• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

I'm still waiting for the list to be winnowed down to the SA collections and be ranked.

My own favorites are the Slobodian and Golden State collections - broad collections with long high grade runs going all the way back to the late fifties in the case of the former and to at least '63 for the latter. Both are deserving of pedigree status.

I got a run of Batman 426-429 in CGC 9.8 from Dave at KPR, and someone wrote on the top label (I think it's the 427) that it was from the Golden State collection...but I can't imagine there's actually a way to substantiate that claim. Nice book, regardless!

Copper in the Silver Age forum. :baiting:

Seriously, the two dealers who had a lot of the Golden State late bronze and copper age comics were Showcase New England and Worldwide Comics. Either would be able to denote a purchase such as yours as having come from the Golden State collection.

Are either the Don Rosa or Peter Kuper collections designated to be peds?

Peter Kuper has not been designated a pedigree collection. Don Rosa is a collection recognized by CGC but not a pedigree. As we already know, CGC's noting "collection" on the slab for Don Rosa on the right side in the area where pedigree status is designated differs from other collections like Mannarino's- it's noted in the center of the slab. This makes collection "status" confusing. Is CGC giving special status to a collection if it's noted in the spot that's reserved for pedigrees?

If it's in the pedigree spot I would assume it's a pedigree unless someone from CGC said otherwise. They may consider the original owner portion to be a pedigree and the second hand portion not. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If it's in the pedigree spot I would assume it's a pedigree unless someone from CGC said otherwise. They may consider the original owner portion to be a pedigree and the second hand portion not. GOD BLESS...

Has CGC ever given an answer to this jimbo?

It's on the list of pedigrees on their website.

Copper in the Silver Age forum. :baiting:

Seriously, the two dealers who had a lot of the Golden State late bronze and copper age comics were Showcase New England and Worldwide Comics. Either would be able to denote a purchase such as yours as having come from the Golden State collection.

I checked my Bats 427 last night. My case has a Worldwide Comics sticker on the front, and the CGC Certification number matches the number in the GPA sales data...maybe it's legit! :thumbsup:

Also, sorry for copper talk! :lol:

It's on the list of pedigrees on their website.

Thx, I know. My question is whether CGC gave a reason as to why it defined Don Rosa as a collection and not a pedigree. jimbo's answer makes sense- just wondering if CGC states it somewhere.

Don Rosa Collection is simply the name of the pedigree..... that's where the confusion lies. The key to the determination is the location on the label.... although some older slabs will have pedigree notations on them, in the correct location, that are no longer accepted/recognized by CGC..... such as Diamond Run and Circle 8. GOD BLESS...

And if I may add, the word "Copy" has been used in lieu of pedigree- Crowley Copy. So per CGC, the location rather than the term is controlling since the words "pedigree, collection,"and "copy" are used synonymously.

I've also owned a run of Golden State Sgt Fury's, and they consistently graded out as 9.6s and 9.8s, and were very fresh.

Slobodian, Golden State, Toth, Edenwald and Janowicz would definitely be in my list.

Hey Tim;

Remember you sold me a copy of Sgt. Fury #64 or some issue around there a few years ago. It's the one with the nice red cover and I believe it might have been the Golden State copy.

Would you be able to confirm this for me and if the book was raw or slabbed? Just want to make a mental note for myself. A beautiful copy, but I just can't seem to remember the details and I have no idea where it would be in the house. doh!

Hi Dean, yes, it was the GS copy. I bought it raw and slabbed it as a CGC 9.6 and then sold it to you.

Hey Tim;

That's just fantastic to know that you are keeping track of all your books, even after you long sell them off. (thumbs u

Maybe I should hire you to keep track of my books for me since I usually lose track of them after I receive them in the mail. Maybe I should come up with a unique system of storage such as filing them in order of title and issue number, as opposed to just tossing them anywhere in the house in some loose FIFO order of when they were purchased. :idea:

Do you think a unique idea like that would work since it's certainly thinking outside the box. lol

Thanks for all the PMs guys! There are fantastic boardies on here who have great insight into this hobby. Please keep them coming.

BTW- anyone know anything about the Kubert Collection?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KUBERT-COLLECTION-CGC-8-5-WEIRD-WAR-TALES-1-DC-1971-BLACK-COVER-FREE-SHIPPING-/111730918529?nav=SEARCH

Best,

John

And if I may add, the word "Copy" has been used in lieu of pedigree- Crowley Copy. So per CGC, the location rather than the term is controlling since the words "pedigree, collection,"and "copy" are used synonymously.

Not quite synonymously, as "collection" means more (or less, based on your perspective).

That's just fantastic to know that you are keeping track of all your books, even after you long sell them off. (thumbs u

It's called a spreadsheet. :baiting:

You young whippersnapper, you! :sumo:

Never heard of such a thing when I was buying used comics for a nickel a piece about 50 years ago.

Still no such thing when I was buying new comics from the local comic shops about 40 years ago.

By the time I got into more serious collecting for a few years there about 25 years ago, it was a lost cause by then as my collection was pretty well filed in accordance to the random walk method.

The nice thing is that every now and then, while looking for something else, you stumble across a nice pristine copy of something like an Iron Man 55 which you had completely forgotten about. Especially when it is sitting there all by its lonesome in the middle of some 90's drek. :whee:

Thanks for all the PMs guys! There are fantastic boardies on here who have great insight into this hobby. Please keep them coming.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KUBERT-COLLECTION-CGC-8-5-WEIRD-WAR-TALES-1-DC-1971-BLACK-COVER-FREE-SHIPPING-/111730918529?nav=SEARCH

Best,

John

The books came from the personal collection of Joe Kubert. Mostly books he worked on during SA/BA.

Best,

John

The books came from the personal collection of Joe Kubert. Mostly books he worked on during SA/BA.

Thanks adamstrange! Don't know why I just didn't think to ask you this question directly...

Any idea as to the size of Kubert's collection?

Updated: Newest addition in Bold

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Moondog-Dr. Fate Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Marvel Maniac Collection

Not sure if my PARK AVENUE COLLECTION would be considered for this list.

mm

Updated: Newest addition in Bold

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino