• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

You've got to be judicious & circumspect when awarding top management long term employment contracts.

Tupenny should author a business book. It'd be literary, with beautiful art.

I picture it to be similar to William Blakes songs of innocence and experience

In the short term the newer shows would fold and even some of the older ones. Some would find new companies to sponsor, but would likely need to change the name due to trademarks.

Impact to the market, I am not sure there would be a huge negative impact given how prevalent online transactions have become. The higher end market (books most likely bought or sold in person) might slow until shows pick back up.

Either way, Wizard folding is going to be a polarizing subject round these parts...

Let's say Wizard did tank, went as far as having to restructure in bankruptcy, how do you think that would affect the collector's market?

Collectors of what? T-shirts? Swords? Posters?

Twenty years ago, non-disclosure was pretty much the norm.

With shady, careless or genuinely unaware sellers, but I recall plenty of dealers disclosing restoration when I bought through catalogs or at cons back in the early 90s. True, they may not have all been as thorough or skilled at detecting resto as presumably CGC is, and the discounting perhaps not as severe for minor stuff, but it still reflected poorly on a dealer if they didn't disclose.

Unfortunately, to this very day, even reputable dealers can get careless when grading books, particularly if they are already in the lower grades. I've returned stuff with pretty obvious restoration that somehow wasn't caught, to sellers who appear to generally list restoration.

You've got to be judicious & circumspect when awarding top management long term employment contracts.

Tupenny should author a business book. It'd be literary, with beautiful art.

I picture it to be similar to William Blakes songs of innocence and experience

Everyone should visit the 3rd floor of Tate Britain. :cloud9:

Let's say Wizard did tank, went as far as having to restructure in bankruptcy, how do you think that would affect the collector's market?

It wouldn't. There are many shows on any given weekend all over the country.

There are actually 'too many' shows if that can be said IMO. They're stretching the market too thin.

WIZARD WORLD Scaling Back Conventions After $4.25m Loss In 2015

The comic convention franchise Wizard World is scaling back the number of conventions after filing a $4.25 million loss in 2015, according to ICv2. The company, which takes its name from the defunct magazine Wizard, held 25 events in 2015 for a combined revenue of $22.9m, which was less than 2014's convention revenue of $23.1m despite only hosting 17 shows that year. Looking closer, Wizard World's 2015 conventions earned on average $916,000 per show, as opposed to $1.36m in the year prior.

Additionally, Wizard World has sold all but 10% ownership of the fledging ConTV to Cinedigm. That venture was a $1.3m loss for WizardWorld in 2015.

WizardWorld has 19 conventions planned in 2016, with one being the new 'con cruise' venture.

The comic convention franchise Wizard World is scaling back the number of conventions after filing a $4.25 million loss in 2015, according to ICv2. The company, which takes its name from the defunct magazine Wizard, held 25 events in 2015 for a combined revenue of $22.9m, which was less than 2014's convention revenue of $23.1m despite only hosting 17 shows that year. Looking closer, Wizard World's 2015 conventions earned on average $916,000 per show, as opposed to $1.36m in the year prior.

Additionally, Wizard World has sold all but 10% ownership of the fledging ConTV to Cinedigm. That venture was a $1.3m loss for WizardWorld in 2015.

WizardWorld has 19 conventions planned in 2016, with one being the new 'con cruise' venture.

They clearly bit off more that they should have in 2015, and their shows all suffered. I don't think anyone else looked at Des Moines or Madison and thought that those markets were ripe for giant comic shows. Not to mention able to justify $1,100 booths for a three day show. As already mentioned, their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

They clearly bit off more that they should have in 2015, and their shows all suffered. I don't think anyone else looked at Des Moines or Madison and thought that those markets were ripe for giant comic shows. Not to mention able to justify $1,100 booths for a three day show. As already mentioned, their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

I bet those turned out better than WW China.

I thought their strategy was to gain customer data/experience and choke out competition by operating at a loss for a few years, then come back with more experience, less shows per year, and a focused vengeance on hot markets. If so, then now is the time to strike. If not, then WTF were they doing?????

And so far the con cruise sounds like the beginning of the worst horror movie ever.

I wouldn't mind if they bottomed out, their business model seems poorly thought out.

There was a Wizard World Convention in Des Moines? Wow, I had no idea and I live in Iowa..

There was a Wizard World Convention in Des Moines? Wow, I had no idea and I live in Iowa..

Yeah, it was promoted and I setup there last year. Not even bothering this year. Everything I've heard lately about Wizard is that it's a sinking ship. Hopefully that cruise keeps afloat.

Edited by Rhymenoceros

Yeah, it was promoted and I setup there last year. Not even bothering this year. Everything I've heard lately about Wizard is that it's a sinking ship. Hopefully that cruise keeps afloat.

I see what you did there. And it won't.

I see what you did there. And it won't.

Yeah, I can't see the cruise going over well. And what celeb in their right mind wants to be trapped onboard a ship with people geeking out for four straight days? It definitely sounds like a horror movie for them, either trapped in their room or constantly "on" for days on end. Hemsworth seems to have the right idea, I saw that he is meeting the cruise in the Bahamas but won't be on the ship. Very smart.

WW went too big, too fast, with too much. When you hit a sweet spot and things are going good, don't get greedy and don't try screwing others over. Pretty simple. A good friend of mine is booked for that WW cruise and he'll give me a full report.