• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

I'm missing the CGC 8.0 one. I had the book in hand. The 7.0 was rough on the top and side.

FF1.jpg

vold.jpg

Do I need to scribble out the second ones grading company or are the mods going to realize this is a relevant conversation about pressing?

Thank you! (thumbs u

I think the chipping disappearance issue could be a lot of things: pressed out rough edge, resolution issues between scanners, etc.

You might want to delete their name from the image - pretty easy with paint and the rectangle tool.

I'm missing the CGC 8.0 one. I had the book in hand. The 7.0 was rough on the top and side.

FF1.jpg

lf2.jpg

Do I need to scribble out the second ones grading company or are the mods going to realize this is a relevant conversation about pressing?

Thank you! (thumbs u

I think the chipping disappearance issue could be a lot of things: pressed out rough edge, resolution issues between scanners, etc.

You might want to delete their name from the image - pretty easy with paint and the rectangle tool.

Done.... Sort of... , but really an 8.5? ouch

FF1.jpg

vold.jpg

Thank you! (thumbs u

Done.... Sort of... , but really and 8.5?

I can't tell from the pics, but it's definitely possible to get a grade jump that high by removing pressable defects. Add in the fact that grades are a range on any given day...etc.

I think a resub at 8.0 through CGC lends credence to the pressing up scenario, but that's just a guess on my part.

Those aren't "Marvel chips." It looks like the overflash was nicked over, and pressing flattened them back out.

Yup... I did not know the official terms but I didn't see any dramatic marvel chipping in the 7.0.

An 8.5?

I've gotten 7.0s to turn into 8.5s. Depends on the book, and what the problems are. I've gotten 8.5s to 9.6s, and 8.0s to 9.4s. All depends on the book.

Did you also get OW/Ws to press up to Whites? lol that is a gift grade. Take a look at the pics.

Heh, my thought was "a 7.0?". I'd have resubmitted that book to CGC "as is" for a regrade when it was in the 7.0 holder...I don't see how that still wasn't at least a 7.5 before hand.

I do see what you mean by the chips disappearing. I almost want to try to drop the image into AutoCAD or something to take measurements to figure out if something really disappeared or was added.

An 8.5?

I've gotten 7.0s to turn into 8.5s. Depends on the book, and what the problems are. I've gotten 8.5s to 9.6s, and 8.0s to 9.4s. All depends on the book.

Did you also get OW/Ws to press up to Whites? lol that is a gift grade. Take a look at the pics.

The answer to your question is "yes", and has nothing to do with pressing, but the inconsistency of determining page quality, which you already doubtless know.

As for "take a look at the pics"...1. Grading from a front cover scan is usually inaccurate, and 2. I already have looked at the pics, which led me to determine that the "chips" in the first pic aren't chips, but rather small folded down areas of the overflash. It's right up there, a few posts back.

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. - Ben Franklin

So? That sounds like one motivated mother to me!

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

When I see examples like this one here, a couple of questions come to my mind which would be good to get the thoughts of the other board members here:

1) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had been pressed to a 8.0 and now resubmitted for its current 8.5 grade?

2) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had sold for $17.5 before being pressed into 8.0 copy that had been resold for $39K?

In theory, I guess the $71K figure should hold since we have been told emphatically time and time again that the final grade is the only thing that matters. Hence, the rationale that there is no absolutely no need to disclose anything as even the pressers themselves along with all other rational bidders would be willing to pay for the final grade. This is irregardless of whether the book had been carefully preserve over its life to achieve this 8.5 grade or whether it had been artificially manipulated from a lower grade to achieve this final 8.5 grade.

Although the price of $71.5K should hold in theory based upon what we have been told constantly, will it actually hold with full disclosure in the real world comic book marketplace? hm

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. - Ben Franklin

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

lol