• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,425 posts in this topic

Hi, everybody! I'm a big Dennis fan and amateur collector of his wares. Here's a page from one of my favorite Dennis stories from my collection I can't place the name or issue at the moment since this scan has been on my computer for a few years. I believe it's from a 1964 issue and it's about Dennis' dad going fishing with his boss and Dennis trying to contend with the boss' burly maid, Hilda. I can imagine this running in my mind like an animated cartoon.

142658.jpg.5843b0e1d736355eb1709ab4124c7081.jpg

(I posted this in a separate thread, but then was pointed to this thread by some kind folks, so I'm reprinting here to better connect up with Dennis fans.)

I wrote in my journal how I collect Dennis the Menace based on fond memories of my late mom. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580#Post7287580

Today I received the Dennis #1 I bought from mycomicshop.com before Christmas. They've had a abundance of #1s lately. When I bought my 2.0, they also have a raw copy for sale (advertised as 1.8). At this moment they have a 2.5 for sale for $519. http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=196331

I bought my 2.0 for $459. Not sure if I paid too much, but other than the recent supply from mycomicshop.com, I haven't seen them for sale often.

Anyway, I started collecting the Fawcett series, but then branched out. After collecting for over a decade -- buying a bunch from Mile High and one particular dealer at the SDCC -- I now have almost every Dennis comic, missing only:

Dennis the Menace (Fawcett) 2-9 and 13

Dennis the Menace Giants 6A (Christmas) 29, 35, 67, SE 1 (giant vacation special)

Dennis the Menace and his Friends 38-40, 44 and 46

Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10

Dennis the Menace Comics Digest 1, 3

Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun 1-11, 14, 16-19, 22-28, 30, 36-37, 42, 45, 47-49

Very Best of Dennis the Menace (Marvel) 1

Very Best of Dennis the Menace (CBS) 2

I don't think Dennis is too hard to collect. Not too expensive, not too hard to find. Hard to collect in high grade though. Overall I think my Dennis collection is VG. I think most copies were well read by kids like me. In fact, my original stack of Dennis books were so beat up I gave them away to kids one year for Halloween (now I kind of regret giving them away because they were the copies my mom bought me, but the kids were really happy to get them). Although scanning this thread there are some beautiful higher grade copies out there!

For me, the main challenge with collecting Dennis is the title names. This is especially true of the Giants, as some issues look like separate titles but are in fact part of the Giants series. For example, Triple Feature #1 seems to be a distinct title. But Triple Feature #12 is actually Giants #12. And as far as I can tell, Triple Feature 2-11 do not exist.

DennistheMenace1CGC20459_zps883b389e.jpg

Just picked up these books on eBay. Only low to mid grade, but Dennis is hard to find in hard grade, and the joy of collecting comics like this is to just have copies. 15 books and 4 Pockets Full of Fun for only $15!

DSCN1590_zpsb545c6b7.jpg

$459 for a 2.0? Whoa...what does that make mine worth? I never thought Dennis' were an over-guide title...

2lkea76.jpg

Arkadin: Congrats on the #4...

BTW, what happened to the guy who started this thread? He hasn't posted since 2008.

I'd say the earliest Dennis' are definitely over-guide - they don't show up very often looking as nice as your #1. :applause:

No idea what happened to the original poster - but I'm glad his pics are still there to see. Those Bethlehem Dennis' of his are amazing.

Yes, they were nice. I've been a Dennis collector since junior high (1965). I picked up that #1 in 1978 from Terry Stroud at the old American Comic Book Company in L.A. He called it "mint". I don't think so...not with that upper corner piece missing :o , but it was only $10, so who cares...

The OP said something about #3 being scarce...here's mine:

2gt6ov9.jpg

I have run of #1 thru 108...I'm not interested in the later issues because the art deteriorated in the issues leading up to #100.

Edited by tricolorbrian

$459 for a 2.0? Whoa...what does that make mine worth? I never thought Dennis' were an over-guide title...

BTW, what happened to the guy who started this thread? He hasn't posted since 2008.

Hopefully still in jail for a very unseemly and unpleasant crime. :wishluck:

Hopefully still in jail for a very unseemly and unpleasant crime. :wishluck:

:wishluck: :wishluck:

Here's a few of my higher grade issues:

nb2ddt.jpg

I always had a soft-spot for Dennis' mom. She is the only mom I know who wears heels and dressed to the nines when cleaning the house. My mom typically had a housecoat and curlers!