• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

This is my favorite back cover, from Ivan Brunetti's Schizo #3. I censored most of the bad words so no one gets mad at me...

I notice you didn't censor the pictures, though... blush.gif

I love his work. He used to have a strip called Misery Loves Comedy which was very dark and ran in the University of Chicago newspaper. I have the first collection of those strips at home somewhere cool.gif

This is my favorite back cover, from Ivan Brunetti's Schizo #3. I censored most of the bad words so no one gets mad at me...

I love his work. He used to have a strip called Misery Loves Comedy which was very dark and ran in the University of Chicago newspaper. I have the first collection of those strips at home somewhere cool.gif

I figured they would be cartooney enough to pass the censors... Hope no one gets mad! tongue.gif

Here are a couple of my favorites that may not be as common as most of my UGs, and are quite befitting of the title of the thread.

This one is an all-Moscoso mini-issue, and in the typical Moscoso fashion, has a slew of bizarre and outrageously-colored "creatures" moving, melting, flowing, transposing, and in some cases having sex: blush.gif

color.jpg

This one is an oversized issue (wouldn't all fit on my scanner, so the right edge is cropped) all by Rick Griffin, and in the typical Griffin fashion, has a slew of bizarre and incredibly detailed creatures, along with lots of imagery from religion and biology. As mind-blowing a comic as you'll ever see:

utopia.jpg

I figured they would be cartooney enough to pass the censors... Hope no one gets mad! tongue.gif

Fantagraphics is supposed to put out Schizo #4 this spring - there was a great interview with Ivan Brunetti in a recent Comics Journal

Nice copy ArAich. The story is that Pete Millar overprinted both issues he put out of Wonder Warthog by something like 100,000 copies and lost his shirt on the whole deal. A few years ago when he revived Drag Cartoons, he was still selling them in an ad - for something like $75 apiece.

Here is an early Wonder Warthog cover from 1964. Charlatan, an unafilliated college humor magazine published out of Tallahasse Florida, reprinted the Wonder Warthog stories from the {i]Texas Ranger[/i] magazine, but the cover art was new, though probably not by Shelton. Bill Black mentions doing Wonder Warthog covers for Charlatan in his bio, but he's not listed as a contributor and I don't know that WW appeared on the cover of any other issue. I'm not sure which issue this is as the publisher didn't see fit to number or date this issue. I think Charlatan lasted about a dozen issues in the mid-sixties, someone else might know more (Comicwiz?).

737194-charlatan.jpg

737194-charlatan.jpg.a7f94d7003b4f932eb411ef91bc27b94.jpg

Awesome thread rjpb thumbsup2.gif

As much as I'd like to contribute to this thread more, I'm super swamped with project commitments; I wrote an article for the GPA newsletter in Sept that includes a timeline of UG history to further add to your wonderful synopsis: