do you have/need?

A new B&B joins my ranks. Great stories and art...especially that Kubert Viking Prince.

BB_13.jpg

:applause: Tough to get them in that condition. How many of the pre-hero issues do you have/need?

Thanks! All I need are issues #1-6, and 12 in nice condition to complete my collection.

BB_13.jpg

Thanks! All I need are issues #1-6, and 12 in nice condition to complete my collection.

Good luck! There was a pretty nice 5-6ish #3 on Ebay a month ago that I didn't go after hard enough...but you just don't see the issues below 10 come up much, let alone in nice condition.

Got these three books today from the same seller. Even though each has some slight wear, they all look like they rolled off the presses in the sense that they are flat, rich in color, and are dripping with gloss.

DC296.jpg

Tomahawk72.jpg

MIS58.jpg