• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Just got these today from a Heritage win:

Uncle Scrooge #8

us8.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #8 back cover

us8b.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #10

us10.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #10 back cover

us10b.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #15

us15.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #27

us27.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #28

us28.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #28 back cover

us28b.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #29

us29.jpg

What were the Heritage grades on these beauties?

Here is their description:

Average FN-. Includes #8 (has a rusty top staple), 10, 15, 27, 28, and #29 (has a 1" tear on the back cover)

#8 is the best of the bunch - I'd say it is a NM (except for the rusty staples), and the rest present really well, so I think Heritage is pretty close (erring on the safe side).

What were the Heritage grades on these beauties?

Here is their description:

Average FN-. Includes #8 (has a rusty top staple), 10, 15, 27, 28, and #29 (has a 1" tear on the back cover)

#8 is the best of the bunch - I'd say it is a NM (except for the rusty staples), and the rest present really well, so I think Heritage is pretty close (erring on the safe side).

The rusty staples are really noticable on the number 8. A beaut. otherwise.

Even tho I collect mostly Silver Marvel my favorite stories are Bark's Uncle Scrooge. Pardon my low grade ugly comics but the stories are wonderful. Picked this up on a road trip to Calgary last fall. Always the Marvel Zombie I prefer Disney with Marvel chipping.

fourcolour178.jpg

Had to have this when I spotted it in the fall during a trip to New York City. Gotham City Comics was the place. The owner of these comics liked to punch holes in the top left corner, 3 holes for 1953, 6 for 1956. God I'm glad he didn't punch 1953 holes for 1953.

fourcolour367.jpg

Edited by thehumantorch

Congrats! I was tracking that lot myself because issue #10 is one of the ones I am missing for my "reader run." Let me know if you ever want to trade it.

And does anybody know who "UncleScrooge928" on the Registry is? I have sent him a couple messages over the past year without receiving a reply but I know that spam filters block a lot of the Registry emails.

Is anyone here going for this auction lot Sunday in Heritage:

"Robert Overstreet Comic Memorabilia (undated). A bevy of photocopied rare giveaway comics, photostats of early comic book art, correspondence, and other unusual ephemera, from the collection of Robert Overstreet, the publisher of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, make up this interesting lot. Included are photocopies (some in color) of rare Carl Barks Donald Duck comics, including Donald Duck Tells About Kites and the legendary unpublished Silent Night Christmas story banned by Disney; photocopies of obscure variant Super Book comic giveaway covers and pages; photocopied pages from If An A-Bomb Falls and Candid Tales (featuring a splash page drawn by Wally Wood); stats of early gag pages by George Peter (Wonder Woman artist H. G. Peter); plus correspondence from Phil Levine and Ron Evry, and a few other odds and ends. Fascinating stuff, from one of the prime movers and shakers in the collectible comics business. Not listed in Overstreet. From the Robert M. Overstreet Collection."

I am interested in getting copies of the Kite stuff for my research. Don't want to bid a bunch for a bunch of photocopies, but I am unsure if there is something there that's driving up the price. Already at $24, which is like $40 delivered.

Lot on Heritage

Maybe not a duck, but this seems to be the default Golden Age funny animal thread.

I was pleased to win this one for a modest price. Classic Sheldon Mayer! There can't be too many of them around.

Jack

(Seller's scan)

60172-52cb_1.JPG

The boards needs a dedicated funny animal thread!

It's either here or the Short Bus!

Great book! (thumbs u

Thanks!

Looking forward to having it in hand.

Jack

Is anyone here going for this auction lot Sunday in Heritage:

"Robert Overstreet Comic Memorabilia (undated). A bevy of photocopied rare giveaway comics, photostats of early comic book art, correspondence, and other unusual ephemera, from the collection of Robert Overstreet, the publisher of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, make up this interesting lot. Included are photocopies (some in color) of rare Carl Barks Donald Duck comics, including Donald Duck Tells About Kites and the legendary unpublished Silent Night Christmas story banned by Disney; photocopies of obscure variant Super Book comic giveaway covers and pages; photocopied pages from If An A-Bomb Falls and Candid Tales (featuring a splash page drawn by Wally Wood); stats of early gag pages by George Peter (Wonder Woman artist H. G. Peter); plus correspondence from Phil Levine and Ron Evry, and a few other odds and ends. Fascinating stuff, from one of the prime movers and shakers in the collectible comics business. Not listed in Overstreet. From the Robert M. Overstreet Collection."

I am interested in getting copies of the Kite stuff for my research. Don't want to bid a bunch for a bunch of photocopies, but I am unsure if there is something there that's driving up the price. Already at $24, which is like $40 delivered.

Lot on Heritage

:news:

There seems to be a photocopy of the DD tells about kites -Florida Power and light version. The one "no-one" has seen... and thus many has thought it doesn't even exist...

I submit the following for your consideration

I got my information here:

http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?id=106

and here:

http://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicsgwkt.html

as well as my own collection and notes in overstreet price guide.

Here is how I suggest history goes (I tried to fit all the facts together.)

June 17th, 1954: First version created (8 pages), probably the "Generic" Version

July 8th, 1954: PG&E and SCE want some customization.

1.PG&E gets an eighth kite flying rule (making the list match the one

in Pinocchio Kite Fun Book) Panels 7.1, 7.3, 7.4, 8.3 are modified.

2.SCE gets their name put on the truck, and "call edison company"

instead of "call electric company. (Panels 7.3 and 7.4)

3.First six pages need no modifications, so pages 1-6 are inked.

{This would explain the 8 panels of roughs and 6 inked pages this date.)

{Well, most of the 8 panels}

Nov 29, 1954: Publication date on base of blank/generic copy in Heritage auction

(now in my possession but sealed in plastic)

Feb 5, 1955: Date on PG&E Library copy (Comiclink, also now in my possession.)

I propose there are THREE versions

1. Generic: This is shown in CBL, includes the FP&L copy, the blank indicia box copy, and the "label" copy mentioned in overstreet this year. Western probably made these avalable to other utilities, either blank or with their name printed on. Some utilities may have left blank, others put a label over blank box, and at least FP&L probably paid extra to have their name printed on.

2.SCE: As described. SCE logo on truck should match the logo on last page of brer rabbit book below.

3.PG&E: PG&E has more modifications, as described. If you looks through Pinocchio, you'll notice the last page has PG&E all over it. Makes the DD pages look expected. Western probably knew going in they would be creating different versions. The did the year before.

Finally, why I am saying all these, I am intersted in any information on PINOCCHIO LEARNS ABOUT KITES. If somewhere here buys the lot at heritage, please share that information with me. So far I have only come across 3 1/2 copies of Pinocchio, all PG&E. The only other mention I have is the FP&L mention on that FP&L donald photocopy.

And the prize for anyone who got these far (and didn't peek earlier:)

Pinocchio Learns about Kites (pdf) (PG&E Disney File Copy)

Brer Rabbit - A Kite Tail (Southern California Edison)

Edited by Kite_Fun_Books