• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Marvel Titles in October

276 posts in this topic

Slott has been incredibly disappointing. He's shown that he a) gets Peter Parker and b) knows the history. Issues where he has stepped back and let things develop have let him shine, but they've been few and far between. His Spider-Man/Human Torch mini was outstanding. He's made references to obscure Spider-Man history he'd only know if he was a life long fan.

However, his entire run has been ruined by hype and over the top events. Every arc has had to top the last. Slott needs to take a step back and focus on Peter. Occasionally, he'd go issues without ever even showing Peter.

I'm ready for someone else to take over. When Cage was helping him, the issues felt a little stronger. I don't see Cage getting credit on the next few issues though.

I think this relaunch has been a mess. Not finishing the major event prior to the relaunch has really put the damper on it. The entire thing feels anti climatic.

It doesn't mean some of the books aren't good, but they feel off when we don't know how we got there. I don't get the point of Renew Your Vows.

Peter felt goofy and fake in the new book. It seemed like a huge jump in characterization.

The entire universe feels a mess.

I agree that not finishing the main event is rather annoying...but I'm still enjoying the reboot. However, I do think Larry speaks in too many broad generalities and I find it distasteful..."dude".

I thought Amazing Spider-Man 1 was one of the worst Spider-Man comics I've read in 10 years... maybe more actually.

Sadly, I agree. All of the essence of Peter Parker is gone, replaced by a Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne archetype with deus ex machina tech gadgets for every situation. :(

Couldn't disagree more.

Peter built his web-shooters as a teenager.

Personally I always thought his "genius' aspect was underplayed.

Love seeing where he's at a an adult.

LOVE seeing groundwork laid for the return of Superior-Spider-Man too...

I thought Marvel de-aged Peter to be a teenage slacker? Now he's an adult who wields tech gadgets? It's hard to understand why Marvel spent considerable good will putting Peter through the ringer years ago and arguing that the character needs to stay young (ala Archie) only to see them age the character again. My guess, they are aligning him for how he will be in the movie-verse.

My guess, they are aligning him for how he will be in the movie-verse.

I would say that's the case with the ENTIRE line of Marvel comics.

Yes.

Read Iron Man.

THAT'S the Doctor Doom we're going to be getting in the movies.

( I know Marvel doesn't have the rights yet, but they will )

Anyway...

I love the relaunch.

You guys hate it.

No gray in your world? I don't love or hate the relaunch - in fact, it's far too early to tell. Spider-Man was a let down (see above), but Iron Man was really good. Way too soon to paint the whole process with a broad brush, though.

I think this relaunch has been a mess. Not finishing the major event prior to the relaunch has really put the damper on it. The entire thing feels anti climatic.

It doesn't mean some of the books aren't good, but they feel off when we don't know how we got there. I don't get the point of Renew Your Vows.

Peter felt goofy and fake in the new book. It seemed like a huge jump in characterization.

The entire universe feels a mess.

I agree that not finishing the main event is rather annoying...but I'm still enjoying the reboot. However, I do think Larry speaks in too many broad generalities and I find it distasteful..."dude".

Hilarious...

I have no idea what you just said.

Here's mine:

Iron Man: A

Spider-Man:

Spider-Gwen: C+

Inhumans: A

Captain America: F

Love the report card, K!

Iron Man: A+

Contest of Champions F

Doctor Strange B

Spider-Man: B

Spider-Man 2099 D

Spider-Gwen: A

Inhumans: B

Captain America: F

Karnak A

Guardians of the Galaxy D

Ant Man A+

Uncanny Avengers A

New Avengers C

There's MUST read books every week IMHO.

I'll check out the A's I haven't read, thanks.

If you liked Superior foes of Spider-Man, Ant Man is your jam

If not, avoid it.

It wasn't a great seller at my shop but it's one of my personal favorites.

Smart, irreverent, fun.

Strongly agree on Ant-Man! (thumbs u

Slott has been incredibly disappointing. He's shown that he a) gets Peter Parker and b) knows the history. Issues where he has stepped back and let things develop have let him shine, but they've been few and far between. His Spider-Man/Human Torch mini was outstanding. He's made references to obscure Spider-Man history he'd only know if he was a life long fan.

However, his entire run has been ruined by hype and over the top events. Every arc has had to top the last. Slott needs to take a step back and focus on Peter. Occasionally, he'd go issues without ever even showing Peter.

I'm ready for someone else to take over. When Cage was helping him, the issues felt a little stronger. I don't see Cage getting credit on the next few issues though.

My reading experience with Spider-Man in recent years is limited, but I think I can see what you mean.

I do have the issues with the funeral of Marla Madison (possibly?) and the "No one dies" storyline, and in these maybe the dramatic aspect was exaggerated without much likeliness. But these were good stories regardless.

Then, when I have read the Lizard/Morbius story arc I was really disgusted, but again it hasn’t been him that wrote that bad Lizard stories where he kills his son: he just had to pick up afterwards. Anyway I have read an interviews where he speaks of certain villains and he really did not know what he is saying. Surprisingly, because as you say he occasionally shows he has true knowledge of the character.

Than there are the "Alpha" issues and more recently the Amazing Spider-Man #4: maybe it was the inconsistent "art" by Humberto Ramos, but these are among the worst Spider-Man stories I have ever read.

The whole introduction of Silk does not make sense, by any means, characterization, timing or chronological order.

The character in itself could be good but the way she was introduced it was a mess of a story. It didn’t make sense on ANY level – not that the whole "Original Sin" idea made sense as a whole for that matter. :sick:

Another incredibly bad idea was "Fear Itself", and it seems this goes for most of these "crossovers" now. Let’s just stop doing them, OK? :P

while I was at a local store yesterday picking up my book, I saw one of the new marvel titles, it was an X-men book. I don't remember the exact title but what I saw is it featured art by Ramos, and it had old man logan wolverine on the cover, so I checked it out.

The issue was okay, sort of a team formation kind of book, but its always entertaining to see how Ramos is going to draw a bulked up character. In the case of colossus, he was quite large, much bigger than I have ever seen him. His wolverine is always neat too, and honestly more in line anatomically with how I picture the character.

Well it looks like it wasn't possible for Marvel to keep wolverine out as he is in this book. Its a different timeline but its still him and he definitely knows who everyone is in this current timeline based on what he says

Extraordinary X-Men is the title you're thinking of.

I liked Ramos run on Wolverine circa-Civil War, so I'm down with this. I have a couple of the variants, but I haven't read it yet. Waiting for the regular cover to come in with my next order from DCBS.

Extraordinary X-Men is the title you're thinking of.

I liked Ramos run on Wolverine circa-Civil War, so I'm down with this. I have a couple of the variants, but I haven't read it yet. Waiting for the regular cover to come in with my next order from DCBS.

I added this to my pull. Also Carnage, New Wolverine, and Illuminati

I read a few more titles, and unlike everyone who sees these set up issue #1's, I will have to wait until after each 1st major arc is over before really breaking them down.

Illuminati, not what I was expecting, but Titania is awesome, and this may be an actual hit if it gets the readers. B+ ( I wanted to A- but just can't)

Ultimates, WTFOMGTHIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME! A++++ (Sleeper hit too, I think it was under ordered, and an Art Adams Galactus 1:50 variant seems to be slipping away for less than $30)

All New Wolverine, A-. It's OK, and the Angel Connection is awesome. Hope they do a good job of continuity between this, and the All-New X-Men so this can kinda be the great side story.

Uncanny Avengers #2. Last page cameo of existing character made my day, and where I hope this goes is AWESOME (PLEASE LET HIM JOIN THE TEAM TOO! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE)

Overall the new launch is under-performing in my shop.

There are NO new or lapsed customers coming in for it. Sales are exclusively to the "choir" the existing 100,000 direct market customers that are jaded as hell by "relaunch"

Marvel's lack of marketing has really stagnated their launch. They sold great numbers to shops. Shops under performed. Shops will cut orders.

This was the best new entry point to Marvel since 1961.

Blown opportunity that could be salvaged with some Disney / Marvel mainstream publicity.

Too bad, I'm digging 80% of these books.

2Rb7lzi.jpg

Overall the new launch is under-performing in my shop.

There are NO new or lapsed customers coming in for it. Sales are exclusively to the "choir" the existing 100,000 direct market customers that are jaded as hell by "relaunch"

Marvel's lack of marketing has really stagnated their launch. They sold great numbers to shops. Shops under performed. Shops will cut orders.

This was the best new entry point to Marvel since 1961.

Blown opportunity that could be salvaged with some Disney / Marvel mainstream publicity.

Too bad, I'm digging 80% of these books.

2Rb7lzi.jpg

You're digging it, the rest of us are not. Heard of "relaunch fatigue"....?

Variant fatigue. New number one fatigue. Sick of cash grabing fatigue. I look at those initial order numbers and wonder just how many of those books are sitting in back stock already.... My guess is over half. Nobody was even multiple copy speculating EXCEPT retailers. Make some room next to the last 2 or 3 piles of marvel back stock.