• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Updated: Newest addition in Bold

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Moondog-Dr. Fate Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

Southern California Collection

The Empire Comics collection referred to earlier was amassed by the the late James Furferri who started Empire Comics in Rochester, NY in 1972. This was my favorite place on earth from about 1975 to 1985. Not sure it qualifies as all oo as I know he would buy and hold any GA that was better than the copy he already owned. Among many others I bought a nice Richie Rich 1 from him 1976 for $20 as I recall. Jim amassed an incredible collection off the newstand of silver and bronze that still hasn't been sold. RIP Jim and thanks for making me a life long collector.

The Empire Comics collection referred to earlier was amassed by the the late James Furferri who started Empire Comics in Rochester, NY in 1972. This was my favorite place on earth from about 1975 to 1985. Not sure it qualifies as all oo as I know he would buy and hold any GA that was better than the copy he already owned. Among many others I bought a nice Richie Rich 1 from him 1976 for $20 as I recall. Jim amassed an incredible collection off the newstand of silver and bronze that still hasn't been sold. RIP Jim and thanks for making me a life long collector.

.... I really enjoyed the write up his collection received from Heritage.... I bet he was a neat guy. My roommate at the Kubert School was a fella named Dennis and I wonder if it may have been his LCS as well.... he always spoke highly of the Rochester comic scene. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sounds like an amazing collection. I will add to the list. Thanks for sharing- it's important for the hobby to have this information for collectors interested in having some idea about the great collections out there that are not official pedigrees. There's much to be learned and these collections have stories to tell. Let's see to it that collectors like Jim be remembered for what they accomplished.

Best,

John

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound City

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

Empire Collection

On 8/25/2015 at 8:50 PM, bronze johnny said:

New Hampshire

Cookeville

Cape Cod

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth

Janowicz

Mound City

Edenwald

Mannarino

Southern States

Toronto

RJ Long/ Portsmouth

Sid's Luncheonette

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Mile High II

The Oregon Collection

Manitoba

Charleston Collection

Brad Squared

Toronto

Toledo

Sixth Street

Marvel Art Review

Westport

Newsboy

Erwine

Eldon

Seattle Drugstore

Pinnacle Hill

New Brunswick

Atlantic City

Valpairiso

Williamsport

Tremont

Monterrey

Detroit Trolley

Tongie Farm

Jerry Robinson

Chicorel

Bogota

Three Rivers

Hurricane Sandy

Boland Brothers

Fire Lake

New York State

Golden Locker Collection

White Chapel

Harlan Ellison

Park Avenue Collection

Hollywood Hills

Joe Kubert Collection

Empire Collection

Thought this thread could use a bump.  Any new non-pedigree collections to add?  The one from the Indianapolis area estate sale a couple weeks ago would surely be a good candidate.

32 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Thought this thread could use a bump.  Any new non-pedigree collections to add?  The one from the Indianapolis area estate sale a couple weeks ago would surely be a good candidate.

Definitely the Berk Collection.

17 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Definitely the Berk Collection.

Spectacular, singular, but not all original owner.  To me, it looks like the original owner Silver part is hit or miss.

Edited by namisgr
spell checked

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Sopectacular, singular, but not all original owner.  To me, it looks like the original owner Silver part is hit or miss.

I was hesitant to put Berk down but was thinking that he had more original books in his collection than the smallest pedigree collections like Allentown or Billy Wright. Agreed as to his SA books.

On 8/25/2015 at 8:35 PM, ThothAmon said:

did you keep your Richie Rich  #1 all these years?

Here is the dead link to a great collection out of LA that I bought a bunch of books from in the early to mid 00s:

http://www.reocities.com/legalprocess3/books.htm

The owner, Jerry Berger, was friends with Paul Levitz and as mentioned on the site, Paul used to grab books for him while he was in college. The 1965-1976 books were in great shape, with most of the books I submitted to CGC grading 9.4 or 9.6 unpressed. There were multiple copies of some of the books (e.g. 9.4 and 9.6 for the two ASM 129s), and they all had minor storage/handling dings that would be pressed out now for 9.8s. The pre-1965 books were hit and miss (as well as the GA) grade wise as they were more well read, but there were a lot of 9.0+ books as well. Jerry did have an AF 15 and ASM 1-50 run that sold to someone else before I stumbled upon the site, as well as a bunch of OA that sold earlier.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, ThothAmon said:

Of these collections, any idea which ones have the provenance on the CGC label? 

I'll ask a naive question: what is considered the best SA collection, pedigree or non-pedigree, based on breadth, condition, number of keys, etc.?  :popcorn:

In my limited estimation, the Church pedigree still rules the GA (and likely will always, but who knows?). I would dare venture it's not even close, but again I could be mistaken. Is there a silver-age analog to the Church collection's dominance?