• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,442 posts in this topic

Very sorry to see that, Transplant. Many of us know what it is like to have an expensive book like that come back in a purple holder. Not that it will be much comfort, but I would note that I do believe the seller you bought it from sold it in good faith. I've bought many books from him and the 3 I've submitted so far have all been unrestored. I'd try to talk with him and see if I at least could trade it for one of the other books in the same price range. I've virtually stopped buying raw books uninspected since I got burned on eBay 7 years ago. Like CGC or not, for me collecting has been a lot more enjoyable since I switched to certified books.

TB: He and I have agreed to meet to discuss whether a total or partial refund will be given. I am considering having the ct removed also.

Just a few books you don't see often in these grades. Unfortunately, the PG&E Kite book won't stay with me for long. I have a much nicer copy of Mickey Mouse Magazine V2#3 but this file copy is the second best I've seen.

dis_group_041908.jpg

Just a few books you don't see often in these grades. Unfortunately, the PG&E Kite book won't stay with me for long. I have a much nicer copy of Mickey Mouse Magazine V2#3 but this file copy is the second best I've seen.

dis_group_041908.jpg

It's hard enough to find one of those books in that condition, much less four! :o

Beautiful books! :banana:

lf.jpg

What is the premium, if any, of this comic?

(Note: It is neither a SCE or PG&E edition, although the artwork is the same as SCE edition)

(It is in Heritage’s auction upcoming)

Background:

1952 PG&E issued it’s own kite safety comic

1953 Western issued Pinocchio Kite safety comic.

Exist with and without PG&E in story line (I think)

Only other utility I know of is FP&L.

1954 Western issued Donald Duck Kite safety book

Exist with out without PG&E in story line.

Without PG&E: SCE, reportedly FP&L, and now blank

(Multipies known of PG&E/SCE, perhaps unique FP&L/Blank)

1955 Western issued Brer Rabbit Kite Fun Book

All copies same except utility name in indicia box.

It looks to me like there is a major difference in the first two having PG&E editions. That probably isn’t surprising, as perhaps Western started out preparing for PG&E and tried to make more money on the side selling to other utilities. I have or know of about 10 different issues with blank indicia box. It looks like they were either used as sales examples or sold to utilities that didn’t want to pay extra to have their name printed on. I saw a printing plate for the 1978 Kite Fun Book, and PG&E was on the printing plate itself.

I know how us Kite Fun Book people feel about it (at least I who collects all by utility.) How do you Carl Bark fans feel? Is it an important Unique item I will be outbid on next month, or is it a minor curiosity and similar to a different shoe store on a March of Comics indicia box?

Edited by Kite_Fun_Books

No worries. I've never been a Ducks fan but ever since I've been handling those books I've come to appreciate the simple genius that went into making them. Glad I could share the goodness!

R.