• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Link's Fall Auction - November 12, 2015

262 posts in this topic

Was the $35,000 for the Starlin Warlock 12 cover considered a bit low? I figured it would go a lot higher.

From what I've seen of the market including interiors and splashes that seemed about right.

Wow, it was offered to me for $60,000 cash or $75,000 trade just a few months back, and I seriously wanted to get it, but circumstances caused me to back away.

Was the $35,000 for the Starlin Warlock 12 cover considered a bit low? I figured it would go a lot higher.

From what I've seen of the market including interiors and splashes that seemed about right.

Wow, it was offered to me for $60,000 cash or $75,000 trade just a few months back, and I seriously wanted to get it, but circumstances caused me to back away.

Hmm...I don't think there's a comp in the Starlin market in that range that's I've seen.

Lost almost every bid I placed. Only a manual snipe at the last second brought this one home. It may only be a advertisement piece so I'm sure I overpaid but it doesn't bother me a bit. It is an early published Turtles piece with all 4 turtles. This is exactly what I was looking for so I'm happy to check that one off my want list.

RADA6AC520151110_162657.jpg

Congrats! I was the under bidder and really was hoping to get a cool TMNT example.

Lost almost every bid I placed. Only a manual snipe at the last second brought this one home. It may only be a advertisement piece so I'm sure I overpaid but it doesn't bother me a bit. It is an early published Turtles piece with all 4 turtles. This is exactly what I was looking for so I'm happy to check that one off my want list.

congrats!

Between that and the other piece you bought recently, you're all omar2_zpsvzkdof4h.gif

hm

You should know better by now, Dan. You can't expect to ever save any money if you collect art !

I think that's terrific and I'm not even a Turtle fan. Nothing against them, but I passed up issue #1 on a spinner and never caught the bug. :)

Anyway, I've always wondered. How did Eastman and Laird split the work? I've never known who did what.

Hmm...I don't think there's a comp in the Starlin market in that range that's I've seen.

I love ALL Starlin stuff from this era, but this is one of my least favorite Warlock covers. I talked to the seller when he was shopping it, and I think the 35k is probably about right for this cover, so hammer not a surprise.

Scott

$4,900 for a Sienkiewicz New Mutants page. A record for sure.

I actually liked the one that ended at $2,300 even more. It didn't have the splashy panel, but it did have them all in action.

Somebody have the link for those two? I was only following the Shadow painting.

NM 19p9

NM 20p22

$4,900 for a Sienkiewicz New Mutants page. A record for sure.

I actually liked the one that ended at $2,300 even more. It didn't have the splashy panel, but it did have them all in action.

Somebody have the link for those two? I was only following the Shadow painting.

NM 19p9

NM 20p22

Very nice (and thanks). I agree with you, 20 page my preference too. I miss the days these were a coupla hundy each :(

Hey, my old piece! Its amazing in person so big congrats. Thats one of a few pieces i wish i had held onto, thoigh selling it helped buy a grail piece.

I think that's terrific and I'm not even a Turtle fan. Nothing against them, but I passed up issue #1 on a spinner and never caught the bug. :)

Anyway, I've always wondered. How did Eastman and Laird split the work? I've never known who did what.

Early on, they shared. One would ink, the other pencil. Then they would switch up. Eastman generally did most of the painted covers

So the art was returned with Eastman keeping the odds (1,3...) and laird the evens (2,4...). Is that coincidental or is that because they kept the issues they pencilled?

Stylistically, at least from the covers, that would seem to fit? 2,4 look more laird and 1,3 more Eastman at least to my eye

RADA6AC520151110_162657.jg

Hey, my old piece! Its amazing in person so big congrats. Thats one of a few pieces i wish i had held onto, thoigh selling it helped buy a grail piece.

You guys have done business before and you don't even know it ;)

I think you're all thinking about this:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1150940

It's a different page.

Ron

Well shee-oot. Could be my mistake after all. Sure is "similar but not the same". Not certain either way now. And note to all that I'm publicly manning up to that!

"Could be my mistake" and "Not certain either way?" I think you're getting as far as boying up, but but I'm not certain either.

Thank you for this.

The Ron Lim SS page with all Thanos panels ended at $2,675. :popcorn:

I preface this with the fact that I like Ron Lim's art quite a bit, and his run on Silver Surfer is solidly great work. I also understand that Thanos is a hot property at the moment. But am I wrong for wondering when the heck Lim SS panel pages started selling for this much money? Or is this just inflated price from bidding frenzy? Thoughts?

meh. I don't know the market for that work but.... a hand, a buncha silhouettes...

There was a time back around 2000 or so, when these pages were harder to get ahold of, and the work was seen in a somewhat similar light among Batman of collectors as Killing Joke and to a lesser degree, DKR pages. I wouldn't have been surprised to see this one hit 7k at all, given that it is mostly silos. I seem to recall seeing non-hero pages in the 5-8k range, with decent hero pages running well up into the high teens just a handful of years ago.

But I also seem to see more pages coming up for sale lately, where for a time they were very rare to see, so it could be impacting totals?

The Ron Lim SS page with all Thanos panels ended at $2,675. :popcorn:

I preface this with the fact that I like Ron Lim's art quite a bit, and his run on Silver Surfer is solidly great work. I also understand that Thanos is a hot property at the moment. But am I wrong for wondering when the heck Lim SS panel pages started selling for this much money? Or is this just inflated price from bidding frenzy? Thoughts?

Lim SS panel pages featuring Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet have been selling for over $2k since last year. Given that a panel page from SS #45 sold for $2.4k in the Feb 2015 CLink auction, $2.7k for this one isn't a surprise. I made a strong run at this page as it leads into the one I own, but got outbid by at least 2 others.

What really shocked me was $5.8k for the Perez IG page with a Thanos headshot in the bottom panel. $15k for the Starlin IM #55 page with Thanos' feet was also surprising.