• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,425 posts in this topic

I just sent the poster above a few scans, asking him to put them on the board for everyone to see. They are:

DENNIS THE MENACE AND THE BIBLE KIDS # 7, 8, 9, 10

DENNIS POCKET FULL OF FUN # 1 and 2

The 2 pages of artwork from DENNIS THE MENACE GIANT # 15 (Washington, DC) and #40 that were later changed. You can compare them to see the difference.

DENNIS THE MENACE #1 (1953) the cover, two inside covers of the comic, the first page of the store, and the back cover

You`re welcome.

I didn't know that they changed the In Washington book either. Thanks for sharing that!

The Safety comic and the Pumpkin Festival edition are profiled earlier in this thread. I don't have time at the moment, but use Google's advanced search, and restrict the search to the domain "boards.collectors-society.com", and they will probably be found quickly. Also look for the newest comic, the Goes to Camp edition recently re-published by the camp that Dennis attended.

On another subject, Fantagraphics has been publishing the Complete Dennis the Menace strips recently, and just put out a PDF of the entire month of January 1959 to publicize the latest edition. Here's a link to the page containing the download. And here is one strip from it. I love Henry's face and Alice's face:

Dennis1959-01-30.jpg

I thought about going after that too, but the lack of identification of the artist put me off from making a very aggressive bid. It looks like it definitely could be Al Wiseman (the "good" Dennis artist), but the fact that Heritage wasn`t willing to make an ID or even an attribution made me cautious. Perhaps I was just reading too much into that and they just don`t realize that Dennis fans care.

I don't think it is Wiseman... but I'm not sure. I went after it because regardless of artist, it's damn fine looking and you just don't see any 50's or 60's comic book pages much less a back cover... at least I never do. I know there must be experts on this thread, so hopefully we will get some opinions...

Ok, now this I'm sure is Wiseman. Oh Happy Day!! What more can I say.... well, other than please keep me in mind if you ever want to part with Dennis art by Wiseman for tippity top dollar.... One of the greatest comic artists ever, and one of a handful of favorite comic book series from my youth!

DENNIS_AT_LAST.jpg

I had two favorite comic books which I read voraciously when I was a kid.... Little Lulu/Tubby and Dennis... followed by Little Archie and Richie Rich. When I got to be a tad older (almost 8) I started reading superhero comics mostly from Marvel; but I never stopped reading Dennis or LL all the while. I did have to give up reading comics when I was just 13, which is probably why I seek to reclaim some of that fond nostalgia.... funny, I can remember like it was yesterday reading some of those Dennis stories. I just looked at one today called the Mystery Spot which I hadn't seen since I was probably 8 or 9 (now 44) and I could remember every bit of it. And, let me just tell you my memory is not all that great, but some things made a big impresson on me. Dennis goes to CA... yummmm; Dennis at Xmastime....ummm, ummmm. As good as it gets.

Hey, whadaya know? There are some newly-reprinted Wiseman Dennis stories in The Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics that just came out.

It reprints two stories from Dennis the Menace #24: "We Want a Clubhouse!" and "Double Talk". It's only 13 pages total, but we'll take it; especially from a 50-year old comic!

The rest of the book is full of goodness too, with all kinds of good childrens' comics, mostly from the 40s and 50s. Includes Little Lulu, Donald Duck, Fox and Crow, Three Mouseketeers, Pogo, Scribbly, Little Archie, Sugar & Spike, Captain Marvel, and more! By creators such as Walt Kelly, Sheldon Mayer, Basil Wolverton, Harvey Kurtzman, Carl Barks, Jack Cole, Jules Feiffer, John Stanley, and Dr. Seuss.

See the Crisis on Infinite Comics board for some discussion and the contents and where they are from.