• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 39 CGC 9.6 takes a hit of 75K

135 posts in this topic

That book in that grade comes up for sale too often. It impacts the "specialness" of it.

AF 15 is the number 3 book in the hobby. If a 9.6 came up now I'd wager it would break 1.2M.

-J.

I don't think so. When the copy sold for 1.1mil, it was the only 9.6, now there are more in the census. And I also believe the sale was influenced by the multi millions sales of the Action 1 and Tec 27 at the time

All Jay needs to do is go ask Colorado Comics what they paid for their copy.

Its just so simple, not every sale on every book is going to go up at this point. Over the past 5 years we have seen key silver & gold books double and triple in value. After 30 yrs of collecting comics I can tell you this is not the norm & it points to our hobby moving toward some very bad times in the future.The high end investor/speculator & superhero hype in general have fueled many books out of the reach of true collectors. When people who do not collect an item get into a hobby to invest at some point there has to and is going to be slow down in the market IMO. After a certain dollar point there are only so many players.AF 15 Tec 27 Action 1 ect will always be in very high demand in any grade. But lets be honest some of the prices seen on recent so called rare bronze, silver & gold keys are just not realistic & in this case 9.6 or not Iron man is not Spiderman! ( I don't know about you but a 300k+ book puts most comic people I know out of the game real quick, including myself).What can and will happen is not new it's happened to almost every hobby I can think of over the last 30 yrs. ( classic cars, stamps coins baseball cards ect). In the end some people get burnt and others don't. The best thing to do is to buy what you love and what you can afford and enjoy it for how damn special it is to you. Because the one thing I do know is the investor tends to sells off real quick and runs to the next HOT collectible. In the end the same people who started the hobby stay around because they love the smell of old cheap pulp and the magic printed on it .................... Just an old dogs point of view.

While it certainly stings to take a hit like that, my guess is that anyone that can initially drop 375K on a book can, most likely, afford a 75K hit. It certainly sucks, but I don't think it will be life destroying. They'll also be able to claim it as a loss at tax time.

Small consolation to be sure.

Its just so simple, not every sale on every book is going to go up at this point. Over the past 5 years we have seen key silver & gold books double and triple in value. After 30 yrs of collecting comics I can tell you this is not the norm & it points to our hobby moving toward some very bad times in the future.The high end investor/speculator & superhero hype in general have fueled many books out of the reach of true collectors. When people who do not collect an item get into a hobby to invest at some point there has to and is going to be slow down in the market IMO. After a certain dollar point there are only so many players.AF 15 Tec 27 Action 1 ect will always be in very high demand in any grade. But lets be honest some of the prices seen on recent so called rare bronze, silver & gold keys are just not realistic & in this case 9.6 or not Iron man is not Spiderman! ( I don't know about you but a 300k+ book puts most comic people I know out of the game real quick, including myself).What can and will happen is not new it's happened to almost every hobby I can think of over the last 30 yrs. ( classic cars, stamps coins baseball cards ect). In the end some people get burnt and others don't. The best thing to do is to buy what you love and what you can afford and enjoy it for how damn special it is to you. Because the one thing I do know is the investor tends to sells off real quick and runs to the next HOT collectible. In the end the same people who started the hobby stay around because they love the smell of old cheap pulp and the magic printed on it .................... Just an old dogs point of view.

That's true, Iron Man isn't Spider-Man, Batman or Superman. However, you're looking at it wrong, the same can be said that Iron Man isn't Thor, Look at the price of a 9.6 Journey Into Mystery 83? Last one I saw was over 500K. There are a lot of people who can actually afford these types of books in those rare grades, more than you think. Those types of people want the best of the best and are willing to pay for it. While it's true those books in those kinds of grade put many people out of the game so to speak, it doesn't slow down their desire, the demand is still there, with so little copies available in such high grades it makes the price explode.

An investor doesn't run and sell off "real quick" and run to the next "hot collectible" That is what a reseller does, not an investor. An investor will hold onto their investment for a long period of time and watch said investment grow over the years.

Your post reads like The Fox And The Grapes.

While it certainly stings to take a hit like that, my guess is that anyone that can initially drop 375K on a book can, most likely, afford a 75K hit. It certainly sucks, but I don't think it will be life destroying. They'll also be able to claim it as a loss at tax time.

if that's the same 9.6 copy that the seller sold for 300K and paid 375K, He certainly sold it too soon.

That book in that grade comes up for sale too often. It impacts the "specialness" of it.

AF 15 is the number 3 book in the hobby. If a 9.6 came up now I'd wager it would break 1.2M.

-J.

I don't think so. When the copy sold for 1.1mil, it was the only 9.6, now there are more in the census. And I also believe the sale was influenced by the multi millions sales of the Action 1 and Tec 27 at the time

..... either way, it's a moot point. It doesn't seem that folks are even willing to sell the 9.6's...... or the 9.4's...... or....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

if that's the same 9.6 copy that the seller sold for 300K and paid 375K, He certainly sold it too soon.

I didn't check it, just assumed that it was the same book. :blush:

Perhaps it was listed for too low? I am under the impression it was $300k OBO and not that the $300k was an accepted price. Seams like a rather large hit over a few years time. No?

In my experience the "sale pending" price is the final price. As for the loss, and this is all hypothetical, if the seller was Canadian and sold for the stronger US dollar, their loss may not have been as severe as it would seem.... again, this is just a scenario. Larger International transactions are often conducted through brokers like Clink due to their guaranteed delivery of goods. GOD BLESS...

I didn't check it, just assumed that it was the same book. :blush:

Same book.

Not sure what the fox or grapes is about? Yes your right the ultra rare books as I noted will always be in demand & at the top of pool & naturally always have people willing to pay for them. But anyone who thinks that this rate increase in comics books across the board is going to continue & will not cycle down at some point for many many reasons should look at the trends in this & other hobbies over the years including past comic trends. For example I had a 1969 Z28 for 24 years and still love classic american muscle cars so I am in touch with that hobby & I can look back 10 years ago and see the same trends & type of posts in this hobby as that one. Classic rare cars with low miles and in c10 condition that just 8-5 years ago were selling for 1 million dollars plus are now worth half. IMO Your lying to yourself if you think there is no top and no bottom( on even the big books) in our hobby. This has been true in high end art, classic cars, baseball, coins, vintage firearms and countless other hobbies where said product reaches a point of being worth more then the base or in this case comic collectors can afford to buy. I have no doubt there are many people who can afford 500k books but after 30 yrs in the hobby and 8 years with a toy & comic store I know very few true collectors who can afford these types of books today, now that could just mean I know a lot of poor people and I am way off the mark as I said its just an old dogs point of view after years of being in this hobby that I love. As a side note I would also like to point out that for the first 30 years of our hobby the average working joe ie the poor guys I know could and did afford almost any book in the hobby with some effort and time you could own even the rarest of books. I was 14 years old and worked all summer for my1st AF 15 in a blueberry field in Hammonton NJ & made payment for 9 months.I know its hard to understand if your new to all this but there was a time when the only people in the world who cared who Wolverine was were the people who actually read the comics. I guess only time will tell how high this can go, lets talk in 5 years and maybe I owe you a cold one. Because if your right some of the books I have should set me up for life, but I know myself I will still keep them as I would never be able to afford them again lol. Mozz

ps..............Was that more grapes or fox?

After a certain dollar point there are only so many players.

Yes, when the music stops, things will get complicated for a bit.

But,e ven if there is a downturn, it will only be a brief pause because the Federal Reserve is printing dollars like they are going out of style.

I am long vintage comic books !

That's true, Iron Man isn't Spider-Man, Batman or Superman. However, you're looking at it wrong, the same can be said that Iron Man isn't Thor, Look at the price of a 9.6 Journey Into Mystery 83? Last one I saw was over 500K. There are a lot of people who can actually afford these types of books in those rare grades, more than you think. Those types of people want the best of the best and are willing to pay for it. While it's true those books in those kinds of grade put many people out of the game so to speak, it doesn't slow down their desire, the demand is still there, with so little copies available in such high grades it makes the price explode.

An investor doesn't run and sell off "real quick" and run to the next "hot collectible" That is what a reseller does, not an investor. An investor will hold onto their investment for a long period of time and watch said investment grow over the years.

Your post reads like The Fox And The Grapes.

30 years of collecting as taught me that if you buy the best of the best that a person will do very well in the long term

Now ascertaining what is the "best of the best" is a different topic entirely.

As far as the Tales of Suspense 39 goes, you never know what the owner's situation was that made them decide to sell when they did. Bankruptcy, divorce, needed to pay for a yacht...anything is possible. Heck, maybe they just decided they didn't like Iron Man anymore, or maybe Robert Downey Jr. flipped him off at Comic Con!

-J.

..... either way, it's a moot point. It doesn't seem that folks are even willing to sell the 9.6's...... or the 9.4's...... or....... GOD BLESS...

Exactly. Books at that level need to "go away" for awhile. There are a finite amount of people who are willing or able to spend that kind of cash, and pent up demand for a book rarely seen in grade like that needs to have a chance to build. You don't "flip" $400k books. Trying to do so makes the seller look desperate and "low ball" offers come out when buyers smell blood in the waters.

In the interim, AF 15 has continued to power up in value across all grades, from top to bottom. It is the number 3 book in the hobby, featuring (perhaps arguably) the #2 character of the hobby. The movies have certainly made Iron Man more popular and mainstream than ever, but he still ain't no Spider-man (and never will be).

If an Action 1 can go up 33% in grade over a similar time frame, there's no reason to believe that a 9.6 AF 15 wouldn't or couldn't break $1.2M. Obviously it's all speculation, however, since as you say, no one holding those copies seem to have an inclination to sell.

-J.

Not sure what the fox or grapes is about? Yes your right the ultra rare books as I noted will always be in demand & at the top of pool & naturally always have people willing to pay for them. But anyone who thinks that this rate increase in comics books across the board is going to continue & will not cycle down at some point for many many reasons should look at the trends in this & other hobbies over the years including past comic trends. For example I had a 1969 Z28 for 24 years and still love classic american muscle cars so I am in touch with that hobby & I can look back 10 years ago and see the same trends & type of posts in this hobby as that one. Classic rare cars with low miles and in c10 condition that just 8-5 years ago were selling for 1 million dollars plus are now worth half. IMO Your lying to yourself if you think there is no top and no bottom( on even the big books) in our hobby. This has been true in high end art, classic cars, baseball, coins, vintage firearms and countless other hobbies where said product reaches a point of being worth more then the base or in this case comic collectors can afford to buy. I have no doubt there are many people who can afford 500k books but after 30 yrs in the hobby and 8 years with a toy & comic store I know very few true collectors who can afford these types of books today, now that could just mean I know a lot of poor people and I am way off the mark as I said its just an old dogs point of view after years of being in this hobby that I love. As a side note I would also like to point out that for the first 30 years of our hobby the average working joe ie the poor guys I know could and did afford almost any book in the hobby with some effort and time you could own even the rarest of books. I was 14 years old and worked all summer for my1st AF 15 in a blueberry field in Hammonton NJ & made payment for 9 months.I know its hard to understand if your new to all this but there was a time when the only people in the world who cared who Wolverine was were the people who actually read the comics. I guess only time will tell how high this can go, lets talk in 5 years and maybe I owe you a cold one. Because if your right some of the books I have should set me up for life, but I know myself I will still keep them as I would never be able to afford them again lol. Mozz

ps..............Was that more grapes or fox?

Everything is cyclical. Everything has a ceiling (except for Hulk 181, obviously) and a floor. To get all doom and despair is kind of jumping the gun, at least in my opinion. Look at it like this, Frank. If the sky falls and the comic industry takes a massive dump, you'll be able to afford all the cool books that you couldn't before. I don't buy to invest. I buy to collect. They can pull my boxes and empty them after they lower me into the ground. I won't care then. :D

buying "the best of the best" is great ... till that 9.8 comes along.

No doubt that buying "the best of the best" is not easy to discern. New books enter the census and tastes shift. I remember when Captain Marvel Adventures # 1 was the most sought after book.

Times change.

Captain_Marvel_Adventures_1.jpg