• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,455 posts in this topic

Wow. It looks VF+, and the cover art is great! I vaguely remember the story, which I probably have read in translation.

Thanks! Through the slab, at the correct angle, you can see a book length crease on the bottom edge. Doesn't break color and it is extremely light but it is there. I bet it could be pressed out and the book would be a 7.5/8.0. Nicest looking "Fine" I've ever seen! :cloud9:

Generally you don’t have this problem (cover creases) with DIsney italian comics of the 1930s and 1940s, since they were printed on an uncoated, heavier and a little porous paper. That Donald Duck however, appears a late issue, I see it has Jack Bradbury art, so I guess 1950s…?

Generally you don’t have this problem (cover creases) with DIsney italian comics of the 1930s and 1940s, since they were printed on an uncoated, heavier and a little porous paper. That Donald Duck however, appears a late issue, I see it has Jack Bradbury art, so I guess 1950s…?

Correct! It came out late 1952/early 1953.

Edited by mdktkd2

Back when I was a kid there was a guy from New York who sold comics for ten or fifteen cents at an indoor stand at a flea market. In later years he would sell back issue Marvels for 50 cents to a couple of bucks. I picked up a good run of TOS and CA there. But I always liked to peruse his front stall where for the price of two or three nickels you could pick up some interesting obscure four color glory. I still have two original Classics Illustrated from that stand and some old IW reprints of fifties comics.

But what I really remembered was reading an amazing Uncle Scrooge story featuring an amazing illustration of a breaking money dam. It wasn't until the late seventies when I finally picked up a nice copy of Uncle Scrooge #1 that I realized I had read that story as a kid in reprint form. That would have been in this very odd 1965 reprint which contained both a Poor Old Man and Mummy's Ring.

I don't remember reading Mummy's Ring and with it's iconic ending scene on the Nile I think I would have remembered that. My brother had probably grabbed the book after I read the title story and that was that. This book is odd in that it has a newsprint cover; not sure what is up with that.

Anyway, I just got a nice copy from a trusted seller on EBay for a pittance (Scrooge would be proud!). This one is all about the memories!

128948.jpg.131523a75c8d7117ea0576a2738ee8fb.jpg

Memories like that are priceless. Some of my own earliest memories from my childhood are about getting Disney comics as gifts, reading a Barks story for the first time, going through bargain bins dreaming about finding an early comic from the late 1960s, ...

---

Just bought this because it looks far better than the grade. The red just pops and the back cover looks much whiter than the scan.

th_DD_27_CGC_front.jpg

The coloring of that cover is wonderful and makes for a beautiful copy. The artwork looks very unusual for Barks, though. The editors at Western had a long list of requests for cover art, including that the ducks be drawn as large as possible, their heads be disproportionally large relative to their bodies, facing the reader etc. All of these rules seem to have been broken in this layout for some reason and I think that's why it appears "different".

The coloring of that cover is wonderful and makes for a beautiful copy.

Agreed :applause:

@40Yrs: Could be nice for you to know that cover image for Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Giant was used as the cover for issue #1 of our 1980s "Zio Paperone" series, which reprinted all the Carl Barks stories, a series which is now pretty sought after by collectors, since it was the first "newsstand" publication to reprint all Barks stories in a systematic way. :)

1454866-it_zp_0001a_001_super.jpg

@40Yrs: Could be nice for you to know that cover image for Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Giant was used as the cover for issue #1 of our 1980s "Zio Paperone" series, which reprinted all the Carl Barks stories, a series which is now pretty sought after by collectors, since it was the first "newsstand" publication to reprint all Barks stories in a systematic way. :)

1454866-it_zp_0001a_001_super.jpg

The covers of the first few issues of Scrooge contained figures that were smaller which allowed more action or perspective. I still have my original copy of that pulp paper covered giant. I enjoyed the story so much that it started my collection of Uncle Scrooge which was cheap back in the early sixties. I sold it in the seventies but repurchased in the eighties when prices were at their peak.

5558519912_ea0e287c32_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I read the Only a Poor Old Man story last night before going to bed. This was after dealing with four boys at a birthday party for five hours including swimming outside in 100 degree weather! It was hard to keep my eyes open but the story was as good as I remembered!

It is interesting how Barks used this introduction story to compile all of the little details of Scrooge's character that would play out in the series. There are flashbacks to the Alaskan Gold Frontier and the Montana badlands. The Beagle Boys are also presented as a fairly sophisticated breed of criminal; I think that varied in subsequent stoires. Of course in the end their greed is their downfall and Scrooge outwits them.

Tonight I will read Mummy's Ring. The juxtaposition of the Barks artwork from the early forties to the early fifties is quite interesting in this little comic!

This is my favorite comic pickup for the summer! Who says you can't find bargains in the old comic world.

Back when I was a kid there was a guy from New York who sold comics for ten or fifteen cents at an indoor stand at a flea market. In later years he would sell back issue Marvels for 50 cents to a couple of bucks. I picked up a good run of TOS and CA there. But I always liked to peruse his front stall where for the price of two or three nickels you could pick up some interesting obscure four color glory. I still have two original Classics Illustrated from that stand and some old IW reprints of fifties comics.

But what I really remembered was reading an amazing Uncle Scrooge story featuring an amazing illustration of a breaking money dam. It wasn't until the late seventies when I finally picked up a nice copy of Uncle Scrooge #1 that I realized I had read that story as a kid in reprint form. That would have been in this very odd 1965 reprint which contained both a Poor Old Man and Mummy's Ring.

I don't remember reading Mummy's Ring and with it's iconic ending scene on the Nile I think I would have remembered that. My brother had probably grabbed the book after I read the title story and that was that. This book is odd in that it has a newsprint cover; not sure what is up with that.

Anyway, I just got a nice copy from a trusted seller on EBay for a pittance (Scrooge would be proud!). This one is all about the memories!

I remember buying that one off the stand, as well. I remember even as a kid being puzzled by the newsprint cover. Maybe a failed experiment by Gold Key? There's a similar 25 cent reprint issue from that period that reprints "The Old Castle's Secret" and another story or stories. The cover is printed on regular cover stock, though.

I read the Only a Poor Old Man story last night before going to bed. This was after dealing with four boys at a birthday party for five hours including swimming outside in 100 degree weather! It was hard to keep my eyes open but the story was as good as I remembered!

It is interesting how Barks used this introduction story to compile all of the little details of Scrooge's character that would play out in the series. There are flashbacks to the Alaskan Gold Frontier and the Montana badlands. The Beagle Boys are also presented as a fairly sophisticated breed of criminal; I think that varied in subsequent stoires. Of course in the end their greed is their downfall and Scrooge outwits them.

Tonight I will read Mummy's Ring. The juxtaposition of the Barks artwork from the early forties to the early fifties is quite interesting in this little comic!

This is my favorite comic pickup for the summer! Who says you can't find bargains in the old comic world.

I wonder if "Only a Poor Old Man" is Barks's most reprinted story? It's the title of the first volume of Fantagraphics new Scrooge reprint series. Interestingly, they don't use the FC 386 cover as the cover of the book, although they do reprint the cover in the interior.

I remember buying that one off the stand, as well. I remember even as a kid being puzzled by the newsprint cover. Maybe a failed experiment by Gold Key? There's a similar 25 cent reprint issue from that period that reprints "The Old Castle's Secret" and another story or stories. The cover is printed on regular cover stock, though.

You are referring to the Best of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge #1, which reprints "FC #189 - Old Castle's Secret" and "FC #408 The Golden Helmet." Issue #2 reprinted "FC #256 - Luck of the North" and "US #7 - Seven Cities of Cibola." The cover of issue #1was modified to include Uncle Scrooge, whereas the original only had Donald and the nephews. In my poor student days, I bought these reprints before going after the originals just so that I could read the stories.

You are referring to the Best of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge #1, which reprints "FC #189 - Old Castle's Secret" and "FC #408 The Golden Helmet." Issue #2 reprinted "FC #256 - Luck of the North" and "US #7 - Seven Cities of Cibola." The cover of issue #1was modified to include Uncle Scrooge, whereas the original only had Donald and the nephews. In my poor student days, I bought these reprints before going after the originals just so that I could read the stories.

I never noticed the modified cover. Is it known whether Barks redrew it? Old Castle's Secret and Golden Helmet were probably my two favorite duck stories as a kid. A couple of years later I picked up a really beat copy of FC 422, Gilded Man, which is also a great favorite.

I never noticed the modified cover. Is it known whether Barks redrew it? Old Castle's Secret and Golden Helmet were probably my two favorite duck stories as a kid. A couple of years later I picked up a really beat copy of FC 422, Gilded Man, which is also a great favorite.

The new cover was penciled by Tony Strobl, according to http://coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=us%2FBDDUS+1