• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2016 -- It's still Never too Early, October 6-9

351 posts in this topic

The morning line was awful. Got there at 9:30 and did not get in till 11:15. It wrapped around the Javits twice and then some. I heard rumors that some people found a quick way in, but I did not see it without having an upper level badge. I was talking with Terry Dodson for a bit, and he said that he had forgotten some portfolios and left the building and it took him almost 45 minutes to get back in.

Correct. Arrived st 9:15 Friday ,was told to circle to te right. Completed a 360 to where I arrived, front entrance, had to turn around a circle back another 360 to once again the main entrance. Didnt have anyone supervising the lines on the back 3/4 of the javits. It was chaos.

After the 2nd circle an employee told me once again to circle the building to the right. Told him "not happening " was guided to a supervisor.

This process took about an hour and a half.

The morning line was awful. Got there at 9:30 and did not get in till 11:15. It wrapped around the Javits twice and then some. I heard rumors that some people found a quick way in, but I did not see it without having an upper level badge. I was talking with Terry Dodson for a bit, and he said that he had forgotten some portfolios and left the building and it took him almost 45 minutes to get back in.

Correct. Arrived st 9:15 Friday ,was told to circle to te right. Completed a 360 to where I arrived, front entrance, had to turn around a circle back another 360 to once again the main entrance. Didnt have anyone supervising the lines on the back 3/4 of the javits. It was chaos.

After the 2nd circle an employee told me once again to circle the building to the right. Told him "not happening " was guided to a supervisor.

Reedpop issued an apology last night. Not that it means much. I hope people going today are having a better experience, and hoping it is better by tomorrow when I am going again.

Reedpop issued an apology last night. Not that it means much. I hope people going today are having a better experience, and hoping it is better by tomorrow when I am going again.

No problems getting in today.

What would you prefer?

Short lines and poor security?

There thing was the line was very long, but the security did not justify it. They barely glanced in my bag, and never checked ID. No metal detectors, no wands, security that I saw was minimal. They had about 10 people checking bags and scanning cards for everyone. It was just not enough people. Plus they can fill Met Life or really any NFL stadium with 80k people with high security in 30 minutes or less. They should be able to do it here.

Last year the regular book publishers gave away a lot of books toward the end of the day. This year, not so much.

I bought a lot of $1-$2 comics from the usual suspects.. j.s. and zapp, katz, searchlight, while there is no doubt a lot of great stuff in there, I don't feel like I did as well as last year. true, i wasn't there for the doors opening on thursday, came in around 11:15, so maybe I missed some great mispriced books, but that's when i get there last year too and I had some nice scores. anyway, the hunt is still fun.

Went all four days, but only for 2 1/2 hours on Friday. Saturday was with wife and kids, so I didn't look at comics. sunday got there are 2:15 with the wife and kids. traffic was horrendous. a 40 minute trip took 90 minutes because a parade made it impossible to get from the east to west side. but by some miracle my wife found street parking, so we saved like $40 there. i got about 90 minutes to look at comics on sunday.

I am getting old. I was popping 8 advils a day for foot and knee pain and pulled a muscle in my side dragging a short box around in a bag on thursday.

The convention center uses layers of steel plates and industrial strength concrete which makes it excruciating on your knees and feet. Walking on the concrete sidewalks of the city is like walking on a grass field by comparison. To use the crappiest, paper thin carpet shows you why NY loses out on more shows. :sick:

This might be my last year in my hometown show.

rantrant

Cheers!

N.

There are some aisles where they have a lot of padding on the floors but it is so much I almost fell down.

Yeah, that place is rough on the feet/legs. I will trust your explanation because I couldn't figure out why I was hurting so much.

Went all four days, but only for 2 1/2 hours on Friday. Saturday was with wife and kids, so I didn't look at comics. sunday got there are 2:15 with the wife and kids. traffic was horrendous. a 40 minute trip took 90 minutes because a parade made it impossible to get from the east to west side. but by some miracle my wife found street parking, so we saved like $40 there. i got about 90 minutes to look at comics on sunday.

I am getting old. I was popping 8 advils a day for foot and knee pain and pulled a muscle in my side dragging a short box around in a bag on thursday.

Man, I can't imagine doing all four days. That must be an endurance test. I usually do ONE day and at the end of it I'm thoroughly exhausted, leg and knee pain just as you say and often back pain as well. I decided to make this year a skip year, and reading your posts I'm reminded of one of the reasons why. I think the smaller shows are more fun for me, not that I go to those very often either.

Man, I can't imagine doing all four days. That must be an endurance test. I usually do ONE day and at the end of it I'm thoroughly exhausted, leg and knee pain just as you say and often back pain as well. I decided to make this year a skip year, and reading your posts I'm reminded of one of the reasons why. I think the smaller shows are more fun for me, not that I go to those very often either.

WW Chicago is much the same way. I've never been to NYCC, but I felt/heard much the same in terms of complaints.

Smaller shows are more fun, but proportionally they are also better for smaller books. If you want to see/buy the good stuff you typically have to do it at a larger show. But as Buzzetta said in his thread, and he is by no means alone on this, I don't know how any comic dealers make money at a show like this when the booth fees are what they are.

And you don't weigh over 300 pounds!

Speaking of which, someone please explain this to me. I am rummaging through boxes. The guy to the left of me isn't a little guy either, well over 6 feet tall, etc. I am almost touching him with my left arm, but there is a long box between us neither one of us is looking in yet, but I am moving to my left and am about 2/3 through my current box. some guy tries to wedge himself in between us to get at the box I am about to go into. mind you, i have empty boxes to my right (that I already looked at) and the other guy there has empty boxes to his left, but this guy just MUST try to squeeze into an 8 inch crack in between about 550 pounds of men.

I was a little flummoxed by this, but they squeezer thought this made total sense as neither of us had stuck a hand in the box yet, I wasn't about to get into a fight about it and just let him have it as there were other boxes, but seriously, I am like 4 feet wide and have a giant backpack on, why are you trying to squeeze in there??

sorry if you, the squeezer, are a boardie, but this is just odd behavior. there are a lot of roided up guys at these shows who might take a swing at you. luckily, i am not one of them and by sunday I barely had the energy to lift my arms.

Speaking of which, someone please explain this to me. I am rummaging through boxes. The guy to the left of me isn't a little guy either, well over 6 feet tall, etc. I am almost touching him with my left arm, but there is a long box between us neither one of us is looking in yet, but I am moving to my left and am about 2/3 through my current box. some guy tries to wedge himself in between us to get at the box I am about to go into. mind you, i have empty boxes to my right (that I already looked at) and the other guy there has empty boxes to his left, but this guy just MUST try to squeeze into an 8 inch crack in between about 550 pounds of men.

I was a little flummoxed by this, but they squeezer thought this made total sense as neither of us had stuck a hand in the box yet, I wasn't about to get into a fight about it and just let him have it as there were other boxes, but seriously, I am like 4 feet wide and have a giant backpack on, why are you trying to squeeze in there??

sorry if you, the squeezer, are a boardie, but this is just odd behavior. there are a lot of roided up guys at these shows who might take a swing at you. luckily, i am not one of them and by sunday I barely had the energy to lift my arms.

I'll do that move if I know the other guy is a flipper. Why look thru the books he has already passed on when I can get ahead of him and possibly score a book at a great price. I'm 270 and pretty wide so I beat that situation by standing sideways and flipping quickly thru the box. If I would have been the squeezer the three of us would have looked like a defensive line.

I'll do that move if I know the other guy is a flipper. Why look thru the books he has already passed on when I can get ahead of him and possibly score a book at a great price. I'm 270 and pretty wide so I beat that situation by standing sideways and flipping quickly thru the box. If I would have been the squeezer the three of us would have looked like a defensive line.

well, i don't think either one of us was an obvious flipper. i had only pulled like 4 books at that point (and i ultimately had trouble pulling 10 that seemed worthwhile from this seller) and just had a backpack. the other guy had already been in the box and also only had a couple of books. plus, it was like 4:00 pm on sunday of a 4 day show, the great books in the cheap-o-boxes had already been bought. plus, like i said, there were multiple boxes to the other guy's left he had not even looked at, not that this guy who wedged himself in there knew who had looked at what as he had just arrived.

well, i don't think either one of us was an obvious flipper. i had only pulled like 4 books at that point (and i ultimately had trouble pulling 10 that seemed worthwhile from this seller) and just had a backpack. the other guy had already been in the box and also only had a couple of books. plus, it was like 4:00 pm on sunday of a 4 day show, the great books in the cheap-o-boxes had already been bought. plus, like i said, there were multiple boxes to the other guy's left he had not even looked at, not that this guy who wedged himself in there knew who had looked at what as he had just arrived.

Anyone who feels the need to touch me while we're flipping through longboxes is going to get a stern talking to. My personal space is violated enough walking through the isles to tolerate that BS at a dealer booth lol