• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

carbo for face-to-face is fine. just know he is an aggressive new yorker. not so much lately, but in the 90s/early 2000s I spent thousands with him. but he's a different sort of dealer now, a bit less desperate to make $150 or whatever. his dad is a nice guy.

a DD 1 i bought from him 20 years ago did come back with a small sealed tear on the back cover that i did not see either. it was part of a big package deal and i doubt he was aware of it as it was not apparent to our expert pressologist here when the person who bought it from me sent it in for a pressing en route to slabbing.

one of these days I will slab the VF or better avengers 2 that came with the deal and see how that turns out.

Remember, 20 years ago, many dealers considered tear seals and slight restoration as enhancing a book, not hurting it.

Stock (WIZD) down another 42% today after getting pummeled 28% last Friday on no apparent news. Full disclosure I have (fortunately at this point), a very small position in the stock.

Good lord, why? lol

Because I have a tremendous aversion to risk, otherwise I would've taken out a much larger position. Great risk/reward opportunity. Again, I didn't exactly go all in on WIZD stock.

I hear that. Moondog's show is still good no matter how much Wizard wants to mess with it.

Maybe it has something to do with the large amount of shows they have been doing that have been complete disasters.

What a crock this has been...when's the last time they put on a real comic book show? :screwy:

Chicago next month...best CON of the year bar none.

Jim

(thumbs u

carbo for face-to-face is fine. just know he is an aggressive new yorker. not so much lately, but in the 90s/early 2000s I spent thousands with him. but he's a different sort of dealer now, a bit less desperate to make $150 or whatever. his dad is a nice guy.

a DD 1 i bought from him 20 years ago did come back with a small sealed tear on the back cover that i did not see either. it was part of a big package deal and i doubt he was aware of it as it was not apparent to our expert pressologist here when the person who bought it from me sent it in for a pressing en route to slabbing.

one of these days I will slab the VF or better avengers 2 that came with the deal and see how that turns out.

Remember, 20 years ago, many dealers considered tear seals and slight restoration as enhancing a book, not hurting it.

Probably more like 30 years ago, and we all know the verdict on restored books in today's marketplace. :tonofbricks:

The question is what will the verdict be 30 years from now on the sanctioned manipulation of books for the sole purpose of enhancement and maximization of value in today's marketplace. hm(shrug)

I used to avoid Carbo like the plague. Maybe because of that "NY dealer" 'tude. My buddies used to call him "The Barker" with that sideshow thing he does so well.

Not many hobbies can get away with characters like this. And we have plenty in this biz. Part of what makes it so fun!

You mean a bit like Jim Cramer on his Mad Money investment talk show!!! :insane:

Probably more like 30 years ago, and we all know the verdict on restored books in today's marketplace. :tonofbricks:

The question is what will the verdict be 30 years from now on the sanctioned manipulation of books for the sole purpose of enhancement and maximization of value in today's marketplace. hm(shrug)

Restored books fell out of favor when CGC put them in different labels, and that wasn't even twenty years ago. Where the market is on restored books thirty years from now is irrelevant when examining a deal done twenty years ago. Twenty years ago, non-disclosure was pretty much the norm.

yeah, crooked ones did. i can't say what the world was like in 1985, however, as that was not part of my thought process, and I think that was probably more the thinking 30 years ago, but in 1995 I was aware that sealed tears, color touch, etc. devalued the book at least from the "apparent" grade...a sealed tear would NOT make a book VF! I did not know that the PLOD would further enlarge the spread between minor resto and no resto, however.

as opposed to reconstructing some major key with a major overhaul. in 1995 that was the financially sensible thing to do. today i suppose the answer is "it depends"

I used to avoid Carbo like the plague. Maybe because of that "NY dealer" 'tude. My buddies used to call him "The Barker" with that sideshow thing he does so well. Then I set up next to him at a show and got to know him. I found him to be super friendly, very knowledgeable and fair to me. He always wants to buy my stuff but I haven't ever gone there and probably wouldn't. I have however, bought lots of stuff from him. I have always been very happy with the deals he gave me. Once he got to know me and realized I'd been doing it as long as he has, we get along great.

I do get tired, just watching him go. He has unbridled energy and a passion for collectibles. "The thrill of the deal" is everything to him and really comes across in this video.

Not many hobbies can get away with characters like this. And we have plenty in this biz. Part of what makes it so fun!

He sooo needs to find a new venue for the Big Apple show.

I used to avoid Carbo like the plague. Maybe because of that "NY dealer" 'tude. My buddies used to call him "The Barker" with that sideshow thing he does so well. Then I set up next to him at a show and got to know him. I found him to be super friendly, very knowledgeable and fair to me. He always wants to buy my stuff but I haven't ever gone there and probably wouldn't. I have however, bought lots of stuff from him. I have always been very happy with the deals he gave me. Once he got to know me and realized I'd been doing it as long as he has, we get along great.

I do get tired, just watching him go. He has unbridled energy and a passion for collectibles. "The thrill of the deal" is everything to him and really comes across in this video.

How is this show? Is it the one day show he does? I remember seeing his guest list full of the old GA and SA guests and almost flew out from the west coast. Hey, I'm used to shows in parking lots if they are good.

How is this show? Is it the one day show he does? I remember seeing his guest list full of the old GA and SA guests and almost flew out from the west coast. Hey, I'm used to shows in parking lots if they are good.

This was from last year

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8218595&fpart=1

however, no pics of Carbo himself :(

I think I got sigs from Adams, Defalco, Buckler & Rubinstein on that one.

I liked it

I don't think that was the show I meant. I thought it was in the city a couple years ago. It was a one day show and had just about every living GA and SA artist I could think of. A lot of those people are too old to travel any more but they can drive into the city for an appearance I guess.

This was the one held at the old hotel near MSG. Really crowded and ungodly hot, not to mention the bathroom situation was awful. I think it was just the one day -- at least, I only went one day. Good turnout of dealers and I picked up some nice books, but not enjoyable in that venue.

Edited to add: It was this one: http://www.conventionscene.com/2014/10/04/big-apple-convention-march-2015/

Edited by Sqeggs

Lost another 14 cents today. Down to 33 cents a share. Very interesting. At this point putting your money into this stock can make you alot of money or you can lose it all. lol

Edited by lemonman5

Who wants to see the emails where John Macaluso, WW CEO & facebook star, offered to cancel WW Indy last February if Indiana Comic Con (last March) would pay its combined venue rental & hotel room block of approx. $100K?

Who wants to know how much they lost in Indy when they proceeded anyway, after Indiana Comic Con rejected this curious brand of what looks like gangsterism?

WW scheduled Orlando 2016 the same weekend as Tampa Bay Comic Con 2016. Who is ready to make predictions & take bets?