• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Link's Fall Auction - November 12, 2015

262 posts in this topic

I am not surprised by the weak result on the Avengers #39 splash. Full disclosure: I was the underbidder when it came up on ebay last summer. When an obscure 2-Up Avengers splash emerges from a private collection on ebay, I'm motivated to take a swipe at it. But when that piece starts getting shopped around, it feels less special. It's not terribly well rendered, and it's not particularly historic or nostalgic (for me, at least). Conversely, I was very impressed with the Heck Black Widow sale. But it's historic, so I'm not shocked it sold for more than the Avengers splash.

One thing that got "lost" in the shuffle from eBay to CLink was that it was folded -hard- in half, highly visible from the back. Fully disclosed on eBay in the description and also a picture of the back. Neither that written description or the backside picture translated over to the CAF or ComicLink listings. Maybe that disclosure (along with what looks like an amateur trim job) wouldn't have made a difference at the end, maybe it would have?

Any thoughts on the Iron Man 55 page drawing 15K? I was second runner-up in the bidding and was not even close to the final price

This went way high; based on last year's HA results I expected $10k max. Could be due to Thanos' feet making an appearance? Makes sense since every Thanos piece in this auction went ballistic.

Btw would have loved for you to win it man ;)

And further along the lines of misinformation, that piece was never offered on CAF at any price after the eBay auction. In fact, it was never posted to CAF. I was curious as to who won the eBay auction and checked CAF frequently. Never happened.

Not true. I saw it with my own eyes. Offered on CAF for $35k. Then pulled and offered on CLink.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative - I just want to be sure we all have our facts straight, especially as it relates to the pricing of art in this hobby of ours. We all come here for information (among other things) - and I just want to make sure the information is correct.

I know the eBay buyer.

I know the ComicLink seller.

The piece was never posted on CAF, let alone offered for $35K on CAF. Neither ever happened. You must be confusing it with something else you saw on CAF.

A good friend of mine is a huge fan of '80s/'90s Batman & Robin. He asked me how much I thought he would need to bid to win this Breyfogle DPS from Batman #457:

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=1088973

I told him that I couldn't see $5K not taking it. I mean, it's nice, but it's NORM BREYFOGLE. Who I like, to be sure, but he ain't Adams or Perez or Golden or Aparo. $9,400 is what it sold for! Bronty might not be shocked unless pieces go for multiples over what he thought, but that is a shocking result to me.

I was only going for two pages. Won one and was the underbidder on the other. Both pages I thought went high for what they were (in fact, I'm still shaking my head a bit on the one I lost out on). Most things seemed to go high IMO, though it's curious that so many lots did not meet reserve. I kind of feel like some of those RNM lots would probably have made it to the reserve price had they been allowed to trade freely. 2c

I was glad to see that the winner of the Tomb of Dracula #67 cover won both the pencils and the inks (two boards that were auctioned separately) for that cover. Frankly, I thought it was poor form to sell those separately. Yeah, maybe the buyer put in big bids on both to ensure he got both of them (i.e., good for the consignor), but, that's really crummy I think to even allow the possibility of the winner of either piece potentially not winning the other to complete the set. I would strongly urge both future consignors and auction houses to not separate two obvious pieces that belong together as a whole. I mean, what's next - selling two halves of a DPS separately? (tsk)

A good friend of mine is a huge fan of '80s/'90s Batman & Robin. He asked me how much I thought he would need to bid to win this Breyfogle DPS from Batman #457:

I told him that I couldn't see $5K not taking it. I mean, it's nice, but it's NORM BREYFOGLE. Who I like, to be sure, but he ain't Adams or Perez or Golden or Aparo. $9,400 is what it sold for! Bronty might not be shocked unless pieces go for multiples over what he thought, but that is a shocking result to me.

I'm not surprised at all by the price.

That DPS was a huge moment for kids of a certain age who were pulled into Batman by the '89 movie. My whole sixth grade comic geek crew was reading Batman during the Tim Drake arc (436-457) and that spread was its culmination.

I saw the DPS at NYCC and it really pushed the nostalgia button. Then, I showed a pic to a friend a few years older and he didn't even remember it. I think you had to be there. I like Breyfogle quite a bit, but this is a piece where the artist doesn't really factor in to the auction result, IMO.

That DPS was a huge moment for kids of a certain age who were pulled into Batman by the '89 movie. My whole sixth grade comic geek crew was reading Batman during the Tim Drake arc (436-457) and that spread was its culmination.

I saw the DPS at NYCC and it really pushed the nostalgia button. Then, I showed a pic to a friend a few years older and he didn't even remember it. I think you had to be there. I like Breyfogle quite a bit, but this is a piece where the artist doesn't really factor in to the auction result, IMO.

Breyfogle was hugely popular around here in the early 90's amongst the 15-20 year old buyers.....I was working part time at an LCS then. Those guys are squarely in those prime disposable income days right now. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree. That was a big deal back then. it had happened before, but it wasn't as commonplace as it is now for a new person to step into the role of an established hero persona like that. It was a moment I remember being excited about.

Also, thanks for the nice words Solar. I have been wanting a Preacher page since I started reading the series with #1 and never pulled the trigger. I remember those old wildstorm ads, and probably should have bought a bunch back then. I've had my eye on pages for a while, but couldn't ever decide on one even when they were mostly selling as cheap as $500-$700. For years I've had a 1k limit on pages that I am keeping for myself, but I just couldn't stick to it anymore.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative - I just want to be sure we all have our facts straight, especially as it relates to the pricing of art in this hobby of ours. We all come here for information (among other things) - and I just want to make sure the information is correct.

I know the eBay buyer.

The piece was never posted on CAF, let alone offered for $35K on CAF. Neither ever happened. You must be confusing it with something else you saw on CAF.

Glen Brunswick. I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. His CAF at $35k. Having followed the eBay auction, when I saw it more than double in "value" (errr...?) overnight my eyes nearly popped out of my head :)

Quite memorable. I assure you.

Also, am I the only one that thinks $1500 for a Jim Lee Superman splash is ridiculously low??? I'm still kicking myself that I didn't bid more. Anyone??

even the better one that went for $3400 seemed low....

I know the eBay buyer.

Glen Brunswick. I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. His CAF at $35k. Having followed the eBay auction, when I saw it more than double in "value" (errr...?) overnight my eyes nearly popped out of my head :)

I think I remember that being in his for sale folder as well

I know the eBay buyer.

I think you're all thinking about this:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1150940

It's a different page.

Ron

Another enjoyable auction in the books. As usual, a few items

I am not surprised by the weak result on the Avengers #39 splash. Full disclosure: I was the underbidder when it came up on ebay last summer. When an obscure 2-Up Avengers splash emerges from a private collection on ebay, I'm motivated to take a swipe at it. But when that piece starts getting shopped around, it feels less special. It's not terribly well rendered, and it's not particularly historic or nostalgic (for me, at least). Conversely, I was very impressed with the Heck Black Widow sale. But it's historic, so I'm not shocked it sold for more than the Avengers splash.

I have to ask- if that is your opinion of the piece (not well rendered, not historic or nostalgic), why did you even want to own it in the first place when it was on ebay? .... and no, I am not affiliated with the comic link (or ebay) auction.

I know the eBay buyer.

It's a different page.

Ron

That clarifies it for me, that's the one I saw

I'm a little out of the loop on some of the new artists.....1400 for a Michael turner commission?

I think because he's long since passed away and has a very loyal niche following, plus never really produced commissions by the tonnage during his career, some of his commissions were cover quality (in fact many of his commissions I believe ended up becoming published covers for Aspen) and commanded high prices from the start (what he charged) and now that he's obviously no longer around to render any more, the demand for his art outweighs the supply available.

So, it's not that surprising to me.

The only new artists that I know of who I think can sometimes have commissions command value/prices that sometimes exceeds that of their published cover work are Mark Brooks, J. Scott Campbell, Frank Cho and Adam Hughes... and they're not necessarily new names, having been in the industry for a decade or even two, but since I'm from the Silver / Bronze age, I consider 'em young (i.e. new).

Thanks for the info, it's out of my collecting area so I was curious.

It's a different page.

Ron

Well shee-oot. Could be my mistake after all. Sure is "similar but not the same". Not certain either way now. And note to all that I'm publicly manning up to that!

"Could be my mistake" and "Not certain either way?" I think you're getting as far as boying up, but but I'm not certain either.

This is silly. You should only name someone if you are certain.

I never bought or put up for sale that Avengers 39 splash.

I have the Avengers 23 splash, which is inked by Romita. That was on my CAF, and was at NY. It has a large image of Scarlet Witch with those beautiful Romita inks. This was also Romita's first job at Marvel which in my view makes it historic.

The 39 is a much less valuable piece IMO. Not a piece I like very much either.

Glen