• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

Remember, 20 years ago, many dealers considered tear seals and slight restoration as enhancing a book, not hurting it.

yeah, crooked ones did. i can't say what the world was like in 1985, however, as that was not part of my thought process, and I think that was probably more the thinking 30 years ago, but in 1995 I was aware that sealed tears, color touch, etc. devalued the book at least from the "apparent" grade...a sealed tear would NOT make a book VF! I did not know that the PLOD would further enlarge the spread between minor resto and no resto, however.

Not necessarily unless you are also calling most of today's collectors and dealers crooks.

How soon we forget how the marketplace has changed over time. Yes, back in the late 70's and early 80's restoration was indeed seen as a positive activity which added to the monetary value of a unrestored book by improving its overall condition and appearance. This was so engrained in the hobby to the extent that Overstreet even had an entire section in the price guide to help determine the added value of a restored book as compared to its prior lower value unrestored state.

Needless to say, the mood of the marketplace changed towards restored books over the years. Unfortunately, it would appear that we have not learned from our past mistakes as we continue to manipulate books and foist them without disclosure upon unsuspecting buyers all in the pursuit of more money. Or maybe we did learn from our past mistakes by simply selecting more subtle and hard to detect activities and rebranding them as non-restorative now. Will the marketplace still think the same way 30 years from now if there are more cost effective techniques developed to detect these more subtle non-restorative activities by then? (shrug)

Yes, the initial purpose of the PLOD was to help facilitate the identification and differentiation of restored books from unrestored books for the marketplace. Unfortunately, the use of the PLOD not only facilitated the identification of restored books, but unintentionally facilitated the stigmatization of restored books in the marketplace through its 2-color labelling system. This unintended consequence of the PLOD was probably the primary reason why SB himself did not adopt a similar labelling system when he started his new company. Certainly not one to repeat a mistake and you can bet that it would be in place if he had thought it was a good idea. hm

..... restored comics were also more accepted (to a degree....) due to differences in a given comic's perceived scarcity in the market. In the 80's and most of the 90's, when the show came to town, there were many, many books that just NEVER showed up at the LCS. With the advent of eBay and the internet, books now "seem" to be more common, allowing and encouraging collectors to be more discriminating. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Anyone remember when Wally Woods Heroes book was considered semi-rare?. Or how putting runs of Captain Action or THUNDER Agents was considered difficult?

It was a different world, pre internet and slabbing.

For a normal stock on like nasdaq when it falls under a dollar they have a year or so to get above a dollar to not be delisted. They can get extensions. This stock isn't in nyse or nasdaq, it's OTC anyway. I think today it will get smashed again.

The creditors of this company are gonna get a surprise if this stocks goes down even further ....the volume of trading is the key here....too bad, nice idea...

Edited by Mmehdy

http://www.newsarama.com/25693-report-wizard-world-announces-1-8m-loss-for-q2-2015.html

WIZARD WORLD Announces $1.8m Loss For Q2 2015

The comic convention franchise Wizard World is reporting $1.8m in losses for the second quarter of 2015. The total revenue before expenses for the company's Q2 2015 was $7.57m. This follows a recent increase in the number of shows the company has around the world to 24 yearly, including an expansion into China.

“Q2 was highlighted by record quarterly revenue and more than a twenty-percent increase in average-revenue-per-convention over the previous quarter,” said Wizard World CEO John Macaluso. “This was achieved despite unforeseen celebrity cancellations due to scheduling conflicts and other unrelated contractual obligations. While we experienced overwhelming demand for our first Comic Con in China, the event was not as successful as we anticipated due to extraordinary circumstances and venue changes. We learned from this experience, and, in preparation for the next one, will be taking greater control over the event logistics and day-of execution so that we can better serve the robust and vibrant pop culture community in China."

This is the second quarter in which Wizard World has reported a loss, after its Q1 2015 report noted $980,000, for a total of $2.78m lost in the first half of 2015. That is in stark contrast to its profits in the same period of 2014, whichi saw it earn $1.45m in profit in Q1 & Q2 of 2014.

In its quarterly report, Wizard World cited the expansion in shows and the associated expenses such as advertising, marketing and employment that came as part of that. In the second quarter of 2014, each Wizard World show earned an average of $1.8m in revenue, while in 2015 that decreased to a $1.1m average revenue.

prediction stock will be 35 cents by the end of the week.

Make that 25 cents by the end of the week....

Stock is up 3% at the moment. I don't track penny stocks to begin with. I suppose I might if I was a competitor and loved reveling in their misery. :baiting: As a publicly traded company, they have the misfortune of having to be public in their failures.

An events company is only worth 1) its brand 2) the cash it has in the bank to finance its events 3) a non-compete agreement.

If an events company doesn't build a brand but rather markets their events on the strength of other brands (eg the 'comic con' brand; the local, preexisting con's brand vis-a-vis predatory brand confusion; the 'William Shatner' brand; the 'Stan Lee' brand; &c.), then their brand's FMV goes to zero.

If an events company doesn't have the cash in the bank to finance its events, it folds or goes bankrupt. If it folds, its FMV is zero. If it goes bankrupt, its FMV value is zero, unless it has an attractive brand.

If an events company folds or goes bankrupt, the FMV of a non-compete goes to or approaches zero. It has no assets to sell to find its way out of bankruptcy. An interested buyer can keep their money & launch a start-up instead.

We will soon be seeing the Great Comic Con Correction. When reset is pressed, things will improve for all, including the exhibitor & attendee.