• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

To answer the question posed: as Buzzetta said, it depends on the book.

Almost every book can be improved by pressing. Almost every one, in some way or another. The question is..is it enough of an improvement to affect the numerical grade, which, as we all know, is really a range?

That's a question all (good) pressers must contend with.

I like this answer. Pressing books may seem silly to some, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. However, personally, I have all of my books pressed because if it comes back 9.4/9.6 and i look back and say, maybe pressing would have made this a 9.8. then ya, I take that chance. is it a waste of money? For me, no.

To answer the question posed: as Buzzetta said, it depends on the book.

Almost every book can be improved by pressing. Almost every one, in some way or another. The question is..is it enough of an improvement to affect the numerical grade, which, as we all know, is really a range?

That's a question all (good) pressers must contend with.

RMA, interesting stuff. I applaud your emphasis on gentle. If CGC stopped ignoring certain flaws introduced by pressing like staple tears, smeared ink stamps, shifts in the cover, etc. it would force the implementation of a more gentle touch by pressers.

so is pressing worth the time or money? I'm finding this hard to answer because I think regardless of the pressing results, you're still at the mercy of the graders and their opinion. So does this make pressing irrelevant?

I have all of my books pressed because if it comes back 9.4/9.6 and i look back and say, maybe pressing would have made this a 9.8. then ya, I take that chance. is it a waste of money? For me, no.

Sounds like you either changed your mind or you have an answer to your original question.

Based on my interactions on the boards, taking in what other members with experience has passed on to me, I have changed my position on pressing. Overall, quick "yes" or "no" I'd say no. Risking books is not worth time and money to me. Finding a high grade book, in an old label, that more than likely achieved that grade without a press is more more impressive in my eyes. Just my 2c

It may be lucrative, depending on the book. From a monetary viewpoint, pressing may be well worth it. Whether or not you believe it's restoration is the main sticking point. I do know quite a few people that feel if you don't do it, somebody else will. For some it's like leaving money on the table if you don't do it. They feel that you might as well do it instead of letting somebody else gain from it. It really depends on how you feel about pressing that determines whether or not it's worth it to you.

The value of a few of my books has dramatically increased by pressing them.

EDIT: I do not press my own books. I pay someone to press the few books I send out each year to be pressed.

Finding a high grade book, in an old label, that more than likely achieved that grade without a press is more more impressive in my eyes. Just my 2c

+1 It's also fun to search out books that have not been pressed, almost like a collecting genre like variants or something. It's so much more rewarding getting your desired grade without a press. Not only did you save time and money, your book has originality. Someday the marketplace will reward originality in books. :wishluck:

Finding a high grade book, in an old label, that more than likely achieved that grade without a press is more more impressive in my eyes. Just my 2c

+1 It's also fun to search out books that have not been pressed, almost like a collecting genre like variants or something. It's so much more rewarding getting your desired grade without a press. Not only did you save time and money, your book has originality. Someday the marketplace will reward originality in books. :wishluck:

110% agree.

110% agree.

Society does not reward originality so why should the comic book marketplace?

110% agree.

Society does not reward originality so why should the comic book marketplace?

I've always been one to buck societal pressures.

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

Through all of this the one thing I did notice was the Marvel chipping on top vanished. If it wasn't for that obvious date stamp I would have never known it was the same book. How does chipping vanish in a press?

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

Maybe it wasn't the same book.

Seriously...

You ever price something? If it is a repetitive motion you tend to place the stamp in the same exact place on the object as your muscle memory causes you to strike the same spot over and over.

Maybe it was the same date stamp from the same place but not the same exact book.

The only other option is that there is another trim job that neither CGC nor CBCS had spotted in order to get rid of the Marvel chipping. I am more inclined to believe that it was a book that was stamped by the same newstand back in the day. Pressing does not get rid of chipping. Only trimming the side would and for to think that two grading companies missed that is a bit more unrealistic in my opinion.

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

Through all of this the one thing I did notice was the Marvel chipping on top vanished. If it wasn't for that obvious date stamp I would have never known it was the same book. How does chipping vanish in a press?

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

Interesting.

Can you provide pics at each grade stage?

I'd like to see the vanishing Marvel chipping.