• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

Seriously though, how long do you think the theatrical run will now be? Also, do they try and make multiple versions of the Blu Ray available to recoup sales? Would a director's cut have helped?

As an older relative used to say, it does not matter what you do to shine a steaming pile of mess, it is still mess. lol

You can post what you like but then you also have to be prepared for the occasional eye roll if you're going to walk out on a limb or attempt to break new ground. Not everyone is going to buy into it.

Without a doubt.

We seen signs already with Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man with lower than expected box office results.

Here it comes...

:eyeroll:

Avengers:

Age of Ultron

Production Budget: $250 million

Worldwide Gross: $1,398,442,727 or just UNDER 1.4 BILLION over 5X it's budget. It's the 6TH highest grossing movie of all time!!

Ant-Man

Production Budget: $130 million

Worldwide Gross: $326,336,000 almost 3X it's budget in a little over 3 WEEKS. It hasn't even been playing a MONTH.

Lower than expected box office results?

Puh-leeze. They're happy as can be with these two movies. Ant-Man grossed almost as much on it's first night as FF did it's first weekend.

IM 3 made boat loads of cash and it is still a bad film. I think the point is non-comic book people (masses) could start loosing interest if studios keep making poor quality movies.

Actually I don`t care about your bindery defect episode,but I don`t like it when

someone constantly

keeps bringing up that I liked ASM 2 or how I thought

one of the Nolan Batman movies should have gotten an Oscar for something.

There is plenty of ridiculous stuff you said in your over 70,000 posts that seemed out of whack, but do I bring up?

No. I let it pass because I figure it`s your opinion.

Just like my opinion is I liked

ASM 2 or thought one of Nolan Batman`s movies deserved an Oscar.

I believe this Fantastic Four movie will be known as the key point when we look back years from now when the comic book movie bubble popped.

We seen signs already with Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man with lower than expected box office results.

Of course you don`t want to hear anything bad about comic book movie bubbles popping because you are a comic book dealer.

:preach:

Why do people keep using these two movies as examples for comic movie fatigue?

Age of Ultron was arguably not the best movie, but still did insane box office. And how does Antman have lower than expected results? I don't believe they ever ment it to be the new billion dollar winner.

I agree with some of your other points, but using those two as examples is played out and incorrect.

When there's smoke, there's fire. Box office results does not always equate to high quality movie. Let's not quick to dismiss other people's opinion as this topic is very subjective.

Sorry to disrupt your session.

Ant-Man

Worldwide Gross: $326,336,000 almost 3X it's budget in a little over 3 WEEKS. It hasn't even been playing a MONTH.

$326,336,000/$130,000,000 = 2.51X

I'm not a fan of some movies (although some people consider it negative)

'Some people' may have never said just disliking a comic book production makes you negative. It's the repeated posting 'this is a bomb' before a movie gets released.

Continue on.

:popcorn:

The fact that THREE of the top SIX grossing films of all time were not only released in a single year, but released in a two month period (April-June) is completely unprecedented in the entire history of cinema...and AoU is one of those three!

Although one of the movies was released earlier than the later two blockbusters, 1965 was when three of the top blockbusters for that time set the record (adjusted for 2015 inflation).

3/2/65, The Sound of Music, Domestic Box Office (adj.): $1,156,412,900; Unadjusted Gross $158,671,368

12/21/65, Thunderball, Domestic Box Office (adj.): $607,376,000, Unadjusted Gross $63,595,658

12/22/65, Doctor Zhivago, Domestic Box Office (adj.): $1,007,979,900, Unadjusted Gross $111,721,910

At the time, they were 'for all time' candidates. Still #3, #8 and #29 on the All-Time Adjusted Domestic list.

Just read this entire thread and I know two things:

1. After a huge reply post on LoTR lamenting Peter Jackson's skillz, I can still say this - I am not a LoTR's fan (or Jackson for that matter)...

2. The trailer looked like - and the movie followed suit. Zero desire to see this turd.

I also have a question:

Who is Johnny Flame? lol

Since I'm guessing over half the thread hasn't read much of the FF, here's a great Wired article listing the top five comic runs they've had:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/fantastic-four-reading-list/

I couldn't agree with this list more. My favorite single issue is Fantastic Four (series 2) #67 where he showed a young Doctor Doom in love. It's difficult to cast a character as being more evil than he was in that issue. :eek:

Since I'm guessing over half the thread hasn't read much of the FF, here's a great Wired article listing the top five comic runs they've had:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/fantastic-four-reading-list/

I couldn't agree with this list more. My favorite single issue is Fantastic Four (series 2) #67 where he showed a young Doctor Doom in love. It's difficult to cast a character as being more evil than he was in that issue. :eek:

Wonderful article. I'd add in FF #239-243 where Galactus shows up, they (FF, Avengers, Doc Strange) pummel him until near-death and Reed saves him. Also a great single issue is FF #285 where a small boy is such a fan of the Torch that he tries to *be* him, with horrificly tragic results.

The more I think of these wonderful stories the more pissed off at that movie I get.

You can post what you like but then you also have to be prepared for the occasional eye roll if you're going to walk out on a limb or attempt to break new ground. Not everyone is going to buy into it.

Without a doubt.

Here it comes...

:eyeroll:

Avengers:

Age of Ultron

Production Budget: $250 million

Worldwide Gross: $1,398,442,727 or just UNDER 1.4 BILLION over 5X it's budget. It's the 6TH highest grossing movie of all time!!

Ant-Man

Lower than expected box office results?

Puh-leeze. They're happy as can be with these two movies. Ant-Man grossed almost as much on it's first night as FF did it's first weekend.

IM 3 made boat loads of cash and it is still a bad film.

Bad Film? Under what criteria?

That's just an opinion. There are plenty of people who enjoyed and even loved that movie. It has a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes It made a boatload of money, and ran for 2 1/2 months. It's the #9 highest grossing movie of all time.

Are their people that don't like it? Sure.

Would Marvel do it differently now, knowing that? No way.

They cashed in big time.

That's why they make movies.

I think the point is non-comic book people (masses) could start loosing interest if studios keep making poor quality movies.

Well, that's NOT his point. He's been claiming superhero movie 'fatigue' since ASM2, and it just ain't happening.

You make a good enjoyable superhero movie, people will come and see it.

You make a turd and people will pass.

That's still working.

Ant-Man

I don't understand your point.... the adverb 'almost' makes my sentence correct. (shrug)

Ant-Man

I don't understand your point.... the adverb 'almost' makes my sentence correct. (shrug)

3X = $390,000,000

Difference = $63,664,000

F4 would have loved to get a piece of that difference this past weekend. But the GAO would write it off as a tiny calculation error.

:baiting:

Ant-Man

3X = $390,000,000

Difference = $63,664,000

F4 would have loved to get a piece of that difference this past weekend. But the GAO would write it off as a tiny calculation error.

:baiting:

I still don't get what you're trying to say.

It's NOT almost 3X?

It's 2.5X it's budget.

It's ALMOST 3X.

What is the criteria for 'almost'?

To further explain my use of the word is the way I've used it in the sentence with 'in a little over 3 WEEKS', is to infer that it WILL get to 3X it's budget.

It's 2.5X there now, it's ALMOST there.

(shrug)

I still don't get what you're trying to say.

It's NOT almost 3X?

It's 2.5X it's budget.

It's ALMOST 3X.

What is the criteria for 'almost'?

To further explain my use of the word is the way I've used it in the sentence with 'in a little over 3 WEEKS', is to infer that it WILL get to 3X it's budget.

It's 2.5X there now, it's ALMOST there.

(shrug)

There are many dollars ahead ($63,664,000) before this movie is 3X of budget. There is no ALMOST with those numbers. Once the box offices in China and Japan start pouring in, then this movie is going to even exceed that 3X number.

Unfortunately I called this very scenario was going to happen in the other f4 thread.

Fantastic Four fails at box office, Fox still committed to series

"While we're disappointed, we remain committed to these characters and we have a lot to look forward to in our Marvel universe," said Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson, declining to comment specifically on Fantastic Four 2.

There's been speculation that Fox could incorporate the Fantastic Four characters into the X-Men series. Fox is also in the midst of launching two new superhero franchises based on Marvel characters; Deadpool and Gambit.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fantastic-four/36503/fantastic-four-fails-at-box-office-fox-still-committed-to-series