• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Updated: Newest addition in Bold

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Moondog-Dr. Fate Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Not original owner collections but noteworthy:

Nicolas Cage

Dallas Stephens

Dentist

I would add the following to this list:

Brulato

Levine

Bangzoom

Verzyl

Fixed

That Fixed collection is absolutely stunning! (thumbs u

Not original owner collections but noteworthy:

Nicolas Cage

Dallas Stephens

Dentist

I would add the following to this list:

Brulato

Levine

Bangzoom

Verzyl

Once you go into non-OO collections you've probably taken a step too far. For example, Nic Cage's collection was impressive, but it was hyped mainly due to the Hollywood aura and now has been dispersed. If you want to include non-OO dispersed collections, don't you have to start thinking about guys like Burrell Rowe and the other guys who used to own thousands of Church books? Or the legendary collection in LA that was sold in a controversial fashion possibly to the widow's detriment? Lots of legendary collections in the past.

As for current collections, I think that's tricky too. Levine's claim to fame is being the first to have a complete DC collection, although Christine Farrell has a case for the same claim, yet I understand a lot of his books are low grade (Farrell's book are rumored to be in better condition). And there are apparently other folks very close to also having every DC book. Of course, Olshevsky was the first to get a complete Timely-Marvel collection. And there are many other folks with huge quantities of comic books scattered hither and thither that don't publicize the size of their collections.

On the quality front of non-OO collections, you have to start with DA and JV. But there are a number of other guys with high quality collections. And, if they were to resell the books, folks wouldn't care that they once owned them (just as with Rowe), they would be more fixated on the pedigrees of the books (Church, Allentown, etc.). So there's no real reason to keep track of those collections in the same sense that there is for pedigrees or OO collections that deserved to be pedigrees.

The one name on the list that jumps out is BZ. His collection is worth mentioning. But, that's because he's one of those guys who has in his collection an entire pedigree (maybe more than one). We know he has a 2,000+ book OO group in astounding quality including keys like AA 16, Pep 1 and 22, D27, Superman 1, AS 3 and 8, Adventure 40, Centaurs, MLJs, etc. etc. etc. He knows how the OO was, where the OO lived, etc. In that sense, Bangzoom's collection is sort of like the Central Valley pedigree. It was discovered but held for many years before being sold (of course, BZ's now held this component of his collection for over 40 years -- dwarfing the 16 years the Central Valley pedigree stayed under wraps). We know BZ has other OO collections (and knows the OO's names), but we don't know the quality of those.

Now, if anyone can list more guys like BZ who are sitting on pedigree collections, I'd love to see that list. I think that DA belongs on that list for the NoCal pedigree (anyone know what's in it?).

Edited by sfcityduck

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Marvel Maniac Collection

I'm still waiting for the list to be winnowed down to the SA collections and be ranked.

My own favorites are the Slobodian and Golden State collections - broad collections with long high grade runs going all the way back to the late fifties in the case of the former and to at least '63 for the latter. Both are deserving of pedigree status.

I'm still waiting for the list to be winnowed down to the SA collections and be ranked.

My own favorites are the Slobodian and Golden State collections - broad collections with long high grade runs going all the way back to the late fifties in the case of the former and to at least '63 for the latter. Both are deserving of pedigree status.

....according to the description, Marvel Maniac is not high grade. One collection that Bob didn't mention above is Edenwald. I think it also fits that criteria. I've often wondered if the Edenwalds were Conrad's personal collection and that he was "the boy" referred to in the third person on the COA.... but as I understand, he's in poor health and I haven't seen him in years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My experience with the Edenwald collection is limited, but I found the Marvels to be a bit less consistently high grade and the runs less complete than some other top collections. As for the Golden State collection, Barton owned a number of the SA Marvels and has written of their superior quality.

Here is Marnin Rosenberg's sales list from a CBG ad from the mid-nineties on the Marvel portion of the Slobodian collection he purchased. The early SA DCs were also spectacular - for instance, the run of early superhero Mystery In Space included what became some of the highest CGC-graded copies.

469299-Slobodian.jpg

Are you just making these up now?

You're a funny guy!

Check out Metropolis Comics...

And for your information, this is a project that I'm doing on my time, not yours. Apologies if this thread is not revolving around your world.

My experience with the Edenwald collection is limited, but I found the Marvels to be a bit less consistently high grade and the runs less complete than some other top collections. As for the Golden State collection, Barton owned a number of the SA Marvels and has written of their superior quality.

Here is Marnin Rosenberg's sales list from a CBG ad from the mid-nineties on the Marvel portion of the Slobodian collection he purchased. The early SA DCs were also spectacular - for instance, the run of early superhero Mystery In Space included what became some of the highest CGC-graded copies.

469299-Slobodian.jpg

..... these were surprisingly expensive at the time.... but I was always amazed at how quickly they would sell. I'd often call Marnin about books the same day I got my CBG and it was usually "....nope, that one sold already, nope, that one sold already, nope..... " I miss talking to him.... he'd chat for hours about whatever ....... that's the kind of dealer I like. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

469299-Slobodian.jpg

I remember seeing this add due to the price of the FF 1 which back then. Your posting this add had me thinking how valuable CBG adds can be to get some historical insight. Thanks for posting!

You're a funny guy!

And for your information, this is a project that I'm doing on my time, not yours. Apologies if this thread is not revolving around your world.

It sounds as though you are referring to the Mighty Marvel Maniac Collection which Metro is hyping in their latest email newsletter. Sounds as though this collection will be available in time for its unveiling at the Wizard at the Wizard World Chicago Comic Con next week.

Now, if this was truly a pedigree worthy collection, do you really believe that Metro would be dumb enough to sell them off as raw books with only a select few of them to be slabbed by the new company? :gossip:

Maybe Tim is right in his indirect assessment of this collection and its place on the so-called pedigree totem pole. hm

You're a funny guy!

It sounds as though you are referring to the Mighty Marvel Maniac Collection which Metro is hyping in their latest email newsletter. Sounds as though this collection will be available in time for its unveiling at the Wizard at the Wizard World Chicago Comic Con next week.

Now, if this was truly a pedigree worthy collection, do you really believe that Metro would be dumb enough to sell them off as raw books with only a select few of them to be slabbed by the new company? :gossip:

Maybe Tim is right in his indirect assessment of this collection and its place on the so-called pedigree totem pole. hm

Tim can draw that assessment - he's within his right. I'm not the final say as to what's the permanent list. Would it not be better to simply suggest that the collection on the list that's at issue be removed? As I've been doing? Want it taken off the list and I will do so. There should be a vetting process and I assure you my expertise in defining these collections is extremely limited. As for questions about Metropolis and its modus operandi for selling books- Vinny Zurzolo is on these boards and he's within his right to defend his company's reputation when questions arise. I will only say that my dealings with Metropolis lead me to conclude that they do the right thing and Vinny's a stand up guy.

Respectfully,

John

I've also owned a run of Golden State Sgt Fury's, and they consistently graded out as 9.6s and 9.8s, and were very fresh.

Slobodian, Golden State, Toth, Edenwald and Janowicz would definitely be in my list.

469299-Slobodian.jpg

..... these were surprisingly expensive at the time.... but I was always amazed at how quickly they would sell. I'd often call Marnin about books the same day I got my CBG and it was usually "....nope, that one sold already, nope, that one sold already, nope..... " I miss talking to him.... he'd chat for hours about whatever ....... that's the kind of dealer I like. GOD BLESS...

I echo your comments Jimbo. Marnin is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

As for the Golden State collection, Barton owned a number of the SA Marvels and has written of their superior quality.

I've also owned a run of Golden State Sgt Fury's, and they consistently graded out as 9.6s and 9.8s, and were very fresh.

Slobodian, Golden State, Toth, Edenwald and Janowicz would definitely be in my list.

Hey Tim;

Remember you sold me a copy of Sgt. Fury #64 or some issue around there a few years ago. It's the one with the nice red cover and I believe it might have been the Golden State copy.

Would you be able to confirm this for me and if the book was raw or slabbed? Just want to make a mental note for myself. A beautiful copy, but I just can't seem to remember the details and I have no idea where it would be in the house. doh!

As for the Golden State collection, Barton owned a number of the SA Marvels and has written of their superior quality.

Hey Tim;

Remember you sold me a copy of Sgt. Fury #64 or some issue around there a few years ago. It's the one with the nice red cover and I believe it might have been the Golden State copy.

Would you be able to confirm this for me and if the book was raw or slabbed? Just want to make a mental note for myself. A beautiful copy, but I just can't seem to remember the details and I have no idea where it would be in the house. doh!

Hi Dean, yes, it was the GS copy. I bought it raw and slabbed it as a CGC 9.6 and then sold it to you.

Hey Tim;

Hi Dean, yes, it was the GS copy. I bought it raw and slabbed it as a CGC 9.6 and then sold it to you.

Flipper. ;)

Hey Tim;

Flipper. ;)

lol

All part of the TTH2 Marvel Big Blowout Sale