• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2023 at 8:45 PM, anukasan1 said:

I find some of the stories of these non-pedigreed collections fascinating. E.g., the "Atlantic City" collection, which got a whole in-depth half-hour TV episode devoted to it. 

But the problem is...it can be increasingly hard to find those stories, as time goes on. At least CGC & other sites give overviews of the current pedigrees; but for some of the non-pedigree collections, Google searches only point to threads like this, which don't actually tell (or at least link to) their background stories in detail.

Is there a site or a thread which does compile more of those stories?

The lack of information about the great non-pedigree collections is one reason why I started this thread. My hope is that those with some knowledge about a collection could share it here with boardies. I’m hoping we get as much information about these collections before memory about them fades and disappears. I do want to give kudos to CGC for identifying some of them. 

I have probably mentioned this somewhere on the boards before, but some 30 years ago I was asked to assess a collection in a neighboring town (South Mississippi).  I arrived at the house and there were roughly 10,000 books the man had in his living room for me to take a look at.  There were stacks and stacks of the books.  Some had been in various random boxes for years at that point.  The man had collected since he was young.  Books seemed to start in the mid-1950s and ran through the mid-1980s.  

Immediately I was drawn to the X-Men stack.  It started at about issue 150 or so and went sequentially down all the way to #1.  The books were absolutely gorgeous, as if they had never been read.  Then I found the FFs, again starting somewhere in the 170s and it ran all the way down to #1.  The same thing with ASM, Avengers, DD, Journey into Mystery (although not down to 1).  The DCs were a bit more spotty, but they were there.  The Marvels though were absolutely stunning.  Full gloss on all the covers, almost none of the Marvel chipping.  The pages were still very fresh to the touch.

Essentially, the guy had read the books once, then stacked them by title with the lowest issue on the bottom and stacked them up from there.  Far too soon I was out of time and had to leave, but before I left, he took me to another room in the house where there were even more books, probably at least 5,000 more.

I have no idea what he did with the books, but he was the original owner and today I would have no doubt that it would be a pedigree collection.  I have little doubt it would rival anything I have heard of or seen to date.  It was the single greatest collection I have ever seen.

PDG

A few years ago Heritage had a collection of high grade books I think from the 50’s that had a bunch of first issues. Can’t recall it’s name or specific issues but at that time they were a bunch of top census copies.Although it probably was built of mainly GA books from what I recall.

Edited by Silver Surfer

On 7/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, Silver Surfer said:

A few years ago Heritage had a collection of high grade books I think from the 50’s that had a bunch of first issues. Can’t recall it’s name or specific issues but at that time they were a bunch of top census copies.Although it probably was built of mainly GA books from what I recall.

That might be the Toronto Collection. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu