• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,425 posts in this topic

You guys have got to check out the bidding war for a bunch of high-grade early STANDARD Dennis' going on at eBay...

Here is a sample...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dennis-the-Menace-1-Rare-High-Grade-CGC-9-2_W0QQitemZ130278321118QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item130278321118&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

How high will a Qualified Dennis #1 go for???

Most of these issues have married covers, but that is not holding down the price in anyway...

Edited by AtlasFan

Very interesting, but the prices so far are a fraction of what they'd go for if they weren't qualified.

I just hope whoever wins them isn't going to try to do anything funny with them afterwards. Fortunately, that Dennis #1 will be pretty distinctive with that massive miswrap.

Definitely still some love for Dennis!

Hey everyone (anyone?),

I remember reading on this thread a while back that someone had scanned most of the early Wiseman Dennis comics. Does anyone know where I can get scans of a few stories?

There's a book coming out on kid's comics and I need to send the people that are putting it together some samples of Wiseman stories for possible inclusion. Unfortunately, most of my Dennis collection is in storage now so it'll be a while until I can get to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

http://alwiseman.com/

Wow, the Dennis #1 went for $1700+

Not bad for a qualified book. I bet this book was bought by a true Dennis fan who dose not care if the book is restored/qualifed.

I put in a decent bid above $1000 but couldn't keep up with the big boys. With VG books going for $500+ a $1000 would have been a steal in my book. Married covers, married centerfolds, replaced staples, touch of glue or slight color touch are the closest to an unrestored as it gets. On an otherwise impossible book in high grade it's easy to overlook and bid it up.

But yeah, a blue label 9.2 would probably hit $4000 or so, similar to Little Dot 1 or Richie Rich 1 type figures.

Ed

Wow, the Dennis #1 went for $1700+

Not bad for a qualified book. I bet this book was bought by a true Dennis fan who dose not care if the book is restored/qualifed.

I put in a decent bid above $1000 but couldn't keep up with the big boys. With VG books going for $500+ a $1000 would have been a steal in my book. Married covers, married centerfolds, replaced staples, touch of glue or slight color touch are the closest to an unrestored as it gets. On an otherwise impossible book in high grade it's easy to overlook and bid it up.

But yeah, a blue label 9.2 would probably hit $4000 or so, similar to Little Dot 1 or Richie Rich 1 type figures.

Ed

Anyone know who the Big Boys are?

I love Standards..they are some of the best comics of the 50s. I was tempted to throw my hat into the ring, but I resisted!

Bill

Hi, I just joined the thread.

I started collecting the DTM comics as a kid in the late 1970s. In 1994, when I was in college, I purchased a copy of issue # 1, from 1953, from a dealer in NJ for $ 100.

It took me until about 2002 to complete my DTM collection. Through ebay, I found the last few Pocket Full of Fun digests that I needed, and Dennis and the Bible Kids # 6 to 10. The "Bible Kids" were impossible to find ! Don't ask what I paid for # 10. That turned out to be the last DTM comic that I needed.

If anyone needs scans of any issues, just let me know. Hopefully, I'll pass these on to my kids one day, and they will appreciate them.

A bit of trivia-- Did anyone else ever notice that on the Washington, DC comic that they changed the artwork between the 1st and 2nd edition ? The original has the page with Dennis meeting JFK and his daughter, Caroline, but the second version (after JFK died) has Dennis speaking with a Secret Service agent.

Hi, I just joined the thread.

I started collecting the DTM comics as a kid in the late 1970s. In 1994, when I was in college, I purchased a copy of issue # 1, from 1953, from a dealer in NJ for $ 100.

It took me until about 2002 to complete my DTM collection. Through ebay, I found the last few Pocket Full of Fun digests that I needed, and Dennis and the Bible Kids # 6 to 10. The "Bible Kids" were impossible to find ! Don't ask what I paid for # 10. That turned out to be the last DTM comic that I needed.

Welcome to the boards and welcome to this thread! Putting a complete DTM collection together is quite an accomplishment! :applause:

A bit of trivia-- Did anyone else ever notice that on the Washington, DC comic that they changed the artwork between the 1st and 2nd edition ? The original has the page with Dennis meeting JFK and his daughter, Caroline, but the second version (after JFK died) has Dennis speaking with a Secret Service agent.

That is really interesting, and I'm surprised it's never been publicized. I've only seen the version with Dennis talking to the Secret Service agent. It'd be great if you could post the original. :wishluck:

Hi all; I've been watching this thread and a month or so ago inquired about finding any Al Wiseman Dennis art from the 50's. Anyway, I recently purchased this Sunday from 1973 and was wondering if any experts could tell me who was the artist. I realize it is not Wiseman, but was wondering who took up the mantle after? Some of the early Sundays seem to be Ketcham and some Wiseman, and possibly some others. In the 70's, did Ketcham do much of the work? Would love to see a timeline of artists if anyone knows who worked when. Here it is:

DennisMenaceSundayComicArt.jpg

I'm more than happy to post pictures of the variations on the Dennis Washington DC comic, or the hard to find Bible Kids # 7-10, or the cover of any other DTM comic that people want to see.

Unfortunately, while I know how to scan, I can't seem to figure out how to post on this board. Would someone be willing to post my scans if I email them ?

While I haven't read all of the posts yet, I saw something about a Dennis safety comic. I don't have that one ! Can someone post a picture of it ? Anyone have an extra ? Just when I thought my collection was complete...

Finally, about 15 years ago, a fellow Dennis collector told me he had a Dennis comic that was a giveaway at a Monterey, CA, pumpkin festival, that promoted the event. Anyone see one of those ? I have not. Anyone have more info on it ?

Unfortunately, while I know how to scan, I can't seem to figure out how to post on this board. Would someone be willing to post my scans if I email them ?

I`ll send you a PM with my email address.

Alternatively, you could open a photobucket account, and then once you load them there, all you need to do is copy and paste the URL information here.

, I recently purchased this Sunday from 1973 and was wondering if any experts could tell me who was the artist.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but that just has a big time Ketchum vibe to me. Thats a VERY nice piece, brother.

The writing is very probably Ketchum, but I had the impression that among comic strip creators who had hit the big time, he was one of the foremost users of ghost artists.

Thanks. I actually tried posting, but I received an error saying a firewall was blocking my attempts.

Here is my email address. Send me a message with a reference to DENNIS in the title, and I will send you the scans sometime this week when I get a chance, and you can post them here.

email: mistermycroft@msn.com

I just sent the poster above a few scans, asking him to put them on the board for everyone to see. They are:

DENNIS THE MENACE AND THE BIBLE KIDS # 7, 8, 9, 10

DENNIS POCKET FULL OF FUN # 1 and 2

The 2 pages of artwork from DENNIS THE MENACE GIANT # 15 (Washington, DC) and #40 that were later changed. You can compare them to see the difference.

DENNIS THE MENACE #1 (1953) the cover, two inside covers of the comic, the first page of the store, and the back cover