• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

So, I've never had a book pressed by anyone other than CCS, and I've heard some negative things about their services, but It really hasn't bothered me too much until recently. I've really started to wonder if books (especially moderns) benefit at all from pressing. Yes, gold, silver, bronze books that are printed on the old paper can present better with a press, but even then, most of the condition issues with those books are color breaks or missing pieces, so is pressing worth the time or money? I'm finding this hard to answer because I think regardless of the pressing results, you're still at the mercy of the graders and their opinion. So does this make pressing irrelevant?

Just a question rattling around my head at 4am.

considering 99% of moderns are virtually worthless in less than 9.8 (based on the market), if ones intent is to sell a modern, then I guess a press to insure the book makes the grade is a good investment.

I collect mostly GA, a tiny amount of SA, and even tinier amounts of BA, CA, and moderns.

I prefer unpressed books and will pay more for a book if I don't think it's been pressed. Of course, I can't always tell.

Pressing apparently causes cover shrinkage in some cases. Some of the worst examples have been SA Marvels, but I've witnessed it with GA as well.

This thread is worth a read in its entirety:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7014308&fpart=1

One theory is that CCS increased temperature and/or humidity at some point in order to reduce cycle time in their process and that those changes exacerbated the cover shrinkage issue.

I just think it's sad that so many people are so obsessed with money that they feel the need to press every book they can lay their hands on.

I just think it's sad that so many people are so obsessed with money that they feel the need to press every book they can lay their hands on.

Some people need money. We can't all be well-off enough to pay all the bills, take care of the family and still drop $5k every week at Heritage.

As was referred to earlier, it depends on the book and what the personal preference of the owner is. I've had reasonable success pressing books. I just turned a couple of FF #27's from a 6.0 and an 8.5 to a 7.5 and a 9.2 respectively. On the other hand, a Tales of Suspense #49 that was a 7.0 that I thought was a shoe-in for an upgrade by pressing, came back a 7.0 again (gasp). I've never had a book come back with a worse grade after pressing. I have pressed books to resell and to keep for myself, some I've not even had graded and just put them back in my personal collection. I believe pressing has become so pervasive in the market, I just accept it and don't fret over it anymore.

Some people need money. We can't all be well-off enough to pay all the bills, take care of the family and still drop $5k every week at Heritage.

Why would someone drop $5k/week on comics if he/she is struggling to fulfill his/hers financial obligations? I don't see anything wrong with getting a regular paying job.

So, I've never had a book pressed by anyone other than CCS, and I've heard some negative things about their services, but It really hasn't bothered me too much until recently. I've really started to wonder if books (especially moderns) benefit at all from pressing. Yes, gold, silver, bronze books that are printed on the old paper can present better with a press, but even then, most of the condition issues with those books are color breaks or missing pieces, so is pressing worth the time or money? I'm finding this hard to answer because I think regardless of the pressing results, you're still at the mercy of the graders and their opinion. So does this make pressing irrelevant?

Pressing is not magic. It is a process that will remove some bends, indentations and non-color breaking creases. It does not fill in pieces. It does not put color where color has been lost. It will not add gloss. It will not turn a piece of bull***t into a piece of bullion.

It will not make you more attractive to the opposite sex. It will not build neuroreceptors to make you smarter. It will not teach you how to grade. It will not get you a subscription to GPA. It will not replace decades of grading comics. It will not simulate the smell of hundreds of pounds of pulp paper. It was never "Still only 25 cents!" It can't fit on a spinner rack. It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

It will not make you more attractive to the opposite sex. It will not build neuroreceptors to make you smarter. It will not teach you how to grade. It will not get you a subscription to GPA. It will not replace decades of grading comics. It will not simulate the smell of hundreds of pounds of pulp paper. It was never "Still only 25 cents!" It can't fit on a spinner rack. It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

Always wear sunscreen.

It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

For the record...I was actually 15 and she was 16.

lol

Heat and Moisture Application :cloud9:

It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

For the record...I was actually 15 and she was 16.

What? You and she were pressing comics at an early age?

Pressing is not magic. It is a process that will remove some bends, indentations and non-color breaking creases. It does not fill in pieces. It does not put color where color has been lost. It will not add gloss. It will not turn a piece of bull***t into a piece of bullion.

In the running for best post I've seen this year.