• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Link's Fall Auction - November 12, 2015

262 posts in this topic

The Ron Lim SS page with all Thanos panels ended at $2,675. :popcorn:

I preface this with the fact that I like Ron Lim's art quite a bit, and his run on Silver Surfer is solidly great work. I also understand that Thanos is a hot property at the moment. But am I wrong for wondering when the heck Lim SS panel pages started selling for this much money? Or is this just inflated price from bidding frenzy? Thoughts?

Lim SS panel pages featuring Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet have been selling for over $2k since last year. Given that a panel page from SS #45 sold for $2.4k in the Feb 2015 CLink auction, $2.7k for this one isn't a surprise. I made a strong run at this page as it leads into the one I own, but got outbid by at least 2 others.

What really shocked me was $5.8k for the Perez IG page with a Thanos headshot in the bottom panel. $15k for the Starlin IM #55 page with Thanos' feet was also surprising.

The other "joke" Lim SS page from the annual seemed him at $420 from a dealer. it didn't sell for much more at CL but this is getting depressing since Lim is my favorite artist & I only collect him. I need a time machine!

Lim is my favorite artist & I only collect him. I need a time machine!

It's good to see Ron Lim get the hobby respect. He's a really nice hard working guy that I've always seen at conventions who's gracious to his fans.

I'm noticing artists like Lim, Pollard, Buckler, Sal Buscema and others who may not have been considered top tier artists to the peers of their era in popularity, are seeing certain works gain solid interest.

This circles back to original artwork being more than just pretty pictures, pin-ups and splashes, but when a creative team combines the right artist and writer onto a character and they create great storytelling, it pays off and fans remember.

I don't see a lot of Ron Lim's other work necessarily appreciating at the same level, but his Silver Surfer work should continue to rise.

I preface this with the fact that I like Ron Lim's art quite a bit, and his run on Silver Surfer is solidly great work. I also understand that Thanos is a hot property at the moment. But am I wrong for wondering when the heck Lim SS panel pages started selling for this much money? Or is this just inflated price from bidding frenzy? Thoughts?

Lim SS panel pages featuring Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet have been selling for over $2k since last year. Given that a panel page from SS #45 sold for $2.4k in the Feb 2015 CLink auction, $2.7k for this one isn't a surprise. I made a strong run at this page as it leads into the one I own, but got outbid by at least 2 others.

What really shocked me was $5.8k for the Perez IG page with a Thanos headshot in the bottom panel. $15k for the Starlin IM #55 page with Thanos' feet was also surprising.

I have owned a page from Silver Surfer 38 that features Thanos in nearly every panel and Nebula and I had put it up for sale late last year and Lim collectors and dealers alike told me the high number would be $350-$500, so I held onto it. One dealer even said he'd owned it before and didn't want it back and this page came from Tom Christopher, so it is absolutely fresh to market. I'm even more happy that the Lim SS page reached $2,700. It validates what I've been saying for more than a year: These Lim SS pages featuring Thanos are hot and hit four figures when Thanos is a major part of the page.

Could not be happier to have this..

Just put in on CAF

One of the pieces I really wanted, price seemed reasonable to me!!!! Yes its all about the lower half (well 4/9 ths) of the page

image_zpsm8ko9hoc.jpeg

I have owned a page from Silver Surfer 38 that features Thanos in nearly every panel and Nebula and I had put it up for sale late last year and Lim collectors and dealers alike told me the high number would be $350-$500, so I held onto it. One dealer even said he'd owned it before and didn't want it back and this page came from Tom Christopher, so it is absolutely fresh to market. I'm even more happy that the Lim SS page reached $2,700. It validates what I've been saying for more than a year: These Lim SS pages featuring Thanos are hot and hit four figures when Thanos is a major part of the page.

Yeah, ok.. I own pages from SS 45 and 35 that both have Thanos, but I guess I was lucky and bought them awhile back before these types of prices were being commanded. I was seeing SS pages for the $300 -$500 range, depending on content, so this over $2k mark surprised me.. though I guess I missed the CLink auction, and other auctions, that set these prices. Is there also an upswing to his Infinity War and Infinity Crusade work as well? Or just SS?

Lim is my favorite artist & I only collect him. I need a time machine!

It's good to see Ron Lim get the hobby respect. He's a really nice hard working guy that I've always seen at conventions who's gracious to his fans.

I'm noticing artists like Lim, Pollard, Buckler, Sal Buscema and others who may not have been considered top tier artists to the peers of their era in popularity, are seeing certain works gain solid interest.

This circles back to original artwork being more than just pretty pictures, pin-ups and splashes, but when a creative team combines the right artist and writer onto a character and they create great storytelling, it pays off and fans remember.

I don't see a lot of Ron Lim's other work necessarily appreciating at the same level, but his Silver Surfer work should continue to rise.

Living in the same city as Ron Lim, and running into him regularly at some of our local cons, I will agree he's nothing but hard working and gracious to his fans. He's a great guy who's been in the industry for a long time and has continuously produced consistent quality work, and he's a cool guy to talk with. I'm thrilled to see him getting the respect and love that his work deserves.

I agree that there's uptick in interest in all the other artists that you list, as I've seen pages by them jump up in selling price. Good that they're getting the respect that they deserve, though my wallet doesn't necessarily like it.

Just put in on CAF

One of the pieces I really wanted, price seemed reasonable to me!!!! Yes its all about the lower half (well 4/9 ths) of the page

image_zpsm8ko9hoc.jpeg

Very nice page. Congratulations on the win. Upper half is good, but yeah.. all about the lower half of the page.

The other "joke" Lim SS page from the annual seemed him at $420 from a dealer. it didn't sell for much more at CL but this is getting depressing since Lim is my favorite artist & I only collect him. I need a time machine!

No need to fret, plenty of Lim's non-Marvel Cosmic work is still decently priced. For example, great oversized pages from Avengers: Death Trap, The Vault go for below $100!

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26f1%3Da%2EEndDate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%252C%2Bi%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2ECondition%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3DStatus2%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1074150

Just put in on CAF

Congrats Joe, it's a very pretty piece! You've picked up some nice IG pages recently (thumbs u

Yeah, ok.. I own pages from SS 45 and 35 that both have Thanos, but I guess I was lucky and bought them awhile back before these types of prices were being commanded. I was seeing SS pages for the $300 -$500 range, depending on content, so this over $2k mark surprised me.. though I guess I missed the CLink auction, and other auctions, that set these prices. Is there also an upswing to his Infinity War and Infinity Crusade work as well? Or just SS?

Broadly speaking, price-wise (and I daresay artistically too), Lim's IG (including IG-related SS and Thanos Quest) pages > IW pages > IC pages. There's been a definite uptick on IG prices, but IW and IC pages haven't jumped as much. Needless to say, pages with Thanos command a premium over those without.

Just put in on CAF

Congrats Joe, it's a very pretty piece! You've picked up some nice IG pages recently (thumbs u

Thanks,

I sold a bunch of things in this auction so I had money to spare; also I was the underbidder on the Marvel Premier Iron Fist and I really wanted that one...the IG page was my second most wanted, so after losing the first and I want going to lose this on...I just thought that price was way too much for the Premiere cover, so was able to pick up a few other things with some thrill bids, and just asked my son if he liked the look of anything...and he did, so we got it... :insane:

much for the Premiere cover, so was able to pick up a few other things with some thrill bids, and just asked my son if he liked the look of anything...and he did, so we got it... :insane:

it's fun to have an enabler! :)

awesome page!

I wasn't going to point this out until after the auction ended , and I did have an interest in the Avengers 39 splash as I would love to own it, but there has to be a stat that is the actual published page as the artwork was changed a fair amount prior to publishing. Giant Man was stated and enlarged, the globe over his head had "bus stop" drawn onto it and the news stand had extra "wood lines" drawn onto the side are the differences that jump out at me.

So its the original art...but not the published splash page.

Would not matter much to me but to some it might matter alot.

Jay

I wasn't going to point this out until after the auction ended , and I did have an interest in the Avengers 39 splash as I would love to own it, but there has to be a stat that is the actual published page as the artwork was changed a fair amount prior to publishing. Giant Man was stated and enlarged, the globe over his head had "bus stop" drawn onto it and the news stand had extra "wood lines" drawn onto the side are the differences that jump out at me.

Jay

Might want to let Will Gabri-El know, it's up on his CAF page.

Was advised today that my CL items are shipping. 1 day before I thought they might. Paid last week and they shipped today. Surprisingly enough I was advised that my HA items will shipped today. Th HA items I paid for on 11-24-15.

Just a bit of a difference in the speed there.

Jay

The differences you site here are pretty minor. I would consider this the published page. I think most seasoned collectors would as well. I don't think the value should be affected at all. My 2 cents.

Glen

Was advised today that my CL items are shipping. 1 day before I thought they might. Paid last week and they shipped today. Surprisingly enough I was advised that my HA items will shipped today. Th HA items I paid for on 11-24-15.

Well in the last C-Link auction I won one small book for something like $78. Shipping to Canada has just one option, $65 via FedEx. Tack on credit card surcharge, Fedex processing fees :censored: and it cost me more to ship the book. Annoying is putting it mildly as its an out right cash grab gouge. Tell me one other operation that charges even half that amount to ship one book? Not Metro, Heritage, WorldWide, etc.

Maybe they could use the shipping profits to upgrade the check out side of the website.

Well in the last C-Link auction I won one small book for something like $78. Shipping to Canada has just one option, $65 via FedEx. Tack on credit card surcharge, Fedex processing fees :censored: and it cost me more to ship the book. Annoying is putting it mildly as its an out right cash grab gouge. Tell me one other operation that charges even half that amount to ship one book? Not Metro, Heritage, WorldWide, etc.

Maybe they could use the shipping profits to upgrade the check out side of the website.

As a Canadian you can't buy one, lower dollar-value book from CLink. I always try to buy in multiples of three since there is a flat shipping rate for 1-3 and again fore 4-6 comics. For art it's $65 no matter how many pages you buy.

The counter to your argument is that you can buy a $100,000 piece from CLink and it's still $65 shipping including insurance.

Mike

As a Canadian you can't buy one, lower dollar-value book from CLink. I always try to buy in multiples of three since there is a flat shipping rate for 1-3 and again fore 4-6 comics. For art it's $65 no matter how many pages you buy.

The counter to your argument is that you can buy a $100,000 piece from CLink and it's still $65 shipping including insurance.

Mike

Which would pretty much be the same at any of the big operations. I could probably still pay less at Heritage or Metro though.

Mike

Which would pretty much be the same at any of the big operations. I could probably still pay less at Heritage or Metro though.

You might. I don't like Heritage. Slow ship times and they charge a 15% buyers premium vs. Comic Link's 3%.

Just like anything some people like one of them and some people like the other. I feel I get better service at Comic Link. However, other people will tell you they get better service from one of the other auction sites. You like potato and I like potahto.

Mike

I won a real cheap item from CLINK. I paid for the item and had them hold it for me until after the next auction because I knew I would win some other stuff which they did and they combined the shipping.