• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

I still don't get what you're trying to say.

It's NOT almost 3X?

It's 2.5X it's budget.

It's ALMOST 3X.

What is the criteria for 'almost'?

To further explain my use of the word is the way I've used it in the sentence with 'in a little over 3 WEEKS', is to infer that it WILL get to 3X it's budget.

It's 2.5X there now, it's ALMOST there.

(shrug)

There are many dollars ahead ($63,664,000) before this movie is 3X of budget. There is no ALMOST with those numbers. Once the box offices in China and Japan start pouring in, then this movie is going to even exceed that 3X number.

Thor Dark World did $55MIL in just China, and almost 10MIL in Japan. There's a possible $65MIL right there from two countries alone.

Ant-Man is almost sure to run another month and a half here in the states. That's another $10MIL at least there as it just came off an +$8MIL weekend.

It's almost there. It's going to make it.

I know it hurts, but this movie is a success for Marvel Studios, while the FF is looking like, no hyperbole needed, one of the biggest bombs in superhero movie history.

You can nitpick adverbs all you want - it is what it is.

I'm still kinda surprised at this... I really did think it wasn't THAT bad a movie.

The denouement at the end is terrible granted, but the first 2 thirds are really perfectly watchable.

i think the point is, people (inc critics) are gong into this thinking its going to be a MCU FF film, and yes when that's taken into consideration, I can see they'd be a lot of disappointment.

It's NOT almost 3X?

It's 2.5X it's budget.

It's ALMOST 3X.

To further explain my use of the word is the way I've used it in the sentence with 'in a little over 3 WEEKS', is to infer that it WILL get to 3X it's budget.

(shrug)

There are many dollars ahead ($63,664,000) before this movie is 3X of budget. There is no ALMOST with those numbers. Once the box offices in China and Japan start pouring in, then this movie is going to even exceed that 3X number.

Thor Dark World did $55MIL in just China, and almost 10MIL in Japan. There's a possible $65MIL right there from two countries alone.

Ant-Man is almost sure to run another month and a half here in the states. That's another $10MIL at least there as it just came off an +$8MIL weekend.

I know it hurts, but this movie is a success for Marvel Studios, while the FF is looking like, no hyperbole needed, one of the biggest bombs in superhero movie history.

Doesn't hurt me any. I didn't make the movies.

I'm just applying your logic where if someone posts something that is not correct, it needs to be pointed out. In this case, you are MASSIVELY overstating what Ant-Man has done so far. It will achieve that number. I have no doubt about that. But that's future-state - not current-state.

I'm still kinda surprised at this... I really did think it wasn't THAT bad a movie.

The denouement at the end is terrible granted, but the first 2 thirds are really perfectly watchable.

i think the point is, people (inc critics) are gong into this thinking its going to be a MCU FF film, and yes when that's taken into consideration, I can see they'd be a lot of disappointment.

I can understand John Q movie goer, but how can film critics people who are supposedly film experts not know the basics of the fox/disney feud?

It`s just my observation of what will happen.

But it won't happen. (shrug)

You've made threads about 3 (that I can remember) bold predictions that have not happened.

Marvel is not going to stop it's 5 year plan for future movies because Fox bombed a movie. And when those Marvel movies come out, short of the world crashing, they are going to make profits. And after those profits they are going to continue to make movies and money.

Even if movies only make several $10's of millions rather than a billion, they are still going to make movies.

But I'm betting that they are going to make another billion dollar movie or two. If not several.

I guess we'll see.

Why isn't this discussion in the original FF movie thread?

This thread is a spinoff thread due to the huge success of the original. ComicCoinnesseur made a deal with Bosco, who sold him the rights to spinoff threads (Bosco retains merchandising rights :grin:)

Depending on the success of this thread, expect an Ant-Man/Fantastic Four thread crossover in the next few days.

:devil:

Ant-Man

Production Budget: $130 million

Worldwide Gross: $326,336,000 almost 3X it's budget in a little over 3 WEEKS. It hasn't even been playing a MONTH.

Lower than expected box office results?

Puh-leeze. They're happy as can be with these two movies. Ant-Man grossed almost as much on it's first night as FF did it's first weekend.

Thank God you put in the word 'almost'. For a second there I thought you were going to be wrong.

Ant-Man

Worldwide Gross: $326,336,000 almost 3X it's budget in a little over 3 WEEKS. It hasn't even been playing a MONTH.

Puh-leeze. They're happy as can be with these two movies. Ant-Man grossed almost as much on it's first night as FF did it's first weekend.

Thank God you put in the word 'almost'. For a second there I thought you were going to be wrong.

I'm sure you would take notice if someone wanted to 'almost' offer you a certain price on a book.

'Hey Roy, would you almost take $1,000 for that book?'

'You bet!'

'Okay, here's $500.'

:ohnoez:

Again...you are talking about the 3rd highest grossing film of all time.

That is just crazy when you think about it.

And they are building another massive movie theater down the street from us, in a small town that already has several. Movie profits are just going to continue to rise.

perspective

:cloud9:

Ant-Man

I'm sure you would take notice if someone wanted to 'almost' offer you a certain price on a book.

'Hey Roy, would you almost take $1,000 for that book?'

'You bet!'

'Okay, here's $500.'

:ohnoez:

Actually, it would be more like if someone said this book 'will sell' for almost X amount and then everyone waited to see if it did.

Ant-Man will most likely break $300 MIL. It's almost there.

Actually, it would be more like if someone said this book 'will sell' for almost X amount and then everyone waited to see if it did.

Ant-Man will most likely break $300 MIL. It's almost there.

It will. When it adds that extra $64 MM other areas will bring (China, Japan). That's the beauty of having all those box office details is researching and forecasting when a movie actually hits a revenue target.

Ant-Man is not there yet. It will be.

Why isn't this discussion in the original FF movie thread?

This thread is a spinoff thread due to the huge success of the original. ComicCoinnesseur made a deal with Bosco, who sold him the rights to spinoff threads (Bosco retains merchandising rights :grin:)

Depending on the success of this thread, expect an Ant-Man/Fantastic Four thread crossover in the next few days.

:devil:

lol

The merchandising rights alone were well worth it.

What really gets me is after all the respect we comic geeks finally have gotten after all these years that a movie comes along like this, and thrashes our reputation!

It`s really bad folks.

If you thought Green Lantern or Batman and Robin was bad, than you haven`t seen nothing bad,until you experienced this FF reboot.

Also I believe it`s not Fox`s fault.

I believe it is Trank who is to blame.

At least Fox gave us the widely critical acclaimed Planet of the Apes reboot, and for the most part enjoyable X-Men movies.

I blame this FF abomination on Trank.

There is a reason he got fired off the Star Wars movie.

It's NOT almost 3X?

It's 2.5X it's budget.

It's ALMOST 3X.

(shrug)

Doesn't hurt me any. I didn't make the movies.

I'm just applying your logic where if someone posts something that is not correct, it needs to be pointed out. In this case, you are MASSIVELY overstating what Ant-Man has done so far.

That's opinion, not fact.

If you're going to troll me just for the sake of it, at least make it a worthy debate.

It will achieve that number. I have no doubt about that. But that's future-state - not current-state.

That's right, Marvel sure knows how to make them!

What really gets me is after all the respect we comic geeks finally have gotten after all these years that a movie comes along like this, and thrashes our reputation!

It`s really bad folks.

If you thought Green Lantern or Batman and Robin was bad, than you haven`t seen nothing bad,until you experienced this FF reboot.

At least Fox gave us the widely critical acclaimed Planet of the Apes reboot, and for the most part enjoyable X-Men movies.

I don't think that's fair to say, given that both sides' culpabilities are built on hearsay and there seems to definitely be culpability on both sides. :shrug: Maybe it's MOSTLY Trank's fault, but Fox still stirred the pot.

What really gets me is after all the respect we comic geeks finally have gotten after all these years

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Slow down there Tex lol The only respect geeks have gotten is as a newly designated market demographic. Our purchasing power has gotten us noticed.

that a movie comes along like this, and thrashes our reputation!

Nah, I don't think many people see it all that much different. People still say, "That was pretty good, for SUPERHERO movie", and in most every instance... they're right. We still don't have a great superhero FILM.

It`s really bad folks.

I'll take your word for that. I've decided not to even sneak in to see it.

Yeah, I don't believe his whole thought process that this movie would've been some kind of masterpiece if he'd been left on his own, but I think both sides share some fault in it all.