• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

God, I love you so much.

We have nothing to loose.

Your right.

Six of one half, a dozen of the other.

Why would you really care if its been pressed if you are keeping it in a slab anyway? Its not like you are opening it.

I care, and I would prefer not to have pressed books. I think it is still unclear as to whether or not pressing last forever, or if the book will eventually revert back to what it was before pressed. And, when I buy a new car, I would prefer any repaired defects would be mentioned. Leaving out that you just 'painted that fender because of a scratch' is not right. If you press, and believe that it does no harm, then disclose. Let the buyer decide. If you press and believe that it may not be on the up and up, then don't press.

comparing repaint to pressing isn't accurate. It would be more like if you were checking engine the day after you bought it, and noticed one of the bolts was lose. So you tightened it. You're not sure why the bolt was so lose, so there's a chance it might get loose again, you're not sure. But right after you tightened it, it was as good as new. Nothing added, nothing taken away, just tightened a bit for safety and presentation.

Just disclose. If that is hard for you, then you must wonder yourself if it is not a good thing.

Disclosing pressing sometimes leads to confusion by people who have no idea what pressing is. For those who know, yes, disclosure is fine. But unnecessary confusion, not so much.

God, I love you so much.

We have nothing to loose.

Your right.

Six of one half, a dozen of the other.

Excuse me, while I kiss this guy.

I wanna rock and roll all night...

...and part of every day!

Just disclose. If that is hard for you, then you must wonder yourself if it is not a good thing.

Disclosing pressing sometimes leads to confusion by people who have no idea what pressing is. For those who know, yes, disclosure is fine. But unnecessary confusion, not so much.

Not a great argument for pressing is ok. People that don't understand it will be confused? Nice of the pressers to take that choice away from them- in case a potential buyer might not understand or like it, we just won't tell him. By the way, don't mention the color touch either, they just won't get it....

This has been beat to death, and I know I can't win an argument with RMA. Just do the fair thing and disclose.

Not a great argument for pressing is ok. People that don't understand it will be confused? Nice of the pressers to take that choice away from them- in case a potential buyer might not understand or like it, we just won't tell him. By the way, don't mention the color touch either, they just won't get it....

This has been beat to death, and I know I can't win an argument with RMA. Just do the fair thing and disclose.

Disclosure hasn't seemed to hurt my ebay sales, either raw or slabbed. They still sell for the going rate. Never had a question from a potential buyer like 'hey, what does professionally pressed mean?' either. You'd have to poll bigger volume, disclosing sellers, however, to gauge whether disclosure dampens price or not. I haven't seen it in my limited experience.

"Disclosure" has it's limits, however. I won't put in my listing what I thought the grade was pre-press. I've never done crack/press/re-sub either so I can't say whether I would say this used to be graded x but now it's graded y. (shrug)

And I'll add that I've never seen a seller say this is in an x graded slab but it's no longer that grade due to whatever reason. As we all know, there are slabs trading hands where the book as it sits in the holder is no longer in the grade that's displayed on the label.

And I'll add that I've never seen a seller say this is in an x graded slab but it's no longer that grade due to whatever reason. As we all know, there are slabs trading hands where the book as it sits in the holder is no longer in the grade that's displayed on the label.

There are quite a few times where it was never the grade displayed on the label :shy:

There are quite a few times where it was never the grade displayed on the label :shy:

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what either of you are saying. Other than some dishonest people pulling off some shenanigans, how can a comic change grades while encased?

seventy five percent(my opinion) of books have been pressed.If I press it I will tell you.If not its anybodys guess

Not a great argument for pressing is ok.

I'm not using it as an argument for why pressing is ok. I'm talking about disclosure, not the act itself. My clientele....mid-grade Silver, higher grade Bronze, 9.6-9.8 Copper and Modern...don't generally know what pressing is, and don't care.

I'm not advocating HIDING the information...obviously, I talk about it constantly on the board...but I'm not going to put "this book has been professionally pressed" in a listing for a Swamp Thing #47 9.8.

Too many "what does pressing mean"? questions.

People that don't understand it will be confused? Nice of the pressers to take that choice away from them- in case a potential buyer might not understand or like it, we just won't tell him. By the way, don't mention the color touch either, they just won't get it....

meh

Color touch has nothing whatsoever to do with pressing.

Or, if you're concerned, ask. I won't lie about it. If anyone asks, I'll tell them, straight up, that it's been pressed. No fuss, no muss.

As far as can't win an argument goes...chicken.

;)

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what either of you are saying. Other than some dishonest people pulling off some shenanigans, how can a comic change grades while encased?

Damage in the case, overgraded books.

Disclosure hasn't seemed to hurt my ebay sales, either raw or slabbed. They still sell for the going rate. Never had a question from a potential buyer like 'hey, what does professionally pressed mean?' either. You'd have to poll bigger volume, disclosing sellers, however, to gauge whether disclosure dampens price or not. I haven't seen it in my limited experience.

"Disclosure" has it's limits, however. I won't put in my listing what I thought the grade was pre-press. I've never done crack/press/re-sub either so I can't say whether I would say this used to be graded x but now it's graded y. (shrug)

All your books were 4.5s pre-press. Now they're 9.8s!

:D

Damage in the case, overgraded books.

Bingo.

I'm not selling and like I mentioned the books go back into the closet. But the two I pressed were pressed because I felt they deserved a better grade and my wish was granted.

I got them pressed through the CGC service, not sure if that's around anymore. For me it was odd that CGC offered that service.

I'm not selling and like I mentioned the books go back into the closet. But the two I pressed were pressed because I felt they deserved a better grade and my wish was granted.

I got them pressed through the CGC service, not sure if that's around anymore. For me it was odd that CGC offered that service.

Well, technically it's not CGC offering the service, so, you know, making it a little less odd. Grading service, grade altering service, just marketing partners for your convenience.

Sure note the same company but work at the same table at conventions and can be contacted through the same site. So for me, odd. Purely my view point. Never had an issue with CGC or CCS. Actually enjoy the service.

Well, I don't go out of my way to disclose whether a book is pressed or not, mostly because I don't remember to add it to the sales description. But, if asked I have no problem telling them. Personally, if it's a book in say, 9.4 that I'm going to crack for a sig then resub, I'd like to know if it was pressed before purchasing so I know there may be a slight chance it could grade higher.

And no, color touch is not the same. But like I said before. I find it hard to not see pressing as a form of restoration and if a book goes from CCS to CGC that info should be made available either in the notes or heaven forbid, on the slab.