• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is CGC possibly this busy??

175 posts in this topic

Now a 65 Business Day wait? This is insane. Think its time to hire some new people, stop with these Comic Cons and work weekends. At least six day work weeks and 10 to 12 hour days should be looked at. Who ever manages this should give a reason why? An explanation to this insane wait should be given and emailed or mailed to each paying member. I don't pay for the higher tiers to wait. What's the point in giving so much money if you have to wait so long. This company is making money hand over fist and is the leader in grading. They set the bar for grading. The top company shouldn't be making people wait. Amazon folks get to upgrade to a Prime membership for better deals and free two day shipping. The shipping price here is also being overpriced. CGC needs to catch up, or it's going to start losing higher tier customers.

Extended work days and weeks are great, but what they really need to do is start hiring minors to do all the menial tasks. CGC could cut costs by paying kids with cheap generic candy.

I understand that breath mints are real productivity boosters.

I wonder if there have been talks of expanding, perhaps another location out west in CA or NV, or maybe one in the northeast like NY/NJ.

Expansion sounds great but how would it help TAT's ? The logistics of splitting up a business like this across the country would be tremendous. Where would they find the staff ? Two staffs, with two different head graders, would surely result in inconsistent grading. And what about Matt and his staff ? IMO, this would make everything worse. Sorry but it's a bad idea.

I wonder if there have been talks of expanding, perhaps another location out west in CA or NV, or maybe one in the northeast like NY/NJ.

Expansion sounds great but how would it help TAT's ? The logistics of splitting up a business like this across the country would be tremendous. Where would they find the staff ? Two staffs, with two different head graders, would surely result in inconsistent grading. And what about Matt and his staff ? IMO, this would make everything worse. Sorry but it's a bad idea.

Agreed. Splitting up wouldn't work, but I think simply expanding the existing team would. Sure, maybe this started as a "boutique" service catering to a niche community, but it's now a corporate powerhouse that needs to act as such. Hire more graders (there are plenty who are more than qualified), hire quality administrative staff, and give them hours that make sense for the demand.

Agreed. Splitting up wouldn't work, but I think simply expanding the existing team would. Sure, maybe this started as a "boutique" service catering to a niche community, but it's now a corporate powerhouse that needs to act as such. Hire more graders (there are plenty who are more than qualified), hire quality administrative staff, and give them hours that make sense for the demand.

Anyone worth their salt in comics will want more $$$ than the grading companies would be willing to pay. hm lets see work part time selling books and make $40,000 or work full time for a starting salary of $35,000 and not be able to sell books on the side. That's the real dilemma facing them hiring qualified people.

The branch offices is an idea that will most likely never fly. Too much duplication of effort in facilities, CS people, etc.

Stop being cheap and fast track :sumo:

+1

That is what CGC wants you to do.

Fast track is an obvious $ maker steroid to make impatient collectors bend over like the sheep you are.

The main reason why they are behind so behind on regular submissions is all the who fast track NM #98's that come back 4.5 and push down the regular submissions.

Now a 65 Business Day wait? This is insane. Think its time to hire some new people, stop with these Comic Cons and work weekends. At least six day work weeks and 10 to 12 hour days should be looked at. Who ever manages this should give a reason why? An explanation to this insane wait should be given and emailed or mailed to each paying member. I don't pay for the higher tiers to wait. What's the point in giving so much money if you have to wait so long. This company is making money hand over fist and is the leader in grading. They set the bar for grading. The top company shouldn't be making people wait. Amazon folks get to upgrade to a Prime membership for better deals and free two day shipping. The shipping price here is also being overpriced. CGC needs to catch up, or it's going to start losing higher tier customers.

Obvious shill account.

Anyone worth their salt in comics will want more $$$ than the grading companies would be willing to pay. hm lets see work part time selling books and make $40,000 or work full time for a starting salary of $35,000 and not be able to sell books on the side. That's the real dilemma facing them hiring qualified people.

The branch offices is an idea that will most likely never fly. Too much duplication of effort in facilities, CS people, etc.

Many problems with branch offices with the biggest in my eyes is that people start sending books to the facility with the perceived softest grading.

I think someone once suggested offering get incentives to graders for meeting deadlines. That never really works as the deadline is the goal and not quality work. The only option is to offer more base money to graders.

When I was in college I needed a third job. (That's right... "Third"). I was already working a landscaping job and a retail job. I was allowed to work another retail job so long as it did not conflict with the products of the other retail job. I was going to work at Macy's but then I decided not to. I took on the breakfast grill at McDonalds because they were offering far more than Macy's with the reason being that no one wanted to work at McDonalds so they needed to make the job attractive. I received higher compensation and McDonald's got their breakfast items rolled out on time.

Cgc could raise the salary of graders if they are having a hard time finding people to take on that job. Make it financially attractive to do and people will do it.

+1

reward terrible service :idea:

Where's the terrible service? I send books to be graded, I give them time to do their job while understanding I'm not the only person on Earth submitting books, and then I get freshly stabbed books mailed back to me.

When I have questions regarding my current submission, a customer service rep always gets back to me right away, and from a company email address I can email them back if I still have questions. Bad service?

If they have bad service, then don't use them, friend. Go send your books to the other company, get your books graded under lazier grading standards, and sell them (if you're selling) for a fraction of the price a CGC slabbed book gets you. At least it would divert your self centered comments to the other company's forum.

CGC is the top dog. I can wait a bit longer for my slabs- no problem. If it's not fast enough for you, dig deep and go Fast Track. Easy.

To which “other company” do you refer? The “company” located in Oregon that’s basically one guy in a basement with a slabbing machine, or the other legitmate company that’s located in St. Petersburg and was founded by former CGC staff?

[[ insert other company name here ]]

Whoever you can cram into those brackets above.

Common sense tells me to walk away from this thread but I can’t resist my curiosity. There are 3 grading companies, if you include the faux company in Oregon (PGX). You are saying that the newest company, founded by CGC’s former president and primary grader grades under lazier standards?

That's why he left - so he could be lazy.

I'm assuming that's a joke or that you've never met Steve, because that is so far from correct that I'm concerned at the possibility of that spreading as a rumour that may fall on newer collectors' ears. Steve did not leave to be lazy, he left to work harder in something he believed in more. (thumbs u

And I'm not sure the bolded comment above was directed towards SB's company, but if it was, then again I have to call that out as entirely unfounded. I don't care to debate which service is better (especially out of respect for CGC as hosts) but to call SB's company's standards lazy is simply untrue. Their team works as tirelessly as we often vocalize that CGC should be, and anyone else here who are friends of these guys can back me up on that. (thumbs u

That's not to say CGC isn't working just as hard. I wouldn't know. :foryou:

Finally, I'm 99% sure neither of the other companies host an official forum.

+1

reward terrible service :idea:

Where's the terrible service? I send books to be graded, I give them time to do their job while understanding I'm not the only person on Earth submitting books, and then I get freshly stabbed books mailed back to me.

When I have questions regarding my current submission, a customer service rep always gets back to me right away, and from a company email address I can email them back if I still have questions. Bad service?

If they have bad service, then don't use them, friend. Go send your books to the other company, get your books graded under lazier grading standards, and sell them (if you're selling) for a fraction of the price a CGC slabbed book gets you. At least it would divert your self centered comments to the other company's forum.

CGC is the top dog. I can wait a bit longer for my slabs- no problem. If it's not fast enough for you, dig deep and go Fast Track. Easy.

To which “other company” do you refer? The “company” located in Oregon that’s basically one guy in a basement with a slabbing machine, or the other legitmate company that’s located in St. Petersburg and was founded by former CGC staff?

[[ insert other company name here ]]

Whoever you can cram into those brackets above.

Common sense tells me to walk away from this thread but I can’t resist my curiosity. There are 3 grading companies, if you include the faux company in Oregon (PGX). You are saying that the newest company, founded by CGC’s former president and primary grader grades under lazier standards?

That's why he left - so he could be lazy.

I'm assuming that's a joke or that you've never met Steve, because that is so far from correct that I'm concerned at the possibility of that spreading as a rumour that may fall on newer collectors' ears. Steve did not leave to be lazy, he left to work harder in something he believed in more. (thumbs u

And I'm not sure the bolded comment above was directed towards SB's company, but if it was, then again I have to call that out as entirely unfounded. I don't care to debate which service is better (especially out of respect for CGC as hosts) but to call SB's company's standards lazy is simply untrue. Their team works as tirelessly as we often vocalize that CGC should be, and anyone else here who are friends of these guys can back me up on that. (thumbs u

That's not to say CGC isn't working just as hard. I wouldn't know. :foryou:

Finally, I'm 99% sure neither of the other companies host an official forum.

SB is one of the most honest,hard working guys I know. Lazy and SB should never ever be in the same sentence.

Just a joke. Don't know if a person has ever left a company that they started to start up another company to be lazy. If you helped start up two companies then I'd pretty much put you in the non lazy column.

All this talk about expanding, hiring more people, etc. is meaningless. Why? Because they don't have to. They are in an enviable position of having too much work and plenty demand for their services. If you don't use them, where will you go? The other company? Like they don't have enough work as it is. Right now there is no real incentive to make any changes.

All this talk about expanding, hiring more people, etc. is meaningless. Why? Because they don't have to. They are in an enviable position of having too much work and plenty demand for their services. If you don't use them, where will you go? The other company? Like they don't have enough work as it is. Right now there is no real incentive to make any changes.

Yes and no... I held off on submitting as many books as I originally intended.

Yes and no... I held off on submitting as many books as I originally intended.

And they still continue to get busier. That is the point.

I think more people would be less disturbed about the extended TAT if CGC offered some sort of refund or coupon for when they cant deliver.

For instance I have recently paid $95 for 2 books to go Express, thats 5 working days til graded. Well its past that and now theoretically my books have gone into the Standard service, well thats what I am getting now and thats a $60 service. I'm upset for paying and/or not knowing my grades. Now if I was to get a refund of $35 per book, now I am happy again. See how that works?

There are many business in the world who pride themselves on customer satisfaction and a high percentage would offer this discount or extend a coupon/discount for future purchases. CGC just continues to take our money, fall short on promises, and has nothing to say and I assume they dont care either.