• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

And don't forget about the concert addition to WW shows. Yep, WW is claiming this is the first time a concert has been done in conjunction with a con. I know one smaller show that did this last year, it just wasn't with any headliners. You think comic cons are expensive to produce, you should look into doing a concert.

And don't forget about the concert addition to WW shows. Yep, WW is claiming this is the first time a concert has been done in conjunction with a con. I know one smaller show that did this last year, it just wasn't with any headliners. You think comic cons are expensive to produce, you should look into doing a concert.

what PR , I know that a few different cons have had concerts,

Kirby Krackle comes to mind. Adam WarRock too.... I know they've played at/in conjunction with Emerald City Comicon and the CGS con out in Philly....

maybe it's the first time it's been done at a Wizard con... but they certainly havent thought of something new here...

I actually thought the music show was a good idea. Apparently Wizard has been talking about it for a few years now. Music is probably the most popular form of pop-culture so if they're putting on a pop-culture show, which let's face it that's what these shows are, then music should be represented IMO.

From what I read, Grimes (I had no idea who she was but apparently she has quite a following in the EDM scene) is performing in Philly for Wizard this year.

There's also a live show being planned for WW Chicago. So for it consists of about 5 of us with John Dolmayan from System Of A Down playing drums and a supporting band made up of a few people. We plan on doing a dozen or so cover songs. Mostly heavy rock oriented.

I actually thought the music show was a good idea. Apparently Wizard has been talking about it for a few years now. Music is probably the most popular form of pop-culture so if they're putting on a pop-culture show, which let's face it that's what these shows are, then music should be represented IMO.

From what I read, Grimes (I had no idea who she was but apparently she has quite a following in the EDM scene) is performing in Philly for Wizard this year.

There's also a live show being planned for WW Chicago. So for it consists of about 5 of us with John Dolmayan from System Of A Down playing drums and a supporting band made up of a few people. We plan on doing a dozen or so cover songs. Mostly heavy rock oriented.

Wait... so you're saying you will be playing with John Dolmayan at WW Chicago?

their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

They booked WW Indy 2015 1 month before us, same venue. 30 days before WW Indy, JM called me & asked for $100K+ to make him go away. His NYC offices forwarded to us their invoices from the venue & the hotel room blocks. We declined.

They booked WW Orlando 2016 same weekend as us. From the Tampa Convention Center to the Orange County Convention Center, it is 60 minutes, portal to portal. No calls from JM this time. No demands for cash. None of that.

With little effort, we burned their camps outside our basketball courts & set their ships aflame upon our beaches.

They made a mistake stepping into our sight-line.

Kirby Krackle comes to mind. Adam WarRock too.... I know they've played at/in conjunction with Emerald City Comicon and the CGS con out in Philly....

maybe it's the first time it's been done at a Wizard con... but they certainly havent thought of something new here...

Awesome Con has a concert every year and they've only been around a few years. Benefit of doing a show in DC, it's so small you can do stuff in a few different places and people don't have to work much to get around.

Perception. Reality. Still an unfounded claim either way you slice it.

their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

They booked WW Indy 2015 1 month before us, same venue. 30 days before WW Indy, JM called me & asked for $100K+ to make him go away. His NYC offices forwarded to us their invoices from the venue & the hotel room blocks. We declined.

They booked WW Orlando 2016 same weekend as us. From the Tampa Convention Center to the Orange County Convention Center, it is 60 minutes, portal to portal. No calls from JM this time. No demands for cash. None of that.

With little effort, we burned their camps outside our basketball courts & set their ships aflame upon our beaches.

They made a mistake stepping into our sight-line.

Extortionist wildly_fanciful_statement. What a mope. meh

So are you planning on doing your Robert Plant, David Coverdale or Kirk Hammett impersonations?

You do realize that at a comic book show it might not be in your best interest to have underwear thrown at the stage.

Edited by blazingbob

WIZARD WORLD Scaling Back Conventions After $4.25m Loss In 2015

The comic convention franchise Wizard World is scaling back the number of conventions after filing a $4.25 million loss in 2015, according to ICv2. The company, which takes its name from the defunct magazine Wizard, held 25 events in 2015 for a combined revenue of $22.9m, which was less than 2014's convention revenue of $23.1m despite only hosting 17 shows that year. Looking closer, Wizard World's 2015 conventions earned on average $916,000 per show, as opposed to $1.36m in the year prior.

Additionally, Wizard World has sold all but 10% ownership of the fledging ConTV to Cinedigm. That venture was a $1.3m loss for WizardWorld in 2015.

WizardWorld has 19 conventions planned in 2016, with one being the new 'con cruise' venture.

They clearly bit off more that they should have in 2015, and their shows all suffered. I don't think anyone else looked at Des Moines or Madison and thought that those markets were ripe for giant comic shows. Not to mention able to justify $1,100 booths for a three day show. As already mentioned, their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

Arent those boardie owned shows?

So are you planning on doing your Robert Plant, David Coverdale or Kirk Hammett impersonations?

You do realize that at a comic book show it might not be in your best interest to have underwear thrown at the stage.

featherkick_zps746dcca7.gif

WIZARD WORLD Scaling Back Conventions After $4.25m Loss In 2015

The comic convention franchise Wizard World is scaling back the number of conventions after filing a $4.25 million loss in 2015, according to ICv2. The company, which takes its name from the defunct magazine Wizard, held 25 events in 2015 for a combined revenue of $22.9m, which was less than 2014's convention revenue of $23.1m despite only hosting 17 shows that year. Looking closer, Wizard World's 2015 conventions earned on average $916,000 per show, as opposed to $1.36m in the year prior.

Additionally, Wizard World has sold all but 10% ownership of the fledging ConTV to Cinedigm. That venture was a $1.3m loss for WizardWorld in 2015.

WizardWorld has 19 conventions planned in 2016, with one being the new 'con cruise' venture.

They clearly bit off more that they should have in 2015, and their shows all suffered. I don't think anyone else looked at Des Moines or Madison and thought that those markets were ripe for giant comic shows. Not to mention able to justify $1,100 booths for a three day show. As already mentioned, their efforts to muscle into Indy and Orlando were also really stupid wastes of big money.

Arent those boardie owned shows?

(thumbs u

Is there anyone else doing a price guide news mag like wizard used to have? Seems like nobody exists in that market space. Beckett still does all the different sports cards mags and even added a bunch of others. Is everyone just using a website for it now?

Is there anyone else doing a price guide news mag like wizard used to have? Seems like nobody exists in that market space. Beckett still does all the different sports cards mags and even added a bunch of others. Is everyone just using a website for it now?

Nope. You should start one.