• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 7

175 posts in this topic

I imagine you must have been pissed when you got that 7.0 grade back on that Batman 232!!!

I thought it was an 8.0, IIRC.

So did I. Though I just noticed I put my grades in my personal "look at these again" thread rather than my contest thread with Andy and Shin. At least I only lost 4 points that I would have gotten.

doh!

Oh and the bottom right corner is not missing, it's folded back. And it looks like that was done during encapsulation. I had a IH 271 that had the same thing happen to it. I sent it back in and they pressed it out and re-encapsulated it.

My worst round yet. So far I've been ok grading from the iPhone, but I think this round needed a level of detail that I didn't give myself...overgraded both of those. To the laptop for Round 8 :sumo:

Along with my grades came this banter

I think I see why they told you to knock it off. :baiting:

:lol:

They just begged me to come back and explain my grades

And to be clear what grade I was finalizing :cloud9:

I imagine you must have been pissed when you got that 7.0 grade back on that Batman 232!!!

So did I. Though I just noticed I put my grades in my personal "look at these again" thread rather than my contest thread with Andy and Shin. At least I only lost 4 points that I would have gotten.

doh!

Oh and the bottom right corner is not missing, it's folded back. And it looks like that was done during encapsulation. I had a IH 271 that had the same thing happen to it. I sent it back in and they pressed it out and re-encapsulated it.

Yeah the corner on the Bats is still there, just bent in from SCS. It's obvious from the back cover scan as you can see the corner folded in.

But how that TTA is a 2.0 is beyond me. HUGE chunk of front cover missing and a 2.0? :screwy:

My ASM #1 came back a 1.8 and it had a similar size chunk out of the BACK cover - the front cover was pretty solid. And there was no piece out of an interior page like on that TTA 13. :facepalm:

I was at 1.5 and 6.0, respectively.

A 2.0 on the Groot is VERY GRACIOUS on the part of CGC.

Too much going on with the Bats for 7.0, IMHO.

Over graders specials this week. My worst round yet...........

Didn't anyone notice all the colour breaking reader's creases running parallel to the spine? It's a mess.

Did anyone notice that the CGC 6.5 World's Finest looked like it had gone through my dishwasher?

And no, I only looked at the small pictures this round, and saw the light creasing, but I don't really care at this point. I'm just finishing up my scorecard. :D

doh!

Yeah the corner on the Bats is still there, just bent in from SCS. It's obvious from the back cover scan as you can see the corner folded in.

But how that TTA is a 2.0 is beyond me. HUGE chunk of front cover missing and a 2.0? :screwy:

I noticed that as well with the corner on the Bats.

In the newest edition of The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics, under the 2.5 (Good+) section the have a picture (front and back) of a TTA 13 that has similar creasing and edge wear withOUT those two huge missing chunks and a back cover that looks way better. I gave the one for this round a 1.5 and honestly was a little disappointed that I didn't go with a 1.0

I'm not disappointed now, but jeessh.

I was more worried about my grade for the Bats which I ended up nailing. It was deceptively appealing in the small scan, but the large one revealed enough little creases, and not just at the spine, that I wasn't sure how tough CGC would be. I thought it could have been anywhere from a 5.5 to a 7.5 based on other books I've seen, but decided to go a little to the higher side based on my tendency to under grade compared to CGC in the midgrades.

The 2.0 on the TTA floors me. I even went and looked at a bunch of SA Marvels online to see if I could even find a well worn 1.5 with a piece that large out of the cover. When I didn't, I felt really good about my 1.0 guess. A 1.5 I would have considered generous, a 1.8 a gift, 2.0 is ridiculous.

Haha all I know is that doing this contest makes me very convinced I'm better off buying raw books from trustworthy dealers and that the saying "buy the book, not the label" is oh so true.

Got my butt kicked this round but it's still fun.