• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

Grass is always greener.

Yup. Single people wonder what a good relationship is like.

People who are in relationships wonder what a good single life is like.

Both are VERY tough to find and make work. I just need to remind myself how many times as a single guy out of 50+ weekends a year I'd come home alone. That helps keep things in perspective.

All I am going to say Roy is WW Philly and that elevator ride. haha

I remember that Kim Catralll look-a-like.

JJ

Grass is always greener.

Both are VERY tough to find and make work. I just need to remind myself how many times as a single guy out of 50+ weekends a year I'd come home alone. That helps keep things in perspective.

JJ

I can't believe she did that to me right in the elevator. ;)

Hey now!

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

When I see examples like this one here, a couple of questions come to my mind which would be good to get the thoughts of the other board members here:

1) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had been pressed to a 8.0 and now resubmitted for its current 8.5 grade?

2) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had sold for $17.5 before being pressed into 8.0 copy that had been resold for $39K?

In theory, I guess the $71K figure should hold since we have been told emphatically time and time again that the final grade is the only thing that matters. Hence, the rationale that there is no absolutely no need to disclose anything as even the pressers themselves along with all other rational bidders would be willing to pay for the final grade. This is irregardless of whether the book had been carefully preserve over its life to achieve this 8.5 grade or whether it had been artificially manipulated from a lower grade to achieve this final 8.5 grade.

Although the price of $71.5K should hold in theory based upon what we have been told constantly, will it actually hold with full disclosure in the real world comic book marketplace? hm

Personally I would feel slighted to a certain extent. I'm not a fan of pressing,so I guess I do have an agenda in my thinking. I'm still of the belief that pressing is a form of restoration,and a book that has been manipulated is less attractive to me than a book that has been preserved for 50 years in a high grade state.

A serious question here!

If I were to get a book pressed and throw it up for one of their Signature auctions at Heritage, would they disclose the fact that the book had been pressed if I specifically ask for this to be part of the item description?

Just wondering since I have never seen such an inclusion in a single one of their item descriptions to date and I am sure that some of the consignors must have asked for this inclusion. Would they simply refuse to do this since they are afraid it could possibly hurt the saleability and final price of the book in some way? (shrug)

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

When I see examples like this one here, a couple of questions come to my mind which would be good to get the thoughts of the other board members here:

1) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had been pressed to a 8.0 and now resubmitted for its current 8.5 grade?

2) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had sold for $17.5 before being pressed into 8.0 copy that had been resold for $39K?

In theory, I guess the $71K figure should hold since we have been told emphatically time and time again that the final grade is the only thing that matters. Hence, the rationale that there is no absolutely no need to disclose anything as even the pressers themselves along with all other rational bidders would be willing to pay for the final grade. This is irregardless of whether the book had been carefully preserve over its life to achieve this 8.5 grade or whether it had been artificially manipulated from a lower grade to achieve this final 8.5 grade.

Although the price of $71.5K should hold in theory based upon what we have been told constantly, will it actually hold with full disclosure in the real world comic book marketplace? hm

Personally I would feel slighted to a certain extent. I'm not a fan of pressing,so I guess I do have an agenda in my thinking. I'm still of the belief that pressing is a form of restoration,and a book that has been manipulated is less attractive to me than a book that has been preserved for 50 years in a high grade state.

A serious question here!

If I were to get a book pressed and throw it up for one of their Signature auctions at Heritage, would they disclose the fact that the book had been pressed if I specifically ask for this to be part of the item description?

Just wondering since I have never seen such an inclusion in a single one of their item descriptions to date and I am sure that some of the consignors must have asked for this inclusion. Would they simply refuse to do this since they are afraid it could possibly hurt the saleability and final price of the book in some way? (shrug)

Probably it's easiest for them to have a blanket "we don't say one way or the other" policy. Up to the buyer to judge, etc.

Even if a book is or isn't pressed. Once these change hands enough there are going to be those books that get lost in translation and become subject to question of pressing. I've bought a few books that the seller was not sure if they had been pressed. I'm actually leaning toward pressing truly being a form of restoration rather than .... Whatever it's considered now...

Grass is always greener.

JJ

Hey now!

I can. People's personal tastes drop after a few drinks. :baiting:

I've had two success stories with pressing but that has lead me to believe the book was graded in order to make it a pressing candidate. It works, worth it if you're selling, not worth it if you're just putting them back in the closet like I did.

Grass is always greener.

JJ

Hey now!

I can. People's personal tastes drop after a few drinks. :baiting:

I won't read any jrjr comic until after my 5th beer....

I've had two success stories with pressing but that has lead me to believe the book was graded in order to make it a pressing candidate. It works, worth it if you're selling, not worth it if you're just putting them back in the closet like I did.

What's that even mean?

What's that even mean?

Maybe they're saying "if you're just putting them back in the closet", you might as well wait and worry about adding flatness when you're ready to sell. Pressing doesn't repair any damage. The book goes back in the closet in the same 'state of preservation' it came out.

You know, 'point in time grading' rather than a 'state of preservation' assessment. Do the 'point in time' thing when time to sell, when it's worth doing.

That's an awfully cynical view of CGC graders and the grading process.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be pretty scandalous if CGC graders were purposely *downgrading* books that they thought had "pressable defects", to encourage pressing.

That suggestion has been made before, and maybe I'm being naïve, but...I'd prefer to think that Litch and Co. are grading a book simply on its merits, and aren't hammering "pressable defects" just to create the conditions that foster pressing.

Not sure why it would be cynical or scandalous? At one time it was both, but that debate is long past.

CGC sells "point in time" grading, based on everything they're seeing at that singular point. Professional pressers base their assessments on the attributes of paper and ink. That's how it all works, right? The loophole, the value-gap, how the system is played?

If pro graders took into account the attributes of what they're assessing, reflattening would be probably be more of a preference than the marketplace phenomenon it's become.

A serious question here!

I am sure that if you made your consignment to Heritage contingent on the request that they specifically have to mention pressing where applicable in the descriptions of your lots they would definitely honor it.

Next question...

What would happen if Heritage did honor your request and describe the book as pressed, and then the book sold for a record amount?

Next thing you know, every newbie collector out there would be clamoring for Heritage to add the golden phrase "This book has been pressed!" to their consignment listing. Folks would start consigning books to Heritage and saying they were pressed even if they weren't. Next thing you know, some super sleuth on a chat-board somewhere will determine that a book that was described as "pressed" in fact had never been pressed. A cacophony of indignation would ensue. Utter mayhem for the entire hobby.

Greg Reece states on almost every book on his site that it's been pressed, they still sell, hasn't slowed him down. All these "White Knights" think they are doing the comic community a favor by disclosing the book has been pressed or not, in reality, hardly anyone cares except for the odd ball buyer.

A serious question here!

I am sure that if you made your consignment to Heritage contingent on the request that they specifically have to mention pressing where applicable in the descriptions of your lots they would definitely honor it.

Next question...

What would happen if Heritage did honor your request and describe the book as pressed, and then the book sold for a record amount?

Next thing you know, every newbie collector out there would be clamoring for Heritage to add the golden phrase "This book has been pressed!" to their consignment listing. Folks would start consigning books to Heritage and saying they were pressed even if they weren't. Next thing you know, some super sleuth on a chat-board somewhere will determine that a book that was described as "pressed" in fact had never been pressed. A cacophony of indignation would ensue. Utter mayhem for the entire hobby.

God, I love you so much.

Dogs AND cats. Living together.

Why would you really care if its been pressed if you are keeping it in a slab anyway? Its not like you are opening it.

I care, and I would prefer not to have pressed books. I think it is still unclear as to whether or not pressing last forever, or if the book will eventually revert back to what it was before pressed. And, when I buy a new car, I would prefer any repaired defects would be mentioned. Leaving out that you just 'painted that fender because of a scratch' is not right. If you press, and believe that it does no harm, then disclose. Let the buyer decide. If you press and believe that it may not be on the up and up, then don't press.