• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Great book - Robert Williams at his best - it's a shame he doesn't do comic books anymore - I prefer his pen and ink strips to his paintings - cool as they are. Underground or overground Williams' draftsmanship puts most other comic artists to shame.

You must admit, his art is hot now. Check this out

http://www.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=620&Lot_No=23629

This Williams piece has an estimate of 3 to 5K and the biddings already up to $9,500!!

There's another Williams piece in this auction also.

Well if you love Williams Ug stuff make sure you have a copy of "Hysteria in Remission" from Fantagraphics. It collects of of his underground work in one large volume, very cool!

juggle.gif

BUMP due to my 1st scanner acclaim.gif

Heard this book desc. something like "Deep sh*t disguised as toilet humor"

This is the highest graded to date (other 9.8 is a PLOD) cloud9.gif

yourhytone.jpg

Wonder Wart-hog, Battle of the Titans

wwhog_titans_file.jpg

Back cover w/COA (Fred Todd File Copy)

wwhog_titans_file_coa.jpg

Another Crumb cvr... Print Mint File Copy (Schenker)

zap8_filecopy.jpg

Ahhh THE PEOPLE'S COMICS... a comic for the masses

**1st HARVEY PEKAR in comics (back cvr), which precedes American Splendor by 3+ years (based on Kennedy)

**Death of FRITZ THE CAT, stabbed in the back of the head w/ an icepick on the inside back cover.

If you don't have it... you probably should... it's a SLEEPER.

PS. I had a GREAT FRIDAY evening... got 23 Undergrounds back from PGX (rangin' 9.0 to 9.8) and a huge box (15 lbs) of UGs from APEX NOVELTIES- JOY!

PS. I had a GREAT FRIDAY evening... got 23 Undergrounds back from PGX (rangin' 9.0 to 9.8) and a huge box (15 lbs) of UGs from APEX NOVELTIES- JOY!

Get scanning - what were the 9.8's thumbsup2.gif?

Fandango,

Great pickups! Mr A was published with a 50 cent price but shortly after they raised the price to 75 cents. Most of the Mr A's that you find have a 75 cent sticker on them. So hang on to that baby! I think it's a sleeper and pivitol in the career of Steve Ditko after leaving Spiderman. It also shows how the Underground comic movement inspired conventional comic artists to "break the shackles" of their restricted artistic expression. You may argue for or against the Ayn Rand philosophy of Mr A but it was a subject close to Ditko's heart.

I's like to reply to my own post on the Williams Auctions

You must admit, his art is hot now. Check this out

http://www.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=620&Lot_No=23629

(link obsolete)

This Williams piece has an estimate of 3 to 5K and the biddings already up to $9,500!!

There's another Williams piece in this auction also.

I think there may have been some bogus bidding on these items. Both pieces were bid up to one notch below reserve. I know because both pieces didn't sell and ended up on the after auction "Buy Now" at the price just above the ending bid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fandango,

Great pickups! Mr A was published with a 50 cent price but shortly after they raised the price to 75 cents. Most of the Mr A's that you find have a 75 cent sticker on them. So hang on to that baby! I think it's a sleeper and pivitol in the career of Steve Ditko after leaving Spiderman. It also shows how the Underground comic movement inspired conventional comic artists to "break the shackles" of their restricted artistic expression. You may argue for or against the Ayn Rand philosophy of Mr A but it was a subject close to Ditko's heart.

Good to know - thanks for the info thumbsup2.gif

Nice pickups - thanks for keeping the thread alive thumbsup2.gif

I really should get off my butt and post more UGs myself

Would love to see them rjpb - it was your post that prompted my search for a copy of Mr A cloud9.gif

The only 9.8 was WET SATIN #1: WOMEN's EROTIC FANTASIES (1st) - which is a blessing given the black cover... Had a few more 9.6's though (Freak Bros. #5, Natch #3, Zap Comix #7 and possibly another)... Evidently Kitchen Sink's go-to Wisconsin printer (who did Bizarre Sex Comics and others) refused to print this little piece of erotica because it is entirely by women... 27_laughing.gif

ANYWAY... I will get crackin' w/ the scanner...

The only 9.8 was WET SATIN #1: WOMEN's EROTIC FANTASIES (1st) - which is a blessing given the black cover... Had a few more 9.6's though (Freak Bros. #5, Natch #3, Zap Comix #7 and possibly another)... Evidently Kitchen Sink's go-to Wisconsin printer (who did Bizarre Sex Comics and others) refused to print this little piece of erotica because it is entirely by women... 27_laughing.gif

ANYWAY... I will get crackin' w/ the scanner...

Way to go Justin! thumbsup2.gif

Those are some killer books. Its remotely worth mentioning to the others reading this thread about your Zap 6... gossip.gif

Its remotely worth mentioning to the others reading this thread about your Zap 6... gossip.gif

you're right... BUT FIRST... SCANS! Whoop Whoop acclaim.gif

Bought this from APEX as VG... 893whatthe.gif Thanks Don!!

zap4_1st.jpg

BLAM!

wet.jpg

A little something-something for all the Williams fans in the house

tuff.jpg

Projunior...can't remember if we've seen this one yet...

projunior.jpg

Mom's Homemade #1 (2nd; 50c)...

moms_2.jpg

Mom's Homemade #1 (1st; 49c)...which we have seen, but some little trouble-maker wrote on mine (dare I say SNOW WHITE PGS) cloud9.gif

moms_1.jpg

Great pick ups Justin. Let me mention some of mine. I just won an original art piece of S. Clay Wilson on Heritage.It's a self portrait, circa 1961

823275-w.jpg

If you want to check it out it's on the Heritage website. May Comic Auction #816 lot 2602

My latest ebay purchases with their JK numbers:

Quagmire 1637

Die Gretchen 593

Kosher Comics 1123 (early - 1966)

Odd Bodkins Dan Oneill 1965 (More a booklet than a comic - not in JK guide)

City Limits 459

Corruption Comics 539

Cover Up Low Down 552

Computer Comics (not in JK - 1984)

As they say, there's a fine line between collecting, and obsession, and madness. makepoint.gif

823275-w.jpg.de1344e2ccc9e72dcab93a67fa65e7f5.jpg