• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That's why I don't disclose my birthday.

171 posts in this topic

Good idea as there are currently 6 Bday threads on the first page

I guess it doesn't matter that the majority of people said no more birthday threads in the polls.

I wonder about the true motivations of the people creating these threads.

They say a true good deed is one where no one knows you did it.

Sometimes people do good things only if they know it will be seen by other people and they will get credit for it.

You want to truly wish them a happy birthday minus the need for recognition for having done so?

Send them a PM saying hey, I saw it was your birthday, and I wanted to wish you a happy one. seems much more sincere than just starting a thread for every name you see on the todays birthdays list.

OMG it's just a birthday wish, I don't want any recognition for it. Just trying to be nice and let the person having a birthday get a little attention. :preach: you bunch of old farts

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

See, exactly what I'm talking about

There's always going to be people who tell you what a great guy you are for doing it, etc.....

So Is it a sincere desire to wish them a happy birthday?

Or a desire for attention and approval from your fellow board members?

If it's a sincere desire to wish them a happy birthday, then take the time to send a PM, seems much more personal and sincere.

Something tells me it's about wanting to fit in, and being accepted and approved of by the community,(hence the public threads) more then it is a burning personal need to wish everyone a happy birthday.(which could be done in a PM)

I very much doubt Azkaban goes out of his way every morning to start birthday threads just for attention and approval. That is an unfair statement and bordering on unnecessarily hostile.

Whatever your views on birthday threads... love 'em, hate 'em or want them moved to a sub-forum, they are nothing more than a gesture of goodwill and community spirit.

If you truly believe birthday wishes should be PMd, then by the same argument your thoughts on the intentions of individuals should be PMd direct to those concerned, rather than trying to out them in a public forum as attention seekers.

Let's try an keep the boards an "open and positive environment" and a "positive experience for everyone".

Thank you (thumbs u

I guess it doesn't matter that the majority of people said no more birthday threads in the polls.

Sometimes people do good things only if they know it will be seen by other people and they will get credit for it.

You want to truly wish them a happy birthday minus the need for recognition for having done so?

Send them a PM saying hey, I saw it was your birthday, and I wanted to wish you a happy one. seems much more sincere than just starting a thread for every name you see on the todays birthdays list.

OMG it's just a birthday wish, I don't want any recognition for it. Just trying to be nice and let the person having a birthday get a little attention. :preach: you bunch of old farts

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

There's always going to be people who tell you what a great guy you are for doing it, etc.....

If it's a sincere desire to wish them a happy birthday, then take the time to send a PM, seems much more personal and sincere.

Something tells me it's about wanting to fit in, and being accepted and approved of by the community,(hence the public threads) more then it is a burning personal need to wish everyone a happy birthday.(which could be done in a PM)

:roflmao:

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

Now when I wish my kids and wife Happy Birthday, I'll be wondering whether I'm just trying to fit in, :insane:

But seriously, I dont know Azkaban, but from the few posts I've read from him, he seems like a sincere guy. Not someone who's pining for a custom title.

What Budsbundy says has merit. He wasn't accusing anyone of deliberate self-seeking, but there's nothing wrong with examining ourselves and our motives. We may not think we're doing something for attention, but is that necessarily true?

After all...why does anyone say anything? Because we have something we want to say, and want to get the attention of others to say it. Does that mean seeking attention is bad? Depends on the context. Is Azkaban doing these out of a desire to make others feel happy, or is he doing it to be self-serving, or a little from column A, a little from column B? Only Azkaban can answer that, but it's an important question we ought to ask ourselves all the time.

And no, it's not "bordering on hostile" to question someone's motives. Perhaps, if we questioned motives more often, things might be a bit nicer around here.

The real question, however, is "why are we celebrating birthdays in the first place? What is so special about the day we were born? Did we have anything to do with it? Was it an event that came about because of any conscious decision we made, or something we accomplished? If not...isn't that just a way of having people focus on us for no real reason? And is focusing on ourselves ever a good thing...?

hm

"You're just a fuddy duddy buzzkill, RMA, it's just a simple wish for happiness, a bright spot in the day!"

Maybe. But does that mean we shouldn't examine our motives and question ourselves and why we do the things we do?

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

I very much doubt Azkaban goes out of his way every morning to start birthday threads just for attention and approval. That is an unfair statement and bordering on unnecessarily hostile.

How do you know? Do you know Azkaban's private motives? Does Azkaban know his own motives? (He may, he may not, I know I haven't always understood my own motives.)

Is it "unfair" and "bordering on unnecessary hostility" to question motives? Budsbundy was asking the question, not accusing anyone.

As in everything, it isn't what one says, but rather what one does, that tells the real story. There was a poll, and a good majority of people (60% to 40%) wanted the threads moved to a sub-forum. Yet, here we are, with more birthday threads.

Is it a big deal...? Well, depends. If there's one or two such threads on the front page, ok, no biggie. If there are 10 (and there have been that, and more), it gets to be a lot of clutter.

Big deal....? Couldn't people just ignore them...?

Sure. But why should people be forced to ignore them? Is that being fair to them?

hm

Whatever your views on birthday threads... love 'em, hate 'em or want them moved to a sub-forum, they are nothing more than a gesture of goodwill and community spirit.

You sure about that? How can you say for sure? How can you know the private motives of others, especially when they may not always know them themselves?

If you truly believe birthday wishes should be PMd, then by the same argument your thoughts on the intentions of individuals should be PMd direct to those concerned, rather than trying to out them in a public forum as attention seekers.

That logic doesn't fly.

Let's try an keep the boards an "open and positive environment" and a "positive experience for everyone".

Do you really mean that...? I don't know that you do. After all, isn't someone who doesn't appreciate the clutter of birthday threads part of that "everyone"? And since we just had a poll, and the majority asked for a sub-forum, and those results have been disregarded and ignored...then is it really a "positive experience for everyone"...or a "positive experience for everyone (as Batman defines positive)"?

Not condemning, just asking.

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

Now when I wish my kids and wife Happy Birthday, I'll be wondering whether I'm just trying to fit in, :insane:

But seriously, I dont know Azkaban, but from the few posts I've read from him, he seems like a sincere guy. Not someone who's pining for a custom title.

Agreed.

Now Oakland on the other hand...he was in it for the whole 9...custom title and a forumite of the year award and damn proud of it :)

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

Agreed.

Now Oakland on the other hand...he was in it for the whole 9...custom title and a forumite of the year award and damn proud of it :)

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

Agreed.

rc3iz.jpg

:baiting:

Big (thumbs u to you.

Ignore the comments.

Whiners gonna whine.

+1

Agreed.

rc3iz.jpg

:baiting:

Everyone knows there are only three motives for being nice around here:

1) custom title

2) forumite of the year award

3) Cool Books ™

Duh :)