• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these comics is the king of the Copper age?

King of Copper  

612 members have voted

1. 1. King of Copper

153 posts in this topic

The answer is going to be different depending on who you talk to.i personally said in my opinion its asm 300 or nm98.i could care less a bout a turtle book.most of my comic book friends same thing, they would jump to buy a nm98 or asm 300 but not a tmnt book especially at those prices..i look at the turtles as a silly kid thing.but to someone else TMNT is the bomb.more power to ya. Again depends on who you talk to.

Yeah, because like Roy said, people have a hard time being objective.

It doesn't matter that ASM 300 is my favourite of the three. It doesn't matter that I own a 9.8 NM 98. It doesn't matter that I neither own, nor have any real interest in owning any TMNT books. TMNT 1 is still the Copper book because of its importance and influence.

The answer is going to be different depending on who you talk to.i personally said in my opinion its asm 300 or nm98.i could care less a bout a turtle book.most of my comic book friends same thing, they would jump to buy a nm98 or asm 300 but not a tmnt book especially at those prices..i look at the turtles as a silly kid thing.but to someone else TMNT is the bomb.more power to ya. Again depends on who you talk to.

Do you even remotely believe you've purchased the best Spider-man book or the best mutant book if you buy ASM300 or NM98?

We're talking about the "king"... not the "second best thing because I can't actually afford the king for my favorite title".

You are 110% right!

Is NM 98 a grail book?

Is ASM 300?

When " collectors" think of grails TMNT #1 is right up there with the S.A. big dogs.

lol

I can't tell if you're joking, but yes...

I own AF15, XMen1, Hulk181, TMNT1, and a pre-Superman1 comic with Superman.

I also have a stack of ASM300 and I can't stand Liefeld comics... ANY Liefeld comic.

NM98 is nothing to me. It's not even the fun Deadpool. It's just Liefeld Deadpool. The Deathstroke ripoff.

Clearly, I can afford NM98. I choose not to own one.

If there is a fire near my comic storage, I'm grabbing the first 5 comics I've listed in this post.

Then, if there's time, I'll grab a signed Frazetta comic... and my stacks of original art.

It would take several trips before I'm going back in for the stack of ASM300.

I don't have NM98, but any other Liefeld book in my collection can just burn.

I'll take the insurance on those.

:whee:

Do you even remotely believe you've purchased the best Spider-man book or the best mutant book if you buy ASM300 or NM98?

We're talking about the "king"... not the "second best thing because I can't actually afford the king for my favorite title".

You are 110% right!

Is NM 98 a grail book?

Is ASM 300?

When " collectors" think of grails TMNT #1 is right up there with the S.A. big dogs.

lol

I can't tell if you're joking, but yes...

I own AF15, XMen1, Hulk181, TMNT1, and a pre-Superman1 comic with Superman.

I also have a stack of ASM300 and I can't stand Liefeld comics... ANY Liefeld comic.

NM98 is nothing to me. It's not even the fun Deadpool. It's just Liefeld Deadpool. The Deathstroke ripoff.

Clearly, I can afford NM98. I choose not to own one.

If there is a fire near my comic storage, I'm grabbing the first 5 comics I've listed in this post.

Then, if there's time, I'll grab a signed Frazetta comic... and my stacks of original art.

It would take several trips before I'm going back in for the stack of ASM300.

I don't have NM98, but any other Liefeld book in my collection can just burn.

I'll take the insurance on those.

:whee:

No I'm serious, I like my ASM 300 & my NM 98, but like you said they are just pawns. Great books? Sure!

Grail books? Hardly.

Yeah, because like Roy said, people have a hard time being objective.

It doesn't matter that ASM 300 is my favourite of the three. It doesn't matter that I own a 9.8 NM 98. It doesn't matter that I neither own, nor have any real interest in owning any TMNT books. TMNT 1 is still the Copper book because of its importance and influence.

I have no problem being objective . . . they all suck. :P But if I were going to have one? TMNT 1 hands down mutha. :sumo:

I do know for a fact that many "younger collectors" do consider NM 98 and ASM 300 to be "grail books", and they do in fact aspire to own them.

I would imagine those numbers will increase further with the Deadpool movie and Venom/Carnage's inevitable movie appearances in the new set of Spider-man movies.

Just sayin'....

-J.

Remember a Grail is also subjective. I consider ASM 300 a Grail to me . I dont consider TMNT a grail Again "Best Book" "Most Important " "Grail" is subjective to each individual. I totally understand and agree with anyone who says TMNT is #1 as that book means something to them and thats there opinion. To me its an important book , I am not a huige deadpool fan but I understand NM 98 importance . As far as TMNT , . I think its a cooper key due to its popularity , rarity etc but above ASM 300 (TO ME) no way. Again not arguing as I said its all subjective. You ask 10 people you will get 5 different answers.

I do know for a fact that many "younger collectors" do consider NM 98 and ASM 300 to be "grail books", and they do in fact aspire to own them.

Fact. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I would imagine those numbers will increase further with the Deadpool movie and Venom/Carnage's inevitable movie appearances in the new set of Spider-man movies.

Just sayin'....

-J.

NM98 and ASM300 are gateway drugs to the real grails. The younger set will figure that out as they get a little seasoning.

Just sayin'....

-J.

NM98 and ASM300 are gateway drugs to the real grails. The younger set will figure that out as they get a little seasoning.

+1

TMNT is harder to obtain and a true grail. Once these younger collectors have 98 and 300, they will want TMNT and then will realize what a grail is.

People don't vote on value in polls.

I disagree. The average person has a hard time being objective when it's a question of money.

The more expensive a book is, the more 'awesome' it becomes. lol

TMNT 1 is the Copper Age book.

But based on what?

I have multiples of people ask me for an ASM #300 or a NM #98 over a TMNT #1. (shrug)

Did you ignore my answer that quoted you, just to question Lazyboy's?

With over 200 votes, there's a very good chance that a whole bunch of non-dealers were voting.

A lot of non-dealers who see $ when you say TMNT #1.

ST #110, Showcase #4 and BB #28 were boat anchor books until they became really valuable. Now they are 'awesome' books.

Don't get me wrong, I love comics of all kinds and always respected all those books but dollars certainly make them look more attractive in this day and age.

There is no "better book" when it comes to TMNT, though.

The "King" book from each age is a top book for its franchise.

ASM #300 isn't the best Spider-man book... it's about 50th for Spider-man.

It's the best Venom book, but what is Venom? Nowhere near the level of Spidey.

NM #98 is the best Deadpool book... but what is Deadpool?

A mutant/experiment that came along 30 years after X-Men #1.

X-Men #1 is the best mutant book.

Hulk #181 is a better mutant book than NM #98.

NM #98 isn't the "best" for a franchise.

TMNT #1 is the best for the franchise. There's nothing better.

It isn't a cheap(er) substitute for something better from another era.

That's the difference to me.

When you have ASM #300, you don't have the best Spidey book. That's AF #15.

When you have NM #98, you don't have the best mutant book. That's X-Men #1, Hulk #181.

When you have a first printing of TMNT #1, you aren't settling for a runner-up... you win.

I didn't mean to ignore it.

I guess I was just never into TMNT (I have zero emotional attachment to that book - I've never even read a TMNT story) and I also have people rarely ask me about the book compared to the others so my perception is that even if they are not the primary books for their respective franchises, they are still more popular to me than TMNT #1.