• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists charging at cons

145 posts in this topic

My bigger shock was Tony Moore, charging $20 -- while Robert Kirkman, to the best of my knowledge is still $10.

Tony turned down $450 for 5 minutes of work this weekend.

$10 was my limit. Not a dollar more.

I'll invest that with Kirkman instead (happily)

Yeah, I had 200 books for him but couldn't justify the $20 given that Robert is the more desired signature. You can thank a fellow boardie for his increase. ;)

Fellow boardie or fellow EX-Boardie....? :think:

A current boardie recommendation. $10 worked. I don't think $20 works but not my call.

My bigger shock was Tony Moore, charging $20 -- while Robert Kirkman, to the best of my knowledge is still $10.

Yeah, I had 200 books for him but couldn't justify the $20 given that Robert is the more desired signature. You can thank a fellow boardie for his increase. ;)

A current boardie recommendation. $10 worked. I don't think $20 works but not my call.

Tony Moore and Neal Adams must drink at the same bar :think:

Tony Moore and Neal Adams must drink at the same bar :think:

And drink the same Kool-Aid. :whistle:

Thanks, fellow board member, who convinces artists to charge more for their sigs because "everyone else is making money, you should, too!"

:cloud9:

I don't remember what Liefeld charges for signing NM 78 and NM 98 but he used to make you buy something off his table.

Last year he charged 25 for signing NM 87 & NM 98 and everything else was 20. This year he charged 30 or 35 for NM 87 & NM 98 and 25 or 30 for any x-force book and everything else was 20.

ive never directly paid for signatures... however, most of the big name artists that ive gotten (and in bulk too @25+ books) ive built a relationship up over the years... i guess im bragging a little (not trying to though xD) but even artists like Humberto Ramos, Tony Moore, J. Scott Campbell will let me get my books signed without charging simply because they know im not turning around and selling them.

I know a lot of the reason artists charge now is because of ebay, and resellers, and people generally taking advantage of it... so if they know you personally arent selling the books or looking for a profit, a lot of the time they just do it.

(it helps that i DO give them lots of money over the years for stuff like commissions, prints, statues, artbooks, etc so i fully support these people... and i never EXPECT them to do it for free.)

I don't remember what Liefeld charges for signing NM 78 and NM 98 but he used to make you buy something off his table.

Last year he charged 25 for signing NM 87 & NM 98 and everything else was 20. This year he charged 30 or 35 for NM 87 & NM 98 and 25 or 30 for any x-force book and everything else was 20.

hm

Try an UXM 245 and see what he charges. I don't know where the "everything else is $20" is coming from. And buying from his table made sigs cheaper.

ive never directly paid for signatures... however, most of the big name artists that ive gotten (and in bulk too @25+ books) ive built a relationship up over the years... i guess im bragging a little (not trying to though xD) but even artists like Humberto Ramos, Tony Moore, J. Scott Campbell will let me get my books signed without charging simply because they know im not turning around and selling them.

I know a lot of the reason artists charge now is because of ebay, and resellers, and people generally taking advantage of it... so if they know you personally arent selling the books or looking for a profit, a lot of the time they just do it.

(it helps that i DO give them lots of money over the years for stuff like commissions, prints, statues, artbooks, etc so i fully support these people... and i never EXPECT them to do it for free.)

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Michael Golden was $3 for CGC, and the first x# (3?) free otherwise.

That's a big shock--I thought he'd be the most expensive of her clients.

there's a chance the price is MORE if the agent is there, as she needs to get paid as well. But I caught him on an agentless day.

I'd say by and large most creators don't charge more than $10 per, with many (most?) of them still free most of the time (it varies). The rates really do change from con to con, with occasional variation for CGC SS, so if you have specific interest for a specific con, you should pm someone facilitating CGC SS at that con, or look on the creator website, or email the creator directly and ask.

Also know that free can mean long as effffff lines sometimes....

To sign his walking dead cover at wizard world Indianapolis hw was 20 a book. Renee was there.

So prices this year even as of SDCC:

Liefeld, $50 for New Mutants 98, $30 for New Mutants 87, $30 for X-Force 1 and 2, $25 for Deadpool related comics, $20 for random books (Image, Cable, and randomness) (I usually don't pay as much simply due to a relationship I have built up with him over the years) He also does remarks for me for.... whatever another facilitator is charging and not for me to say, and usually cuts a deal for sketches... even ones including feet....

Eastman, $15 for Signature only, $25 for Turtle Head, $30 for everything else although this can flex depending on number of books and honestly who asks...

Campbell, $20 per signature and the remark things are all over the god damn place... this is a sore subject as he charges whatever he felt like and the prices kept going up for everything at SDCC.... really sore subject

Wein, $20 doesn't matter what you give him...

Perez, asks for the Hero Initiative tray and I think its universal to give him $5 per book as a facilitator but his sketches are $40

McNiven and Soule both $10 if you are paying for anything but the Death of Wolverine to be CGCed.

Slott, I have no damn clue and isn't consistent at all. If I talk to him at the table about Doctor Who he refuses money, but double edge sword will NEVER stop talking. Last time we did that I truly felt bad for everyone behind me as they almost didn't get any thing signed... Then again did a private signing once with him and he was $20 we started counting out the short box numbers and he just shouted out a figure and said he didn't care....like I said, inconsistent.

Horn, charges for Gamestop books $20 and convention books $10, but if you buy a print he doesn't charge.

Bagley, depends on the amount and the book. I honestly think he hates Carnage... if you have a small amount 1-2 nothing and simply shakes a hand. 20 and up he charged me $5 per book for the exception of ASM 361. He also does remarks for a reasonable amount.

Chad Hardin, keep the amount down and he won't charge. Bring a stack of Harley's and it's $5 per book.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner - $20 for the both of them to sign CGC books. Free and no real cap although they will ask that you do it within reason.

Simonson's, Hero Initiative common Facilitator practice is $5 per book ish... depends on the amount for both of them. Sketches are extremely reasonable.

Rubinstein, $5-$10 and honestly might as well ask for a remark... really isn't that much more.

Bisley, he makes it up as he goes honestly. I've paid as little as a bottle of alcohol back in the day with Sunday being the day you bring water, to as much as $10 per book. He like Slott is inconsistent but remembers people so if you come back a lot he won't charge you.

There are a lot more but this is one of those things that you really need to ask your facilitator and go from that unless you are going your self. Just be prepared to pay anywhere between nothing to the common, $5, and as much as $100 now at some conventions for Stan Lee.

Liefeld's current pricing model, as of 2015 SDCC, was:

$20 for any Deadpool, New Mutants (non 87 or 98), or X-Force book

$40 for New Mutants #87 or #98

$10 extra (on top of the $20 or $40) if the book is to be CGC graded.

Anything else, he will sign for free, but depending on how busy the show is, he may have limits. (There are shows where he'll sign 2 other comics for free, other shows are 10 per person, etc.) Of course, if you buy prints or product from his table, he can be more lenient on the other books, too.

I'm not sure what the policy will be this Fall, like at NYCC, but there is a chance he will ask for more. He's got a store signing in Orange County this Saturday, so far his prices are what I have stated above. I'm asking him for his Fall rates, when I know more, I can post something.

Campbell, $20 per signature and the remark things are all over the god damn place... this is a sore subject as he charges whatever he felt like and the prices kept going up for everything at SDCC.... really sore subject

McNiven and Soule both $10 if you are paying for anything but the Death of Wolverine to be CGCed.

That's distressing to hear about Campbell. He told me at the beginning of SDCC, he was dropping sigs back to $10/each, from the $20 level that was being charged at Emerald City, but maybe that was raw sigs and not CGC sigs.

Wein is $20 no matter what, no difference if it's being graded or not.

In the past, if you brought McNiven or Soule 1-2 copies of a particular cover, there would be no charge. Once they see more than 2 copies of a specific issue, it was $10 a book. But I know Soule in particular has been more aggressive on charging the past couple of shows.

Many artists have 2 prices, one for a raw signature, one if they are told it's for CGC grading. (Window bags have become dead giveaways to many creators) A database of creators and their fees would be handy, but as several people have alluded to, the creators do change their minds, and pricing models, often, so anything quoted by any of us isn't always going to be true the next time there's a convention.

We are heading down the same road the sports industry did with signature pricing. It ain't gonna be pretty...

That's distressing to hear about Campbell. He told me at the beginning of SDCC, he was dropping sigs back to $10/each, from the $20 level that was being charged at Emerald City, but maybe that was raw sigs and not CGC sigs.

In the past, if you brought McNiven or Soule 1-2 copies of a particular cover, there would be no charge. Once they see more than 2 copies of a specific issue, it was $10 a book. But I know Soule in particular has been more aggressive on charging the past couple of shows.

Many artists have 2 prices, one for a raw signature, one if they are told it's for CGC grading. (Window bags have become dead giveaways to many creators) A database of creators and their fees would be handy, but as several people have alluded to, the creators do change their minds, and pricing models, often, so anything quoted by any of us isn't always going to be true the next time there's a convention.

We are heading down the same road the sports industry did with signature pricing. It ain't gonna be pretty...

I totally red both of those posts with your voice in my head.

:D

At some point, the premiums for sigs even on ultra high grade, key books will no longer be worth the cost, and people will stop doing it out of economic reasons.

Sad, but that's reality. Creators are convinced that someone else *might* be making money off their sig...never mind lots of someone else's already made money off their work in the first place...so, we can't have that.

Oh well.

I totally red both of those posts with your voice in my head.

:D

red-paint-o.gif