• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,091 posts in this topic

I started a thread in the Silver forums, asking for opinions on what should be considered the first Pepe, or if it should be a tie.  The more I think about it, the more I think the October cover date vs the December is, if not a definitive argument given what else we know, at least worthy of consideration given how the on sale dates from the LOC may not be 100% reliable as to when they actually hit the shelves- even if I do think a 16 day difference is probably well beyond the few days variance that would actually occur.

Hey Wabbit folk!

Think we have another "which came first debut" for a Looney Tunes characters comic book 1st appearance on the lines of Pepe Le Pew

So..a You Tuber recently uploaded some Dell keys to inform collectors about. He cited Four Color #918 as the first comic appearance of Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. Someone commented in the comments section that Bugs Bunny Vacation Funnies #8 holds that honor (as does CGC and i believe Overstreet does as well).

But he pointed out FC #918 is dated July 58 and BBVF is dated August 1958

My copy of FC #918 has a date stamp of July 10th. So what seems like a no-brainer, but for you newsstand date folks, since BBVF is an 'annual'  type title, could it still have been on the stands before FC 918?

..and if not, how has this been bungled so long?

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

Edited by sagii

Question:  What's the code on the inside of the FC 918, @sagii?  Vacation funnies is 588, indicating August 1958.  So until I'm sure the dates are being sourced in the same manner I'm leaning towards the Giant being first still, because...

The three eggs hatch in the Vacation Funnies, so it's indisputably the first appearance of the Road Runner kids in continuity terms.

With that said, Mike's Amazing World has the Vacation Funnies out on June 19, and the FC 918 On June 10, so the actual release date order may actually be Beep Beep first.

16 hours ago, sagii said:

Hey Wabbit folk!

Think we have another "which came first debut" for a Looney Tunes characters comic book 1st appearance on the lines of Pepe Le Pew

So..a You Tuber recently uploaded some Dell keys to inform collectors about. He cited Four Color #918 as the first comic appearance of Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. Someone commented in the comments section that Bugs Bunny Vacation Funnies #8 holds that honor (as does CGC and i believe Overstreet does as well).

But he pointed out FC #918 is dated July 58 and BBVF is dated August 1958

My copy of FC #918 has a date stamp of July 10th. So what seems like a no-brainer, but for you newsstand date folks, since BBVF is an 'annual'  type title, could it still have been on the stands before FC 918?

..and if not, how has this been bungled so long?

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

Resolving questions like this is the boards at its best! I do think that CGC can sometimes be influenced into what turns out later to be an incorrect label note. Happens a fair amount with artist attributions as well as first appearances of (don't hate me!) obscure characters.

Did any of you crazy mixed up kids land any of the Church Four Color Bugs from the current CLink auction? I took a run at them but wasn't willing to go high enough to land any of them. 

46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Did any of you crazy mixed up kids land any of the Church Four Color Bugs from the current CLink auction? I took a run at them but wasn't willing to go high enough to land any of them. 

really wanted to, but just about done on another deal and vacation planning/budgeting for the summer.

One of them, was offered on HA not too far back if I recall 

Should it rear it's head again under different circumstances........:sumo: whoo boy!!! 

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

really wanted to, but just about done on another deal and vacation planning/budgeting for the summer.

One of them, was offered on HA not too far back if I recall 

Should it rear it's head again under different circumstances........:sumo: whoo boy!!! 

It's interesting how Church funny animal books not listed in Chuck's original catalog keep turning up. I have a couple. 

As more surface, it makes me wonder whether Chuck's speculation that the family threw them out before he got there is accurate or whether Edgar just didn't buy many funny animal books. Perhaps he lacked the completist mania that seemed to seize him with other books? hm

lf_zpsy9iuxmca.jpeg

fel_zpsiaxpc7qs.jpeg

3 hours ago, sagii said:

@OtherEric Is this what you are referring to? 

20210530_085045.jpg

That is exactly what I meant.  So it looks like FC 918 may have actually come out before Vacation Funnies, but so close it's hard to be sure at this late date... and the story in Vacation Funnies is definitely first in story terms.

This is a good catch, and we'll see what the market picks if anybody other than our very small group decides to actually care about Road Runner comics.  But I think the Four Color was probably printed a few days earlier at this point, even if distribution was such that it may not have first on the racks everywhere.

The savage reviews by the critics and personal opinions / feelings about LeBron had me nervous,  but an enduring pop culture fixture is just that! Long live the Looney Tunes :luhv:

Going to check it out tonight 

Screenshot_20210717-135936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by sagii

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

The savage reviews by the critics and LeBron's 'views' had me nervous,  but an enduring pop culture fixture is just that! Long live the Looney Tunes :luhv:

Going to check it out tonight 

Screenshot_20210717-135936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Let us know what you think; I've been on the fence given the utterly savage reviews.