• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 39 CGC 9.6 takes a hit of 75K

135 posts in this topic

if the seller was Canadian and sold for the stronger US dollar

the seller also bought the book in USD

In 2012 the US:CAD was much closer to par. So the 375k USD was 375k CAD, now the 300kUSD is closer to 380CAD.

What makes you think the initial purchaser of the $375K book and now the $300K seller was a Canadian in the first place?

If this is the case, it would most definitely reduce the loss to really nothing more than the seller's premium for auctioning off the book. (thumbs u

.... it was just a hypothetical scenario to illustrate how "loss" can be a variable factor. The individual may also be selling to park the money in some deflated Chinese stocks that may be poised to double in the next two years..... a return that the TOS 39 will not generate...... or a fantastic investment opportunity of another nature. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

$300K is still a strong sale. At that level most collectors will hold on to these gems for a long time so these sales are all about where the market is at that time and where the seller's mindset is [eager to free up cash, or waiting for the blow my socks away offer before he would even consider selling].

If I had the cash to splash on mega keys I'm sure I would be over paying to acquire most if not all of the one's I wanted rather than wait 5 years and do it slowly.

I don't have examples, but I seem to remember a lot of 9.0 + copies of TOS 39 with above average eye appeal for the grade over the last few years, this may thin out the buying pool a little..... and you're right about 300K...... it's a respectable sale. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I'm surprised the 9.0 FF 1 is still sitting at 150K.....

$300K is still a strong sale.

Thank you Peter. Everyone is focusing on what a bath the seller took, but no one seems to be thinking that $300K is still too much money to pay for a TOS 39.

In my opinion someone over paid in 2012 because of the movies . The last movie was not a good movie in fact it was terrible movie so people are not over paying comics because of bad movies

It was also a fixed price sale with no comparables. The Pacific Coast copy (!) sold for over $100,000 less at auction within a few months. 375k was a lot to pay at the time.

We've never lived in a time where so much attention is given to every sale. I agree that the 9.6 price was likely overpriced.

You can't draw a conclusion of trend based on one sale or even two.

Top CGC sales for key Marvel books are few and far between. So we probably don't even have enough data when trying to determine trends across multiple books.

Here's a quick and dirty list over the past few years:

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

Two sales for AF15 in 9.6.

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No sale for the FF1 9.6 (trade/cash :frustrated:)

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

2 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

Rob,

Do you have a sales price on the 2nd sale of AF15 in 9.6? Obviously Metro/CC sold the first copy for the 1.1M figure. I was curious as what the 2nd sale was.

We've never lived in a time where so much attention is given to every sale. I agree that the 9.6 price was likely overpriced.

Top CGC sales for key Marvel books are few and far between. So we probably don't even have enough data when trying to determine trends across multiple books.

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

2 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

Rob,

Do you have a sales price on the 2nd sale of AF15 in 9.6? Obviously Metro/CC sold the first copy for the 1.1M figure. I was curious as what the 2nd sale was.

No, i don't. To be honest, the comments spread throughout this thread are about as detailed as discussion of that sale gets. I didn't even know that there was a 9.6 transaction until relatively recently. When I saw it on the registry I was thinking it could have been an upgrade or a freshly graded copy since there was no discussion of a 9.6 sale.

Unfortunately not all BIG sales are of public domain. I wish.

The Colorado Comics purchase of an AF15 9.6 wasn't public, neither was the first DD1 9.8 purchase that went direct to Brulato through a private sale. His 9.6 copy was auctioned off thereafter. I read comments about it but need to recall where (either Pedigree or ComicLink - which neither offer any searchable archive history). Although IIRC, it was in the item description and it was the first 9.6 sale.

ComicLink copy sold in 2012 for 375K, sold tonight for 300K. Ouch !

Maybe it's nothing more than a sign that reality is starting to set in on these not so scarce Marvel keys and buyers are now starting to base their price more on the book itself, as opposed to what is on the CGC label. hm

Also Hollywood movie hype isn`t as powerful as it was.

Don`t get me wrong it`s still there, but not at the mania of a few years back.

What are you basing this statement on?

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

2 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

Rob,

Anyone know the price? I seem to recall that it was much less than the previous sale but no one was saying what it was exactly.

neither was the first DD1 9.8 purchase that went direct to Brulato through a private sale. His 9.6 copy was auctioned off thereafter. I read comments about it but need to recall where (either Pedigree or ComicLink - which neither offer any searchable archive history). Although IIRC, it was in the item description and it was the first 9.6 sale.

Pretty sure Brulato's 9.6 sale went through Clink.

Pedigree and Heritage also had a copy ending the same month, and to make matters worse, the last copy to sell, the Heritage copy, was brown with off white pages, setting a GPA low.

3 x 9.6 copies, with the worst one selling last, coming to market really hurt that book for a long time.

neither was the first DD1 9.8 purchase that went direct to Brulato through a private sale. His 9.6 copy was auctioned off thereafter. I read comments about it but need to recall where (either Pedigree or ComicLink - which neither offer any searchable archive history). Although IIRC, it was in the item description and it was the first 9.6 sale.

Pedigree and Heritage also had a copy ending the same month, and to make matters worse, the last copy to sell, the Heritage copy, was brown with off white pages, setting a GPA low.

3 x 9.6 copies, with the worst one selling last, coming to market really hurt that book for a long time.

(thumbs u

30 years of collecting as taught me that if you buy the best of the best that a person will do very well in the long term

Now ascertaining what is the "best of the best" is a different topic entirely.

You forgot a very important factor:

30 years of collecting has taught me that if you buy the best of the best at a reasonable price that a person will do very well in the long term

Now ascertaining what is the "best of the best" and "at a reasonable price" is a different topic entirely.

Hi, I want to be clear here I was in no way saying the bottom was falling out due to one IM book taking a hit, I was just saying that we are at the moment at a very HIGH peak in our hobby.

Hardly gloom-and-doom from my perspective. When TOS 39s in 7.0-ish range start exhibiting a consistent and steady decline in price, then I would worry.

Yes, the overall trend and strength of the Iron Man books is definitely more accurately measured by the 99.999% of the other TOS 39 copies sold out there, as opposed to just one particular copy that may have been brought at an irrationally exuberant price by an over zealous buyer. (thumbs u

I'm not holding my breath that they'll stay that low, but since I'm in the market I'm hoping everything stays unnaturally low at the top end for DD1 for at least a little while longer. :wishluck:

30 years of collecting as taught me that if you buy the best of the best that a person will do very well in the long term

Now ascertaining what is the "best of the best" is a different topic entirely.

You forgot a very important factor:

30 years of collecting has taught me that if you buy the best of the best at a reasonable price that a person will do very well in the long term

Now ascertaining what is the "best of the best" and "at a reasonable price" is a different topic entirely.

Actually, I would disagree and say that if anything, history has taught us completely the opposite.

2 of the most highly criticized transactions I can remember are Anderson's purchase of the MH Action 1-20 run for $20K and the purchase of the WM AF 15 for $40K. They clearly satisfied the "best of the best" criteria but I challenge you to find anyone who said at the time that a "reasonable price" was paid. Most of the comments went the other way.

Similarly, prices paid for the MH collection when it was first brought to market by Chuck. Yeah, buyers paid up, but there was a lot of criticism of his outrageous pricing. Similarly, prices paid for the PC Marvels when Pacific Coast brought the books to market.

The same goes for virtually any "best of the best" book purchased in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. History has shown that literally any price paid back then, no matter how insane it might have been considered at the time, turned out to be a great purchase (unless the book turns out to have been restored).