• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

I'm in the small minority that really likes the cover art on #10. For me, the extreme simplicity is cool, and it has an iconic superhero pose that reminds me of JIM #89 (another very simple cover). I also really like #s 15,23,29,33, and 28 (my favorite).

Least favorites are probably #s 4, 38, and Annual #2. I just can't hate on any cover that features Doc Ock or Gobby.

#10 is a combo Kirby/Ditko cover. The Spidey figure is Kirby, the Enforcers are Ditko. I forget the story behind it, but Stan didn’t like Ditko’s version IIRC.

Great info, no wonder I like the cover as having a classic Spidey pose.

#10 is a combo Kirby/Ditko cover. The Spidey figure is Kirby, the Enforcers are Ditko. I forget the story behind it, but Stan didn’t like Ditko’s version IIRC.

Great info, no wonder I like the cover as having a classic Spidey pose.

This was the cover that was supposed to go but it was pulled at the last minute.

asm10_v1.jpg

I'm in the small minority that really likes the cover art on #10. For me, the extreme simplicity is cool, and it has an iconic superhero pose that reminds me of JIM #89 (another very simple cover). I also really like #s 15,23,29,33, and 28 (my favorite).

Least favorites are probably #s 4, 38, and Annual #2. I just can't hate on any cover that features Doc Ock or Gobby.

Agreed! His Doc and Gobby covers were all so good.

And I love 28 too. So good.

9 and 13 are other favorites.

I'm in the small minority that really likes the cover art on #10. For me, the extreme simplicity is cool,

DC much? :baiting:

Seriously, though, I found simplicity when I started collecting SA DC around 1988. It is a huge attraction to me now.

Agreed! His Doc and Gobby covers were all so good.

And I love 28 too. So good.

9 and 13 are other favorites.

I also felt like- outside of 8- his covers with the Human Torch were always pretty solid.

38 is the worst, with 30 a close second simply because Spidey is so darn tiny on it.

Ditko didn't submit a cover for 38, so they created one using stats of interior work.

I would vote worst for the unused cover to 35, then 30, 31 and Kirby's redo of 10 (which looked to me like I could've done a better ditkoesque spidey figure on my own)

I like some that people here put hate on -- including 1, 8, 14, 25 and 37. But much of the like may come from the nostalgia that came with the first time reading/obtaining.