• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Park Avenue Collection?

High falutin name, but I think everyone really knows it as the "Marty Mann Collection" based on your thread in the GA Forum. After all, its your stories and recollections which make it special.

Updated: Newest addition in Bold

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Moondog-Dr. Fate Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

THANK YOU!

mm

Park Avenue Collection?

High falutin name, but I think everyone really knows it as the "Marty Mann Collection" based on your thread in the GA Forum. After all, its your stories and recollections which make it special.

THANK YOU!

mm

Park Avenue Collection?

THANK YOU!

mm

Belongs on the list. Park Avenue, Manhattan?

Park Avenue Collection?

THANK YOU!

mm

Marty is the Mann!

Park Avenue Collection?

THANK YOU!

mm

Belongs on the list. Park Avenue, Manhattan?

Park Avenue in Newark, NJ...it's where most of my books were bought.

mm

Thanks for all the PMs guys! There are fantastic boardies on here who have great insight into this hobby. Please keep them coming.

BTW- anyone know anything about the Kubert Collection?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KUBERT-COLLECTION-CGC-8-5-WEIRD-WAR-TALES-1-DC-1971-BLACK-COVER-FREE-SHIPPING-/111730918529?nav=SEARCH

Best,

John

The books came from the personal collection of Joe Kubert. Mostly books he worked on during SA/BA.

Thanks adamstrange! Don't know why I just didn't think to ask you this question directly...

Any idea as to the size of Kubert's collection?

A couple of my late 12¢ and a number of early 15¢ OAAWs are from the Joe Kubert collection. There was a comic book store owner out of a state in the South (the town "Jimenez" stands out in my memory. . .and he pronounced it GYM-in-ezz) who was fielding the collection for Kubert. I don't recall the whole story, but Kubert wound up selling a bunch of his comics en masse to this fellow. I bought as much as I could afford, and bought them for around guide which was cheap back then. Some really nice copies. There were multiple copies of many issues in the run. At one time, I had 3 or 4 really nice copies of OAAW 242. The one remaining copy is a Kubert copy. They all came with a certificate. I think the fellow wound up getting into some financial troubles because he purchased the collection and didn't recoup his costs.

The Hollywood Hills collection only covered comics published between 1965 and '68, but it was filled with gorgeous unread examples, most of which had a touch of distributor overspray on the top edge:

X-Men17-1.jpg

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

I think the fellow wound up getting into some financial troubles because he purchased the collection and didn't recoup his costs.

Sounds as though the comic store owner must have overpaid Kubert by a lot for the books if he was unable to recoup his costs to the point that he ended up in financial troubles. doh!:tonofbricks:

Either that or the market must have taken a dive on him after he had purchased the collection from Kubert.

The Hollywood Hills collection only covered comics published between 1965 and '68, but it was filled with gorgeous unread examples, most of which had a touch of distributor overspray on the top edge:

X-Men17-1.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember seeing books from this collection showing up for sale on Pedigree Comics about 10 years ago.

Thanks for all the PMs guys! There are fantastic boardies on here who have great insight into this hobby. Please keep them coming.

BTW- anyone know anything about the Kubert Collection?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KUBERT-COLLECTION-CGC-8-5-WEIRD-WAR-TALES-1-DC-1971-BLACK-COVER-FREE-SHIPPING-/111730918529?nav=SEARCH

Best,

John

The books came from the personal collection of Joe Kubert. Mostly books he worked on during SA/BA.

Thanks adamstrange! Don't know why I just didn't think to ask you this question directly...

Any idea as to the size of Kubert's collection?

A couple of my late 12¢ and a number of early 15¢ OAAWs are from the Joe Kubert collection. There was a comic book store owner out of a state in the South (the town "Jimenez" stands out in my memory. . .and he pronounced it GYM-in-ezz) who was fielding the collection for Kubert. I don't recall the whole story, but Kubert wound up selling a bunch of his comics en masse to this fellow. I bought as much as I could afford, and bought them for around guide which was cheap back then. Some really nice copies. There were multiple copies of many issues in the run. At one time, I had 3 or 4 really nice copies of OAAW 242. The one remaining copy is a Kubert copy. They all came with a certificate. I think the fellow wound up getting into some financial troubles because he purchased the collection and didn't recoup his costs.

Sounds like it was a pretty big collection. Thanks for sharing this (thumbs u

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

Non-ped collections named & marketed by dealers who acquired them... if you keep digging I think you'll find a lot more.

Here's a couple I have come across in the past few years:

"Wytheville" marketed by Kermit's Pad about 3 yrs ago

Example:

bla112.140-01ar_zps0tmmzvnc.jpg

"Lara Fuller" which came out of southern California in 2013. There was a nice Showcase 4 IIRC. I also have a Superboy 68 and Strange Adventures 205 from that collection

aqu001.035-01a_zpsujms7l9r.jpg

cert_laurafuller_zpsblw9enex.jpg

Tongie Farm cert for those interested

cert_tongiefarm_zpsytyokhep.jpg

This one I bought as a "Brooklyn file copy" 15 years ago. I don't know anything about it but I'd like to know more

rangers59_zpsxkc5y3tw.jpg

Is it really necessary for a certificate to say that "She stopped buying new comics upon her death"? lol

You never know. Some collectors are pretty fanatical. :P

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

It would be interesting to know how many of these collections are still owned by the

original owners.

mm

It would be interesting to know how many of these collections are still owned by the

original owners.

mm

Probably none, at least owned in total. These collections are known to the collecting community because all or parts of them have come to market.

original owners.

mm

Probably none, at least owned in total. These collections are known to the collecting community because all or parts of them have come to market.

The Southern California Comic/Lara Fuller collection is definitely no longer owned by the OO.