• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Nice pick-up Rhino. I've seen dealers asking $40 and up for copies like that (not sure if they actually sell for that much though). Those two and a third volume "Fritz Bugs Out" I think, were collected in the early 70s as a normal sized trade called "R. Crumb's Fritz the Cat". I'm not sure which volumes came first.

Thanks, and thanks for the info. There is a date in one (on the first panel of the book) that says c 1965 and the other says c 1969. I am assuming these are collected reprints and those are the dates of the originals but don't know what year they were published in these Ballentine books. Maybe ComicWiz knows?

Nice pick-up Rhino. I've seen dealers asking $40 and up for copies like that (not sure if they actually sell for that much though). Those two and a third volume "Fritz Bugs Out" I think, were collected in the early 70s as a normal sized trade called "R. Crumb's Fritz the Cat". I'm not sure which volumes came first.

They were serialized in Cavalier, a Playboy type magazine in the late 60s. I think the 1965 copyright is when Crumb did the first strip, but it wasn't published until later. I'm chagrined to say, that my knowledge of Fritz history is spottier than I'd like.

Picked these Fritz TPBs from my LCS, they were afraid to put them out on the shelves because their clientele is mostly younger and super-hero oriented. I found them in a box under a table. Don't know much about them, but they're great! They are an odd size, as they are short height-wise but normal widthy, so they reprint a strip on each page. Each has a small tape pull in the upper right corner, where what appears to have been a price sticker was removed.

Published by Ballentine Books, but I didn't see an indicia to know what date they were published or any indication of a printing.

1420747-Fritzbooks.jpg

I'm at work, and I'm not sure what order these books were printed, but I do know they also appeared as "3 Big Stories" in the oversized (treasury format) "Fritz the Cat." I believe that the oversized edition was published first, and then the 3 individual TPB's. I personally like the individual TPB's, but they are fairly tough to find in high-grade.

1422038-fug045.jpg

Anyway, as I seem to recall, the Ballentine info on copyright is kind of straightforward (as rjpb mentions, these were drawn much earlier than from time they were reprinted by Ballentine), and if you're intent on finding out, probably the best source would be the Kennedy guide. I don't recall making any additional notes on these books, so its likely the dates are fairly common knowledge, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

1422038-fug045.jpg.940edc5631f09fa9220db29817003b5a.jpg

I know that Funny Aminals has been posted already, but I wanted to remind everyone of its historic importance. The book contains the first publication of any of Spiegelman's Maus, with 3 pages of the serial published in 1972.

P.S.: Maus is an absolute masterpiece that should be read by all adults and young adults alike.

FunnyAminals.jpg

I believe that the oversized edition was published first, and then the 3 individual TPB's.

CORRECTAMUNDO. . .The oversized edition was published first, in 1969 ($2.95 cover; softcover). The smaller TPBs were published in 1972. But they are all extremely cool and all fetch some cash...

Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? 2006

R. Crumb's FRITZ THE CAT (oversized softcover, 2.95 cvr)

g/fn/nm $30/90/150

(all 3 Ballatine 1972)

FRITZ the No Good

FRITZ Bugs Out

Secret Agent for the CIA

$5/15/25 (but they definitely can garner a little more)

Glad to see that UGs still get a little love over here! Cheers, JUSTIN (aka oldmilwaukee6er on the UG Boards over at ComicsPriceGuide)

I believe that the oversized edition was published first, and then the 3 individual TPB's.

CORRECTAMUNDO. . .The oversized edition was published first, in 1969 ($2.95 cover; softcover). The smaller TPBs were published in 1972. But they are all extremely cool and all fetch some cash...

g/fn/nm $30/90/150

(all 3 Ballatine 1972)

FRITZ the No Good

FRITZ Bugs Out

Secret Agent for the CIA

Glad to see that UGs still get a little love over here! Cheers, JUSTIN (aka oldmilwaukee6er on the UG Boards over at ComicsPriceGuide)

Yours is the most logical explanation, especially because the rear cover of the oversized edition is split into a three cell layout containing all three of the TPB covers on it, which would lead one to believe the oversized treasury came later.

For some reason though, I was having a tough time jogging my memory on which came first when this was posted, and got stuck on the idea it was the oversized.

Either way, they are both extremely cool (oversized edition, and the 3 TPB's).

Thanks for the clarification Justin thumbsup2.gif

THANKS!!!

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

g/fn/nm $30/90/150

(all 3 Ballatine 1972)

FRITZ the No Good

FRITZ Bugs Out

Secret Agent for the CIA

How did I miss this tread?

You mention that you think this isn't a valuable comic? I have the 2nd print of this and which is $45 in 9.4. 1st print is $50 in 9.4, that's not bad ??? I'm going to get mine slabbed...

comicwiz, I'd like to post another example of a restored comic that came from Apex Novelties. I bought this from the Apex catalogue. You may ask why I slabbed a not very valuable comic? Well, it's because Williams is my favorite UG artist and I wanted a NM first print slabbed. I ended up spending $25 bucks to make a not very valuable comic less valuable.

Label sez "Restoration includes: very small amount of color touch on cover." Even with this tip I cannot find it. (Image altered by me to keep it PG.)

797763-ccmo.jpg

drbenway25

First off, welcome to the boards and thanks for sharing in this tribute thread thumbsup2.gif

Its disconcerting to hear that this problem has occured more than once already (or at least that this has happened twice that I've heard about). Specifically because they are coming from a backstock which I have been recommending for several years to underground collectors. Before taking an alarmist stance, I'd like get the lowdown from Don and ask him about these two occurences (yours and EggsAckley). For the most part, one of the main reasons why I switched my focus to collecting undergrounds was because they tend to be removed from the pitfalls found with mainstream books -- namely the tendency for sellers to pass off restored books as unrestored.

And I don't mean to sound like an opportunist, but if you are entertaining the idea of dumping that copy, I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

Here are some mid-grade KEYS I have nabbed from online booksellers over the last two weeks. I call this my Heritage-esque haul (as I was shut out of the lovely UGs in Sale 822)... ENJOY...

FFFB #2 1st, IFC green to dark blue...

fffb21.jpg

fffb2002.jpg

Bijou #2 1st, yellow stripes on flag...

bijou2.jpg

Motor City #1 1st, no logos/copyright, Print Mint address on back cvr

motorcity1.jpg

Bijou #1 1st, overlap edition...

BijouFunnies.jpg

bijou1.jpg

Zap #0 1st... cloud9.gif Dare I say $37 shipped for this book?

myzap0.jpg

myzap0-bck.jpg

Got my second copy of Particle Dreams #1 yesterday (didn't think it was an UG?), along with Anomaly #4, Cherry Poptart #1 (some stains on the cover though, ew), Zap #11, Herold Hedd #2, Black Kiss #2, 10, 12, some fanzine called Fever Pitch #6 (from 1985 that has a non-TMNT Kevin Eastman piece in it) and a Fantogor #3 (nice condition). Still waiting for my Fantagor #1 (2nd), 4 (then I only need #2), Zap #0. Also ordered the limited to 500 issue of Fogel's, just starting to get into the UG thing...