• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,424 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Holy Smokes this is not the time to start collecting precode crime

1632584B-0388-453D-8509-8C1C60EC0462.png

Considering a GD copy will probably run you at least 1500 these days, I suspected this would close around 20K with BP.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Some crime covers are just boring and wordy...

21840991109_12ce7e6dea_c.jpg

Atlas seemed to make a habit of cramming as much text as possible into their crime covers, an interesting contrast to much of their war and western output. Gleason was just as bad in the late 40s with their books, which always struck me as odd since I imagine their initial success had a lot to do with the dynamic uncluttered covers their titles began with. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, rjpb said:

Considering a GD copy will probably run you at least 1500 these days, I suspected this would close around 20K with BP.

I got mine from Terry ‘Neal about 10 years ago. Never seen it until he pulled it out of a box. I think I paid around $150. for a solid pretty copy. Thought I paid way too much at the time. :roflmao:

Seems like anything with a “Promise” slab equals nose bleed money. This is a cool book either way.

I’ve always thought crime books were under priced on the classic ones. 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Robot Man said:

I got mine from Terry ‘Neal about 10 years ago. Never seen it until he pulled it out of a box. I think I paid around $150. for a solid pretty copy. Thought I paid way too much at the time. :roflmao:

Seems like anything with a “Promise” slab equals nose bleed money. This is a cool book either way.

I’ve always thought crime books were under priced on the classic ones. 

I used to have a low grade copy I sold for a couple hundred about a decade ago when I prematurely purged much of my collection of classic coversdoh!. I'm not sure why I sold it as I tend to keep classic crime books unless I upgrade. I guess I thought of Gunmaster as more of a hero strip than a crime strip at the time. One of the few books I've parted with where the regret is not just financially based. 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:54 AM, rjpb said:

Atlas seemed to make a habit of cramming as much text as possible into their crime covers, an interesting contrast to much of their war and western output. Gleason was just as bad in the late 40s with their books, which always struck me as odd since I imagine their initial success had a lot to do with the dynamic uncluttered covers their titles began with. 

Yeah, I wouldn't buy a word cluttered book like that, except that it came in a small collection of books that I paid about $1.50ea for...it might even be worth $2 now...hmlol

On 1/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Love these! :applause:

Same. It's a great run of covers. No damsels in distress here... these ladies are kicking azz and taking names! (It's funny how the famous decapitation cover of #20 is actually kind of an outlier.)

On 1/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, fifties said:

Here's my run of FAC;

Fight Against Crime 1-9.JPG

Fight Against Crime 10-15.JPG

Fight Against Crime 16-21.JPG

Nice!  I'm lucky enough to be in the same position. Story Publications really knew how to deliver the goods huh?. Problem is, other than maybe Hy Flieschman and AC Hollingsworth, their art just never held a torch to the masters over at EC...

comfightagainstcrime20pair.jpg

On 1/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice!  I'm lucky enough to be in the same position. Story Publications really knew how to deliver the goods huh?. Problem is, other than maybe Hy Flieschman and AC Hollingsworth, their art just never held a torch to the masters over at EC...

The two you mentioned, although good, simply were not in the same league as the EC bullpen.  In fact, I can't think of any other comic book artists at their level, maybe save for some of the Atlas guys, like Bill Everett, and Joe Maneely.  Bob Powell would also be in that group.  I know I'm missing a few others.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, Grottu said:

Low grade copy, but a fun one that I always wanted, depicting a “lineup” of Simon & Kirby studio artists Ben Oda, Joe Simon, Joe Genola, Mort Meskin and Jack Kirby…

8E46ED4C-C765-47B9-B6C4-0A8C68DC06BC.jpeg

You never see that one in the wild (thumbsu