• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

Got my second copy of Particle Dreams #1 yesterday (didn't think it was an UG?),

Debatably. The seller called all the books I bought undergrounds. Particle Dreams isn't in Overstreet, for what that's worth. Independent is at least as good a description.

along with Anomaly #4, Cherry Poptart #1 (some stains on the cover though, ew),

Hair gel? Could be a BIG ew!!

Zap #11, Herold Hedd #2, Black Kiss #2, 10, 12, some fanzine called Fever Pitch #6 (from 1985 that has a non-TMNT Kevin Eastman piece in it) and a Fantogor #3 (nice condition). Still waiting for my Fantagor #1 (2nd), 4 (then I only need #2), Zap #0. Also ordered the limited to 500 issue of Fogel's, just starting to get into the UG thing...

Great list!

I should pick up Fogel's guide -- I didn't know it had such a limited print run. I don't have Kennedy's old guide either.

Jack

Lookie, lookie what arrived in the mail today in just a Manilla envelope...

1551234-Zap0.jpg

Not in very good condition, rusty staples, cover detached from upper staple, tanning pages... But it's a 2nd Print (version B) for $15.53!!!

You might want to check out the centerfold for seeds and stems on that copy.

Just got a book yesterday that I'm very happy with about the history of UG Comix. If you want to learn more about them then I suggest you pick up Comix the Underground Revolution. You can pick it up for cheap on Amazon (private sellers area are about $10 with shipping for this $25 book) and it's big and plenty informative.

enjoyed that book as well. i really liked the section on British UGs in SKINN's COMIX. another good book, and one that was really a watershed moment for me, is ESTREN's HISTORY OF UNDERGROUNG COMIX... it has all sorts of good comix in it as well. a very enjoyable read that i keep coming back to.

i am definitely going to send in the ZAP #0 above to be certified. in theory it's a solid 8.0 w/ +-0.5.

Sorry for not posting earlier, I've been too busy reading Destro's "The Sky Is Falling" posts. Who do we think he really is?

Anyway, here we go.

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers 1, first printing. Not the highest grade, but VERY tough to find the first printing. I got into a nasty bidding war with a guy and LOST, and then another one popped up. Probably because the first one went for such a high price. I also have a "pink pages" edition, which looks the same as this, but has pink interior pages.

freakbrothers1.jpg

Hope you didn't pay too much money for this copy and don't know if anyone already caught this from such a long time ago, but this isn't a 1st print (or even a 2nd or 3rd, but I susprect because of all the green a 5th print).

Here's a 1st printing, "Printed by Charles Plymell." It's not the nicest copy, but I'll bet a lot of these were passed around from stoner to stoner, who didn't care about "mint" condition, and I'll bet some copies ended up as a desperate substitute for rolling papers. I'm glad this one didn't get smoked.

Zap11stprinting.jpg

Here's a 1st printing, "Printed by Charles Plymell." It's not the nicest copy, but I'll bet a lot of these were passed around from stoner to stoner, who didn't care about "mint" condition, and I'll bet some copies ended up as a desperate substitute for rolling papers. I'm glad this one didn't get smoked.

Zap11stprinting.jpg

Take a DEEEP whiff of the centerfold.

Jack

Lay back and groove

Here's another 1st printing.

FreakBrothers11stprinting.jpg

So the tire in the background is a different color from the one posted by 50 Cent. Which is the first printing, and how the heck does anybody know for sure about this? (shrug)

Reread my post above, you will notice I point out it's probably a 5th print.

Nice find on the FB #1 (1st print "A"). I know a shop that have a decent copy of a "B" in stock that I am contemplating picking up.

But I've discovered that there was a printing in between the known 3rd and 4th print (per UGComix.info). It appears to be a 3rd print, but the size, staple placement and cover color is different (it's got a very green tint to it), but has the white tire and purple 50 cent cover price on the front, as well as the blue on the flag on the back.

Here's another 1st printing.

FreakBrothers11stprinting.jpg

So the tire in the background is a different color from the one posted by 50 Cent. Which is the first printing, and how the heck does anybody know for sure about this? (shrug)

According to my copy of Jay Kennedy's UG price guide, my issue meets all the points he describes for a 1st printing (purple price, grey tire, orange area next to "America", a bunch of other things), so I've always figured it was, unless some new information has come to light.