• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meeting Stan Lee...What should I get signed?

58 posts in this topic

This is mine. I would get one of the Young variants signed by him. It is in B&W for ASM 14 and Color for ASM 9 reprint. I also have a ASM 700 Martin variant, ASM 43 and ASM 97 signed by Lee. This is the one that makes me smile though. I had to pay out the for it on eBay though.

ASM9YoungVa.jpg

Have him sign your skin somewhere, then have a tattoo artist permanentalize it. You can try and get it slabbed, but might be tricky.

I don't see a problem in getting that slabbed.

BRING YOUR OWN NEW SHARPIE.

You can do this, right? Some friends were telling me that he has his own and they don't let you bring your own. I wanted to have a new red Sharpie. hm

probably not BUT if they do let you use your own-- never hurts to be prepared. Plus why not carry one around in case you bump into someone you want to sign something.

Had a photo taken with Stan last month at Heroes. Also got about 30 seconds of chat time with him. The photo is awesome (it's sitting on top of my entertainment center!), but the interaction, as brief as it was, is what's special. :cloud9:

I can buy a book with his sig anytime.

I'd forgo having Stan sign a book that is a key or worth a bunch of cash.

For my tastes, I'd have him sign a really great story. A book that can be had pretty cheap. ASM 33, FF 51, something along those lines.

Ask for a blank check, and then have him sign that. lol

In all seriousness, if it is in your budget, I would get a photo with him (and have him hold your favorite book (thumbs u ) and then have him sign the photo. You will pretty much always have the ability to buy any book you want with his sig, but you will never find a picture of yourself with him (and signed) on eBay. That seems like more of a memory than just sliding him a book to sign.

This is mine. I would get one of the Young variants signed by him. It is in B&W for ASM 14 and Color for ASM 9 reprint. I also have a ASM 700 Martin variant, ASM 43 and ASM 97 signed by Lee. This is the one that makes me smile though. I had to pay out the for it on eBay though.

ASM9YoungVa.jpg

Nice comic. :)

-J.

Tell Stan to sign your arm or shoulder, when he asks why just let him know you are going to get an artist to tattoo over his signature so it is permanent.

That way when you wake up every morning it will be something special like all those thousands of CGC signature series books. (thumbs u

This really isn't a bad idea…I'm not sure if it was meant to be a joke but I actually like this!

Several boardies have expressed the opinion that there are too many books already signed by Stan Lee. I don't believe that is likely true. Just a couple of factoids and observations:

1)The CGC signature series has been around since 2001. If you look at the CGC census - for books likely to have been signed by Stan - the Signature series label is a small fraction of the total slabbed. Typically 5-10% of the total slabbed, drifting to 15% or a bit more on some popular key issues. A few examples - and I'm assuming Stan signed all of these. Which is undoubtedly not true for many of these issues:

ASM 1 - 240 out of 2773

ASM 25 - 65 out of 989

ASM 35 - 24 out o 694

ASM 45 - 88 out of 1008

ASM 50 - 381 out of 2320

DD 7 - 68 out of 926

2) There really isn't anyone else currently signing books that is at Stan's level in terms of importance, status, likely future collectiblity . Think of it in terms of collecting Presidential signatures. Washington is tops.

3) Right now - with Stan signing books fast as he can - his signature usually adds more value than it cost to obtain it.

3) Collecting of signed books appears to me to be pretty much still in it's infancy. There are lots of collectors that don't like signatures on the cover. I think that opinion is slowly changing.

4) There will come a sad day when Stan isn't signing books anymore.