• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Link's Fall Auction - November 12, 2015

262 posts in this topic

syEuWr.jpg

IHIszc.jpg

i0DzrX.jpg

My three wins. I bid on all three of the Archer & Armstrong pages, and was surprised this one went the lowest of the three since it prominently features Archer, Armstrong and Turok.. IMO it's the best one. I also felt like the Bruce Timm went criminally cheap. I'm more of a Marvel guy anyway, so an X-man is fine by me.

I think I should have my head examined for not bidding more on that Jim Lee Superman splash that only went for $1500. That seems way low to me. Opinions?

Avengers 39 splash from eBay 15k to "somebody" on CAF for $35k to CLink for $12.5k heh heh. Not every bet pays off :)

Wow, I didn't know the back story on this one. And here I was thinking that it was nice to see Heck getting some love. I thought $12k was strong for a Heck splash.

Sounds like someone was betting on Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/wasp action from the movie appearances.

Oops is right.

Ended: Aug 23, 2015 , 12:49PM

Winning bid: US $15,431.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-art-Avengers-39-SPLASH-page-Don-Heck-George-Bell-Marvel-Comics-1966-/161793350050?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=u6BVfzYwt28AvkVpDU%252FZzOkZ25k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Okay - hold on. That is the winning eBay bid and we now know the winning bid in the Clink auction tonight. You're saying that right after the August 2015 eBay auction someone in the CAF community paid more than double what it went for in a public auction...and then decided to put it in another public auction ~ 3 months later under the bet that they were going to make MORE money on the same piece? That makes absolutely no sense. I'm not sure who 'somebody' is...but you have to have confused some information along the way in piecing your original string of values together. Unless you personally know the 'somebody'?

I didn't say it sold off CAF, just that it was listed at $35k. My guess is no bite and the eBay winner was the CLink consignor :)

Wagner Batman and The Monster Men #2 Splash got some love but not from me at $ 1,350.00. That was a really nice splash page.

Had my eye on it too, as we were all talking Matt Wagner a week ago ha ha. But I was only good for $850 or so, not even $1k. Not a deal up and over.

$4,900 for a Sienkiewicz New Mutants page. A record for sure.

I actually liked the one that ended at $2,300 even more. It didn't have the splashy panel, but it did have them all in action.

Somebody have the link for those two? I was only following the Shadow painting.

Avengers 39 splash from eBay 15k to "somebody" on CAF for $35k to CLink for $12.5k heh heh. Not every bet pays off :)

Wow, I didn't know the back story on this one. And here I was thinking that it was nice to see Heck getting some love. I thought $12k was strong for a Heck splash.

Sounds like someone was betting on Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/wasp action from the movie appearances.

Oops is right.

Ended: Aug 23, 2015 , 12:49PM

Winning bid: US $15,431.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-art-Avengers-39-SPLASH-page-Don-Heck-George-Bell-Marvel-Comics-1966-/161793350050?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=u6BVfzYwt28AvkVpDU%252FZzOkZ25k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Okay - hold on. That is the winning eBay bid and we now know the winning bid in the Clink auction tonight. You're saying that right after the August 2015 eBay auction someone in the CAF community paid more than double what it went for in a public auction...and then decided to put it in another public auction ~ 3 months later under the bet that they were going to make MORE money on the same piece? That makes absolutely no sense. I'm not sure who 'somebody' is...but you have to have confused some information along the way in piecing your original string of values together. Unless you personally know the 'somebody'?

I didn't say it sold off CAF, just that it was listed at $35k. My guess is no bite and the eBay winner was the CLink consignor :)

This may be nitpicking, but "from EBay $15k to 'somebody' on CAF for $35K" implies that it sold to somebody on CAF for $35K. Don't know how you could interpret it any differently.

The loss isn't nearly as shocking, and the story isn't nearly as compelling if it went from $15k to $12.5k.

I'm a little out of the loop on some of the new artists.....1400 for a Michael turner commission?

I think because he's long since passed away and has a very loyal niche following, plus never really produced commissions by the tonnage during his career, some of his commissions were cover quality (in fact many of his commissions I believe ended up becoming published covers for Aspen) and commanded high prices from the start (what he charged) and now that he's obviously no longer around to render any more, the demand for his art outweighs the supply available.

So, it's not that surprising to me.

The only new artists that I know of who I think can sometimes have commissions command value/prices that sometimes exceeds that of their published cover work are Mark Brooks, J. Scott Campbell, Frank Cho and Adam Hughes... and they're not necessarily new names, having been in the industry for a decade or even two, but since I'm from the Silver / Bronze age, I consider 'em young (i.e. new).

This may be nitpicking, but "from EBay $15k to 'somebody' on CAF for $35K" implies that it sold to somebody on CAF for $35K. Don't know how you could interpret it any differently.

The loss isn't nearly as shocking, and the story isn't nearly as compelling if it went from $15k to $12.5k.

Sure I could have thrown a few commas in there to ease comprehension...what can I say, it's the 'net...poor grammar happens?

And um, net of CLink fees it's (26.7%) in 3 months. It's a big loser for sure.

Another interesting and entertaining auction to participate in, with numerous surprises to the plus and minus sides.

Whether you won a piece or just missed out; whether you are a seller or just a spectator, one thing is absolutely certain: this site needs significant updates! In its current format, it does a disservice to buyers and sellers alike.

Thoughts?

Sure I could have thrown a few commas in there to ease comprehension...what can I say, it's the 'net...poor grammar happens?

How would adding a comma help? Adding the word "offered" would have helped, as in "offered on CAF for $35K". Just because it's the "net" is no excuse for misinformation. :sumo:

How would adding a comma help? Adding the word "offered" would have helped, as in "offered on CAF for $35K". Just because it's the "net" is no excuse for misinformation. :sumo:

And further along the lines of misinformation, that piece was never offered on CAF at any price after the eBay auction. In fact, it was never posted to CAF. I was curious as to who won the eBay auction and checked CAF frequently. Never happened.

Or I could have kept the information to myself and you'd still be in the dark? C'mon...let it go :)

And fwiw it could have sold off CAF for $35k. Or any number under. And subsequently traded hands ten times since non-publicly between four dealers, doubling each time, leaving only the last one without a chair when the music stopped, taking the big hit? I mean...anything could have happened between eBay's documented sale (I know the seller personally) and the CLink sale last night (which for all we know may not end up being paid for, right??) That convoluted scenario is unlikely though. My intention was not to mislead or spread misinformation.

We do all understand that posted numbers on CAF are hardly anything more than a starting point (in many cases) and what's marked sold isn't always really sold unless you see it end up in the gallery of somebody else that you trust not to be fulla sh... Yes?

Another fun one is that Neary Cap 325 splash, an incredible azz shot, that sold on eBay for $494 in March, was immediately listed on CAF for $850, no takers all year, then closes on CLink at $800 last night. Maybe all on the up and up, or maybe some shilling to get "close" to the original $850...I dunno, but I do know that the collectors out there that follow things weren't biting higher than $500 nine months ago and definitely weren't biting at $850 (or best offer) for the rest of 2015. Who knows why $800 on CLink suddenly made sense to at least two people? Just one that makes me wonder. I was interested to the original $500, sort of, but even so...facing the wrong way.

And further along the lines of misinformation, that piece was never offered on CAF at any price after the eBay auction. In fact, it was never posted to CAF. I was curious as to who won the eBay auction and checked CAF frequently. Never happened.

Not true. I saw it with my own eyes. Offered on CAF for $35k. Then pulled and offered on CLink.

Another interesting and entertaining auction to participate in, with numerous surprises to the plus and minus sides.

Whether you won a piece or just missed out; whether you are a seller or just a spectator, one thing is absolutely certain: this site needs significant updates! In its current format, it does a disservice to buyers and sellers alike.

Thoughts?

Do you want a site like HA.com and all the fees associated with making a purchase there? I pay a 3% buyer's fee at Comic Link what's my fee at HA? 15%. I'll keep the older website if I don't have to pay that type of BP.

I buy in almost every auction they have had since I started bidding over there. To follow an item I place a small bid on it the first day the auction opens. That way I can pull it up in my bids and follow the pages for the entire length that they are going. I still have items saved from three years ago that I can go back and look at.

It may not be slick and new like HA.com but it isn't as expensive to buy from them either. I think that is a fair trade and I'm willing to make it.

Lastly, Comic Link consistently ships my purchases faster than HA. I'm still waiting for my items purchased and paid for before Thanksgiving from HA to ship. I'll call Comic Link today and pay for my pages. Based upon past experience, I bet they ship Tuesday at the latest.

Wagner Batman and The Monster Men #2 Splash got some love but not from me at $ 1,350.00. That was a really nice splash page.

Had my eye on it too, as we were all talking Matt Wagner a week ago ha ha. But I was only good for $850 or so, not even $1k. Not a deal up and over.

It went for a price that was beyond what I thought it would do. I was thinking around the $750.00 range. It was a nice page though.

I won the page! I thought for sure it would get closer to 2k. I love the page mostly for the dialogue with Jesse and Tulip talking about Cass. It even has that off panel app. of Jody and TC. Psyched to have it!!

Preacher page = 1500

Preacher commission = 800

Cool page - congrats! I think it was held back a little because it was shopped to death last year for around $1200. That was before the show preview came out and the AMC hype hit overdrive, so I think you did well all things considered.

There definitely aren't many (or any) Jesse/Tulip pages from that arc available right now.

Another enjoyable auction in the books. As usual, a few items surprised me on the high side but a lot of decent material went quite reasonably. As usual, the big time sales seemed to be slugfests between two motivated collectors. Always fun to watch (as long as I'm not bidding).

I lost out on the Breyfogle Batman dps featuring the 1st Tim Drake Robin. I thought 9k would do the trick, but someone wanted it more. It's a sweet little piece of DC history and my hearty congratulations go out to both the buyer & seller!

That Marvel Premiere #17 cover should have gone for more, IMHO. It's a great Kane cover and is only the 3rd Iron Fist appearance. I won't say that 20k is cheap, but that cover is a real keeper. I hope one of my friends bought it.

I am not surprised by the weak result on the Avengers #39 splash. Full disclosure: I was the underbidder when it came up on ebay last summer. When an obscure 2-Up Avengers splash emerges from a private collection on ebay, I'm motivated to take a swipe at it. But when that piece starts getting shopped around, it feels less special. It's not terribly well rendered, and it's not particularly historic or nostalgic (for me, at least). Conversely, I was very impressed with the Heck Black Widow sale. But it's historic, so I'm not shocked it sold for more than the Avengers splash.

The Ron Lim SS page with all Thanos panels ended at $2,675.

MMMmmm...Lim or Kirby. I wasn't actually that into this Lim page, as much as I love him.

I went pretty hard at this page but at least 2 people wanted it more... got shredded on every piece I bid on this auction :(