• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

If these people go under, who's going to promote the swords/flasks/t-shirt/bathroom remodeling/herbal medicine convention that we had here in St. Louis this spring???

thats where the anime cons come in.

I hear that. Moondog's show is still good no matter how much Wizard wants to mess with it.

Maybe it has something to do with the large amount of shows they have been doing that have been complete disasters.

What a crock this has been...when's the last time they put on a real comic book show? :screwy:

Chicago next month...best CON of the year bar none.

Jim

That was one of the many disasters I was speaking of. That one, the Atlanta one, the louisville one, there was a bunch more. Ghost towns as far as buyers go, and most of the comic dealers have been priced out. All you see is booth after booth of swords, stuffed animals, blah blah blah.

You have your good sellers there like Jeff at Victory,Dale etc, but you aren't going to see 20 guys set up trying to sell their collections or the guys that only do a show every few years. Those smaller guys that make up a good show that you can actually spend a bunch of money with can't afford the insano prices that Wizard charges for space. I've actually heard the guys in charge say that they don't want that "flea market atmosphere" at their shows. You really can't even call the majority of their shows "comic shows" anymore. They're events that have an abundance of C-list celebrities that are meant to draw in cosplayers to pay admission and not spend money beyond getting a "celebrity" sig.

If these people go under, who's going to promote the swords/flasks/t-shirt/bathroom remodeling/herbal medicine convention that we had here in St. Louis this spring???

Wow. I hadn't even heard of this. This is beyond a disaster.

Maybe it has something to do with the large amount of shows they have been doing that have been complete disasters.

You mean like their China show?

http://www.twoamericansinchina.com/2015/05/the-big-con-nightmare-guangzhou-comic-con.html

They moved the venue to a tent and many people were stuck outside inline in the heat hours past the open because they wouldn't let people in until others left. :eek:

By 12:00 the celebrities started arriving, and they were not happy with what they saw. Thousands of guests and fans were still standing outside in the broiling sun, and inside, it was so crowded there weren’t even any chairs for them to sit and sign autographs.

...and it gets better

About 2:30, the organizers announced that no one else would be allowed inside (not that they had let anyone in since about noon) and only VIP ticket-holders would be allowed inside on Sunday. A mini riot broke out, which caused the celebrity guests to be evacuated the police to form a human barricade around the tent. The organizers then said they would issue refunds for all the regular ticket holders, but they didn’t give any directions about how to get the refund. We have contacted event organizers directly as well as Wizard World and Coke via their website, Facebook, and Twitter, all to no response, so we have not received any refunds.

Press release:

In an effort to drive revenue and attendance at the Wizard World Conventions, we at Wizard are proud to announce that starting as of right now, we will no longer be subject to the fake Superman the nerds cosplay as. Instead, we have secured a two year touring contract with the real Superman! That's right! Over the next two years, you can meet the REAL Superman. He will be available to take pictures and sign autographs (for a nominal fee of course) at every Wizard World Con. This is a big day for us and hopefully for you too! We hope you are as excited as we are!

-Gareb Shamus

PS - Please come to our shows…please...

lol

I always picture Shamus sitting in an office above the show in an Emperor Palpatine cloak rubbing his hands together. I used to love his magazine. I think he'd be a cool guy to talk to, but I've never had the opportunity. I was invited to a couple of the Wizard guy's happy hour things and the guys that pretty much run things are a bunch of tool bags. Actually, most of their staff are rude and severely lacking in social graces. (I feel like I've been on the boards too long. I think I may have just used one of the curse word edits without even thinking about it)

Press release:

In an effort to drive revenue and attendance at the Wizard World Conventions, we at Wizard are proud to announce that starting as of right now, we will no longer be subject to the fake Superman the nerds cosplay as. Instead, we have secured a two year touring contract with the real Superman! That's right! Over the next two years, you can meet the REAL Superman. He will be available to take pictures and sign autographs (for a nominal fee of course) at every Wizard World Con. This is a big day for us and hopefully for you too! We hope you are as excited as we are!

-Gareb Shamus

Stock (WIZD) down another 42% today after getting pummeled 28% last Friday on no apparent news. Full disclosure I have (fortunately at this point), a very small position in the stock.

:gossip: It's because they gave Carbo a TV Show. I'd sell all my stock after finding that out! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/contv-launches-original-series-comic-100000789.html

What a crack up. I saw him and a couple of his buddies set up at a flea market last sunday. He didn't mention it to me. Has anybody seen it? Is it worth watching?

Edited by Robot Man

Press release:

-Gareb Shamus

Note the bold sentence... doesn't that sound like he's begging us to pay up in attendance? Sig fees? :taptaptap:

What a crock this has been...when's the last time they put on a real comic book show? :screwy:

I had a tent set up in my back yard and the next day I got a call from a Wizard representative asking about weekend rates.

Well clearly the poster didn't state it was a joke post.

If Wizard reads this thread I don't think they would find it funny.

As far as the Wizard pile on goes I'm sure there are a lot of haters out there but there are also people who make a living doing their shows. So before you completely throw them under the bus for the China show fiasco how about seeing if some other issues caused the problems?

Not that I'm defending them but China isn't exactly the "free speech" communication capital of the world. I did read but again is it true or not that other events have had issues there?

Edited by blazingbob

Well clearly the poster didn't state it was a joke post.

What, this one:

Press release:

-Gareb Shamus

?

Did it have to be explicitly stated? Really?

If Wizard reads this thread I don't think they would find it funny.

Why, is there nobody left from the magazine days?

Has anyone read their financials? Yuck. They are not a good business.

I think this is it.

1st quarter 2014 they turned a profit of almost $700,000

1st quarter 2015 they had a loss of almost $1 million

They added four more shows - but revenue per event was 1/2 of what it was the year before.

They are facing a huge amount of competition. There are a lot more shows springing up all over the place.

IDK what their long term prospects are. But in the near term it doesn't look like a stock or company that will enjoy success doing what they have done in the past.