• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

At a tiny comic con this weekend I saw a couple guys buying up a few dealer's walls in one shot. I didn't hear what discount they were asking but these guys didn't seem to care what books were on the walls but took the whole batch. Is the market so good people see a huge profit in pretty much any key no matter how small?

I did talk to one of the guys and they were out of North Carolina which is a 7 hour drive both ways! I've never heard of them but maybe Infinity Comics is a big dealer of books down south. How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

Dealers buying other dealers out has always happened.

Nothing really new about it.

Most of the time it is a larger dealer buying up inventory from a small local dealer who may or may not just be doing a comic book show for the first time to get rid of their comics they had in storage for years. Happens all the time.

The 90's perhaps not ,but you can compare it to the all the rest of the collectible markets from the last couple of decades. Ask a lot of people who overpaid for custom bikes or cars how much those a worth after pop culture runup was over and the market dumped.

I don't think the Market is sustainable at the current increases but everyone has there own opinions and only time will tell. The Market will reset itself and then the true values will come out. Could take a few years before that happens.

Doesn't a dealer (and a board member here) do just that at WonderCon or San Diego? He arrives empty handed and proceeds to buy stuff from other dealers to fill his booth.

I wish some of you would please stop comparing the 90's crash to what some of you perceive as an upcoming market crash. It makes no sense.

No one is buying multiples of new books anymore.

I would like to assume myself owning multiples of Hulk 181 is better today than owning multiples of Superman #500.

Apples/Oranges.

Yep. No body's buying multiple modern books anymore. :whistle:

18247343880_5dd668d811_z.jpg

18130960044_333d0b5051_z.jpg

16502093357_e89999cea2_z.jpg

I'm reticent to show all of my dupes.

And I think it's less like comparing apples to oranges and more like fujis to galas or honeycrisps.

They were only offering like, 30% or so of asking prices on the wall lots.

After talking with the promotor, I know one dealer that sold had been having health problems, and just wanted to cash out and be done with it.

Ouch! That's a low low offer. I think many dealers on these boards would have made a better offer assuming the wall books were decent.

I wish some of you would please stop comparing the 90's crash to what some of you perceive as an upcoming market crash. It makes no sense.

I would like to assume myself owning multiples of Hulk 181 is better today than owning multiples of Superman #500.

Apples/Oranges.

And I think it's less like comparing apples to oranges and more like fujis to galas or honeycrisps.

it's not the same as 20+ years ago when A LOT of collectors and junior dealers were buying hundreds of copies of particular issues thinking they would flip them. my local shop ordered 1000 copies of wolverine 50, thousands of copies of X-Men 1 and on and on.

speculating on 5 or 10 copies of Rat Queens is another story entirely. the proof is in the low print-run pudding.

and the next men book is 20+ years old, that was THEN!

WHile the market is certainly active, and sometimes irrational, in some ways it is nice to see a lot of books percolating, even in the $7-$15 range (most of which i wasn't even aware of). while at the same time the vast majority of everything published in the last 30-35 years can be had for $3 or less, so it really isn't like people are getting priced out of any market.

of course, nobody was priced out of any market in 1993 either. there were plenty of goodies to be had cheap while people were laying out $100 for some valiant book.

Apples/Oranges.

it's not the same as 20+ years ago when A LOT of collectors and junior dealers were buying hundreds of copies of particular issues thinking they would flip them. my local shop ordered 1000 copies of wolverine 50, thousands of copies of X-Men 1 and on and on.

speculating on 5 or 10 copies of Rat Queens is another story entirely. the proof is in the low print-run pudding.

and the next men book is 20+ years old, that was THEN!

Thanks for saying my rebuttal for me. (thumbs u

The 90's perhaps not ,but you can compare it to the all the rest of the collectible markets from the last couple of decades. Ask a lot of people who overpaid for custom bikes or cars how much those a worth after pop culture runup was over and the market dumped.

I don't think the Market is sustainable at the current increases but everyone has there own opinions and only time will tell. The Market will reset itself and then the true values will come out. Could take a few years before that happens.

Can you tell me 3 books right now you think will have a major correction to their true values?

Can you tell me 3 books right now you think will have a major correction to their true values?

FF45

WWBN32

Any "low print run" variant

FF45

WWBN32

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Why would FF 45 and WWBN #32 crash when the general public acceptance of these characters are soon to expand?

Maybe a slight correction eventually like WD #1 will undergo, but still way ahead of the pre-explosion hype values.

The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash"

And that right there...is why I consider them the scum of comic buying/selling.

That's horrible. I have never heard of them either, but that statement right there is enough that I hope they never show up here. Assuming they aren't already that is.

Not the first time I've heard said story....here's their website:

http://infinitycomicsllc.com/

I'll get a photo of them when I have the chance and post it. And for the record, they cannot afford a single comic I have.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Regardless who these guys are...who died and made you the comic god. Give it a rest all ready. :screwy:

There was a small "Comic Con" at the Regional Library this Sunday for grades K-12......mostly discussions about books they like, a Pixar animator guest, and, of course, a costume contest. At least half of the attendees were girls, among them was Aishaa, an 11 year old girl that Judy and I watch while her Mother is at work. She loves comics. When girls enter the comic collecting market en masse, which they will, the market could easily double. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Chevy could hardly keep The Vette on market in the early 90s, then woman started driving them. Now a majority of Vettes are sold to women. Jimbo, i think you hit the nail on the head.

I don't think it's uncommon for customers and/or dealers to swipe a vendor's entire inventor, particularly, on the first day or just before the con begins.
That may be the the one thing a 1st-time seller may be unprepared for. I know I was. You're in a new environment, you want to be friendly, it's close to show-time and doing final prep, but visitors keep coming by to talk. By 'talk' I mean to comment on your display, any exceptional pieces they notice, how much are you asking, and what's the lowest you would accept. Then the money comes out.

During a 1st break I walked around to see most of my best offerings sitting at other tables priced for more. It was disorienting, realizing a significant mistake had been made right out of the gate.

I understand if a dealer swings buy and meets your 85-95% of your asking price depending on how much or what is bought. I mean you are there to sell. What sucks is when a dealer grabs a reasonably priced item for the grade and then turns around to sell if for twice the price at his booth.

I don't really care what people do with my books once its sold. They can take a risk of putting a higher price tag on it and maybe make a sale or they could scare away buyers with nose bleed prices. As long as they don't tell me a story about it going to a sick relative or into their never sell collection and then sell it a day later - then I'd be pissed.

If you are talking about the Akron Comic Con this past Sunday and the dealer was in the corner of the room with a 3 board setup, I was talking to the author/artist next to him while this was happening :whistle:

-bc

To answer the OPs original post. There are certain dealer walls I want nothing to do with, and other dealer inventory in bins I wish I could grab as much as I could. So there is a bit of zaniness to buying everyone's wall books if there weren't enough high demand books to flip. I can only guess they will find out in due time how long it will take to get back their investment depending on what they scored.

FF45

WWBN32

+1 on the FF 45 correction