• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

Not ready to condemn it, but I'm skeptical. The trailer stunk as a Star Trek piece. :(

That's the shame of it. JJ Abrams just rebuilt a franchise, making it exciting again. Having someone else step in that may not have the same vision and direction could disrupt the franchise all over again.

As more of Star Trek fan, that would be a bummer if Beyond ends up like that.

You can't just blame the creatives. The studio has a lot of pull. I read that after GOTG's success, they wanted something lighter and more comedic for the third Star Trek film. Many have pegged that as the reason that the original director left the project.

Not ready to condemn it, but I'm skeptical. The trailer stunk as a Star Trek piece. :(

That's the shame of it. JJ Abrams just rebuilt a franchise, making it exciting again. Having someone else step in that may not have the same vision and direction could disrupt the franchise all over again.

You can't just blame the creatives. The studio has a lot of pull. I read that after GOTG's success, they wanted something lighter and more comedic for the third Star Trek film. Many have pegged that as the reason that the original director left the project.

You are right!

If the studio was wisely guarding its investment, it would ensure the successful course set would be continually followed, unless mass audiences indicated they needed something different from THAT franchise. Not a mad dash to follow the success of another franchise because it found what worked for that set of characters.

You are right!

If the studio was wisely guarding its investment, it would ensure the successful course set would be continually followed, unless mass audiences indicated they needed something different from THAT franchise. Not a mad dash to follow the success of another franchise because it found what worked for that set of characters.

All of this reminds me of my initial thoughts about another movie coming out next summer, one with a super person and bat person in it. Like fantastic_four and his reaction to the Star Trek trailer, I didn't want to condemn Supe V Bats, but I felt the decision about the direction of the film was Warner Bros. reacting to the success of the Avengers, like nearmint's example of Paramount and GOTG and Bosco685's observation. I'd hate to see this happen to the "new" Star Trek franchise.

I know, :signofftopic:

All of this reminds me of my initial thoughts about another movie coming out next summer, one with a super person and bat person in it. Like fantastic_four and his reaction to the Star Trek trailer, I didn't want to condemn Supe V Bats, but I felt the decision about the direction of the film was Warner Bros. reacting to the success of the Avengers, like nearmint's example of Paramount and GOTG and Bosco685's observation. I'd hate to see this happen to the "new" Star Trek franchise.

Did those other franchises make a public announcement they were ignoring prior successful releases?

Star Trek Beyond will ignore most of Into Darkness

When the Fast & Furious, Fast Five, and Fast & Furious 6 director Justin Lin took over directing duties for the third Star Trek reboot movie, it was replacing Roberto Orci who was briefly going to write and direct the movie. Instead, Lin came on to develop a completely new sequel with Simon Pegg (Scotty) and writer Doug Jung. One of the things they decided on early was to basically ignore many of the events of Star Trek Into Darkness altogether.

(shrug)

Did those other franchises make a public announcement they were ignoring prior successful releases?

When the Fast & Furious, Fast Five, and Fast & Furious 6 director Justin Lin took over directing duties for the third Star Trek reboot movie, it was replacing Roberto Orci who was briefly going to write and direct the movie. Instead, Lin came on to develop a completely new sequel with Simon Pegg (Scotty) and writer Doug Jung. One of the things they decided on early was to basically ignore many of the events of Star Trek Into Darkness altogether.

(shrug)

As the upcoming Super film ignoring it's predecessor, I'm not sure. (shrug) I could be wrong, but including Batman in the sequel did not appear to be the writer's or director's original intent.

Thanks for the link to the article, very interesting. I was hoping for more of Dr. Marcus in this one... :eek:

As the upcoming Super film ignoring it's predecessor, I'm not sure. (shrug) I could be wrong, but including Batman in the sequel did not appear to be the writer's or director's original intent.

BvS will definitely keep itself associated with the events of Man of Steel. Of that we are now very clear.

riP3PwO.gif

:whee:

Thanks for the link to the article, very interesting. I was hoping for more of Dr. Marcus in this one... :eek:

It could turn out to be a solid movie even though dismissing Into The Darkness. Being the first trailer, we have a long ways to go until true clarity occurs.

:wishluck:

(shrug)

It sounds even worse. :
Lin made it clear that characters like Khan and Carol Marcus would not be mentioned in the third installment of the franchise, with the crew of the Enterprise now being about halfway through their five-year mission...

:facepalm: WTF? Why?

“…the more we talked about it the more we kept saying, “Well, let’s keep pushing, let’s keep pushing,” and that’s when Simon kinda said, “Well, it should be Star Trek Beyond,” and it was his idea…

That suspiciously sounds like going off the rails. Intentionally. I just hope Pegg's idea of "more Star Trek stuff" isn't silliness and gags. :wishluck:

And it must really suck to land a major role in a major franchise, get good feedback and reviews, only to be dropped. B'bye Doctor. :(:hi:

CAROL-MARCUS.jpg

LIN & PEGG on STAR TREK BEYOND Trailer & Reaction: 'Hang In There, Be Patient'

“Well, it’s a minute and a half, you know… And again, there were other versions that were much more traditional and I can see where maybe the hardcore fans could probably see that as, ‘Oh,’” Lin told SlashFilm. “But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half, and the one thing I wanted to make sure is that it hopefully represents that we are trying to be bold and take risks, whether we are successful or not, I don’t know. That was something I was excited to do and with collaborators like Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung], passion for the franchise will be there regardless.

"So however it’s presented, yeah it’s a minute and a half, and my challenge to everyone making the trailer is about saying 'let’s not go off course,' I’m not afraid to share — share it, I feel like we have the goods in a two-hour run and you really do get to know the characters and hopefully the journey is great. I love it and the cast did an amazing job and the crew… and the inside baseball version of the creation of this Trek was pretty condensed in how you usually make a movie of this size. And I wanted us to be bold, I wanted us to take chances and hopefully in a minute and a half we are able to convey that.”

Pegg's response was much the same, telling fans to "be patient."

:wishluck::wishluck:

"So however it’s presented, yeah it’s a minute and a half, and my challenge to everyone making the trailer is about saying 'let’s not go off course,' I’m not afraid to share — share it, I feel like we have the goods in a two-hour run and you really do get to know the characters and hopefully the journey is great. I love it and the cast did an amazing job and the crew… and the inside baseball version of the creation of this Trek was pretty condensed in how you usually make a movie of this size. And I wanted us to be bold, I wanted us to take chances and hopefully in a minute and a half we are able to convey that.”

Pegg's response was much the same, telling fans to "be patient."

Not one mention of a compelling story--you could copy and paste this into a description of Fast and Furious 8 if you remove the word "Trek" from that paragraph. :eek: Still sounds like he's describing an action-heavy flick and not a compellingly original Star Trek-type exploration science fiction story.

I'm all in. I've very much enjoyed the new iteration of the original cast, which is a bit of a revelation because I think original Trek is terrible and riddled with a fan base that thinks that show is much less goofy than it was.

I liked Next Gen, LOVED LOVED LOVED DS9 (one of my favorite shows ever minus a really dumb finale), thought Voyager was terrible, and Enterprise, minus a horrific intro song choice, is actually better than I initially thought (minus another dumb finale). In fact the ony example of the original crew that I've ever liked was in that amazing episode of DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations".

Justin Lin revitalized a franchise into one of the biggest in the game already and maybe he can make Trek even more relevant. I very much enjoyed J.J.'s initial Trek film, thought it was one of the great sits at a theater that year.

I'm not familiar with Karl Urban outside his appearances in the Trek films, so hearing his real accent takes some getting used too.

It also looks like Chris Pine's hair cut is another throw back to the '60s show.

Never caught/lack of interest in Lord of the Rings?

I'm not familiar with Karl Urban outside his appearances in the Trek films, so hearing his real accent takes some getting used too.

It also looks like Chris Pine's hair cut is another throw back to the '60s show.

Never caught/lack of interest in Lord of the Rings?

After seeing them in the theaters, I got burned out, especially after sitting uncomfortably through the long ending of Return of the King. I respect the films but I'm not interested watching them again anytime soon. :tonofbricks:

shohreh-aghdashloo-star-trek-beyond.jpg

Star Trek Beyond heads into reshoots; Shohreh Aghdashloo joins the cast

According to Deadline, the latest installment of J.J. Abrams STAR TREK franchise will head into reshoots next week, and add a whole new character in the process.

The outlet reports that Shohreh Aghdashloo (The Expanse) has joined the cast of STAR TREK BEYOND as "the High Command of the Federation." As a fan of Aghdashloo since her great performance in HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG alongside Jennifer Connelly and Ben Kingsley, her inclusion in the Justin Lin directed STAR TREK BEYOND can only be a good thing.

Reshoots that add a new character to the film? I wonder if other films call this a relaunch.